“Great Place to Stay at Old Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town

You added Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town to your Saves list
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104 (Formerly Sheraton Old Town Hotel)   |
Affiliate website
Special Deal
Breakfast in Old Town
Ranked #18 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Anaheim
“Great Place to Stay at Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Recently refurbished, this hotel retains much of the old town ambiance. I have traveled all over the world on both business and personal vacation and can truly say there is no more friendly staff than here. From the maintenance personnel to the maid staff to the front desk, you can pass by some one without them wishing you a good day, engaging you in conversation or asking if you are having a good stay at the hotel. I wish every place I stay could be this friendly. Te
he room furnishings are a little dated, but the rooms are nice. Good value though. Within an easy walk of Old Town.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

the lobby area is nice and updated. But the room wasn't very clean (tortilla chips and a pill on the floor near the bed) and the noise of the AC cycling on and off was awful. It kept waking us and our baby up. When I asked the front desk, they said all AC units were that loud and changing rooms wouldn't help. We are moving to a better hotel after my work meeting is over.

• Stayed May 2012
Shannon L, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us. I apologize about the noisy air conditioners. We are servicing all our units as we prepare for the busy summer months. We hope you come back to see us again, i'm sure our staff will do all they can to ensure you have a better stay.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. I always try to book hotels that reflect the local character of a place as opposed to a national chain because they usually provide better service and a better experience, but I was disappointed in this one.

The rooms are very dated. This is obviously an older building that has not undergone much updating. The lobby and public areas were nice, but it seems that all of the attention has been placed there and not in the guest rooms. Our room had two air-conditioning units, but one was turned completely off when we arrived and the room was very warm. We turned it on and realized quickly that it had been turned off because it was so loud and made such a horrific noise it was impossible to carry on a conversation, much less sleep with it on. We turned it off to sleep and just turned the temperature way down on the other, but the room was still a little warm for our taste.

The room was also oddly shaped. We booked a jr. suite and appreciated the extra space, but due to the shape of the room, it was difficult to see the television from anywhere in the room, and it could not be viewed at all from the seating area. The bed was situated right beside the closet, which had mirrored sliding doors, so while in bed, you could always see yourself in the mirrors. Very odd.

The bed was very uncomfortable, as well. All of the pillows were flat or lumpy. I called housekeeping to request firmer pillows, but I was told that there were none, so we tried to make do with what we had. I do not like down bedding in all but the coldest climates, and since it was very warm in the room due to the air-conditioning issues, we removed the duvet from the bed and were just going to use the extra blanket we found in the closet. When I spread the blanket out over the bed, I noticed a huge yellowish white crusty stain in the middle of it. I can only imagine what it was! I called housekeeping again to ask for a replacement blanket, and one was brought up quickly, but I still questioned its cleanliness.

The hotel provides free wireless internet access, but it was nonfunctional for the entire first day and night of our stay. I called the front desk several times to ask about it and was told they were working on it. We had some access the second day, but it was very spotty. I appreciate it was provided without additional charge, but I would happily pay for something that consistently worked.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. If you walk all the way through the conference areas, you exit the hotel right across the street from Old Town. We were disappointed that there did not seem to be any way to get back into the hotel on this end though, forcing us to walk back to the front of the hotel through the parking lot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the feedback and are always looking for ways to improve so we will use this information to fine tune our operation in hope that you will return. You can be assured that all key managers will have received your comments and will address each issue.
Thank you for booking with us, we appreciate you giving us an opportunity to serve you and we hope that you will return in the future to see all the improvements we will have made.
Santa Fe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Mainly the price, I thought was a bit on the high side. The room was fine, large enough with one king bed, clean, the tub didn't drain fast enough so at the end of the shower I was in ankle deep water, front desk staff very friendly and accommodating, It is next door (walking distance) to Old Town Albuquerque. For me it is 3.5

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard side, you will have a balcony, the other side of the hotel just has...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I apologize about the slow running drain, we appreciate you letting us know about this problem and we have corrected it. I'm glad to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating, we do our best to provide the best service we can. We hope you return to see us again.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Albuquerque one night. Rooms were fine if they were priced much lower. I did not feel the room was great value for the price paid. The room was small with an old CRT television. It also lacked amenities such as a refrigerator that are standard in many other rooms. I felt as though the carpet was old and outdated. I noticed the tub had been painted over. The old color was showing through in several places. Walls were paper thin and could constantly hear the room next door having what seemed to be normal conversation as well as guests walking in the hallway. Our room did have a balcony overlooking both downtown Albuquerque and the Sandia Mountains, and the view was fantastic. Actual cream with the coffee service was also appreciated. The staff there was wonderful. They saved a stay that would otherwise have been below my expectations. They were very friendly and helpful. They made me feel at home. I feel with updating this hotel would have the ability to a gem with its location, views, and outstanding staff. The only thing holding it back is a building in need of updating.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Thank you for the nice comments about our staff. We are planning some renovations in the near future. We really appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I was there for a conference in May, 2012. The facility is done in a classic, south-west motif. Very warm, calming, comfortable and inviting. The common areas are all delightfully decorated. The are are garden areas and out door seating (including rocking chairs) to relax it. There are several sections that would serve well for a wedding or reception (I believe there is a chapel like building on site). The pool is away from the main building but nicely isolated, extremely well done and maintained. Jacuzzi there as well. Rooms were comfortable (bed was great), quiet, fully equipped, well maintained. Conference center rooms were clean, versatile, well lit and comfortable. Staff was exceptionally courteous and professional and made good suggestions about activities in the area. It's about 2 blocks from Old Town. I'd definitely stay there again and I hope to encourage conference organizers that I work with to host a meeting there. I can't remember when I was last that relaxed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a great reveiw of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax. We look forward to your next visit.
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My stay at the Hotel Albuquerque as a business traveler was a wonderful experience. The rooms were comfortable and clean (I had a balcony)! The Business Center was so easy to use and the conference coordinators were wonderful to work with. The Information Technology personnel were especially helpful with making our trainers comfortable with the technology they were going to use for their classes.

All personnel...front desk...restaurant...housekeeping...were hospitable and more than helpful. Several times they went above and beyond.

The hotel was a very convenient walk to wonderful restaurants and Old Town. If you use Sunport Shuttle to and from the airport, you will only pay $28.00 round trip.

I live in the Southeastern region of the United States where we are know for hospitality. Hotel Albuquerque demonstrates that hospitality reaches the Southwestern region as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Shannon L, Manager at Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all the great comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It is great to hear that our staff went above and beyond to accommodate you. We hope all our guests feel this way as we make a daily effort to please our guests with the best of service in hope they will have a splendid stay and return.

Been to Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town? Share your experiences!