“Treated Like Dogs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Albuquerque East

You added Howard Johnson Albuquerque East to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Albuquerque East
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Hotel Circle NE, Albuquerque, NM 87123 (Formerly Quality Inn & Suites Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #100 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Clovis, New Mexico
“Treated Like Dogs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

If you like paying a lot of money for people to treat you like a pet, then this is the place to stay! Check in was ok, the check in staff was friendly. When we entered our room, we walked into a spider web across the face. The property is old and run-down. Bent nails were sticking out of the wall, the breaker boxes are right on the wall in clear view, red and black stuff was smeared on the walls in various places, and paint was missing. Not exactly what I would expect for 200.00 for one night. The cleanliness was lacking as there was hair stuck on the shower walls and the bed spread. All of this would have been tolerable, but when we went to breakfast we were told it was closed an hour early. When we checked in we were told it was open 6 to 9 and the schedule in the room said the same. But when my family and I went down to have breakfast at 8:30 we were told by a very annoyed employee that breakfast closed at 8, but that there might be some leftovers we could scrape up if we could find anything. I plan to be writing the company about this.

Room Tip: Pick a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
alhafiz a, Night auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about our hotel. After reviewing your comments, I would like to express my concerns and ultimately come to a resolution with your past stay. It is our goal to commit to our guests satisfaction and realize that certain things may get overlooked from time to time. I look forward to speaking with you in the immediate future. Again, thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Helpful and friendly staff with the exception of the housekeeper for our room. We're smokers and they had a smoking room available. The maid for the first 4 days of our stay would stock the room but not clean it (probably due to the smoke smell). Numerous deficiencies (lamps, clock radio, headboard, artwork, sink faucet) all operational, just in need of attention. The bathroom floor was above hot so the AC was needed almost constantly (in October!) I think the water heaters for the building are just beneath it. On the upside, good price for all they included (airport shuttle (not advertised), balloon fiesta shuttle, breakfast). The restaurant advertised no longer serves food and, as a bar, needs a total makeover. Otherwise, great staff, passable room.

Room Tip: Near several restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

alhafiz a, night auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We got excellent care from Sam. He helped us with our conference room and was available to make any adjustments we needed. Never before have we become acquainted with such a hard-working individual who took pride in his work. We appreciate all the hotel did to make our stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
alhafiz a, Night Auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, October 5, 2013

Richmond, va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Wow. I must truly say this has been an experience so far...and we have only been in the room for 20 minutes. It took 25 minutes to FIND it. It is NOT attached to the lobby of the hotel. It is a MOTEL around the corner behind the bar. We had to go back to the lobby because we couldn't find it. Well...maybe if the room numbers were all on the outside of the rooms you could find it. Our room said "1" on the number plate as the other ones were rubbed off. The neighboring rooms on motel alley were the same. Great second impression. There is no way this is a quality inn hotel and suites....it is a motel...period. I took about 10 photos when I got in here because I couldn't believe it. First, I tried to plug in my cell to charge it. Well...that can't happen because the plug falls right out of every outlet except the one in the bathroom sink area. The lamp didn't light and the alarm was off because they can't be plugged in for more than 20 seconds. There is no bedspread...just a sheet...a blanket and another sheet on top of that. The fitted sheet doesn't even fit the bed. We don't think the sheets were changed for OBVIOUS reasons. There is an old exposed circuit box in the bathroom area. The mirror is cracked, there is a three foot long water stain on the ceiling - along with another one on the other side of the room; the toilet tank lid....it doesn't even fit the toilet tank; the TV is a box TV from the 80's, and in the corner...there is a little old cube fridge with a microwave balancing on top of it. Seriously??!?! I am truly nervous for what else I will find before we high tail it out if here in the morning. Oh..almost forgot...the bathroom door has a hole in it at the top.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
alhafiz a, Night Auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, October 3, 2013

Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

As a Diamond member of the Choice Privileges frequent guest program, I stay in Choice properties frequently, of which Quality Inn is one brand. This Quality Inn was completely satisfactory, although not exceptional, and provided a comfortable stay.

Check-in and check-out were both handled by gracious, helpful folks. The hotel lobby is nice, attractive, and spacious. There's a computer for guest use - which actually worked (!) - and a breakfast area is adjacent. I did not sample the complimentary breakfast but assume it was the typical fare served at Quality Inns.

The motel consists of multiple buildings. My room was in an adjacent building. The room itself was of ample size and adequately furnished. The bed was comfortable, and the room itself was clean. The climate control worked properly and was not unusually noisy, and the wireless internet worked satisfactorily.

The bathroom was also clean and outfitted with the normal Quality Inn amenities - shampoo, conditioner, and reasonably thirsty towels. The shower head was one of those low-flow types which put out an adequate, but less than robust stream of water, rather than a bold, satisfying flow, which, to me, seems to be a bit self-defeating, as one has to run the water longer in order to get enough flow to thoroughly wash and rinse.

The rooms are accessible off of an interior corridor, and while the building did have security locks on the building entrances that can be opened with the room key, the locks themselves were not operational, so that anyone could enter the building without a key. I did not feel any less safe because of this, as I did not notice anything in the surrounding area to be concerned about, but I mention it, because that's how I found it.

The hotel itself is located off of I-40 east of Albuquerque among a cluster of other budget to mid-tier motels.

Overall, I had a satisfactory, comfortable stay. I selected this particular property, because it appeared to be the lowest priced property in Choice Hotels' mid-tier group (Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn) in the Albuquerque area. Motel prices in Albuquerque seem, to me anyway, to be slightly on the high side, but, given that, the motel delivered adequate comfort for the price.

Various discounts are available at the brand website, including AAA, senior, and, if you know the discount code, various association and corporate discounts. Advance purchase rates are often available, and Choice Hotels offers frequent promotions whereby even infrequent travelers can earn free nights - worth checking out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Driving home (TN) on I-40 stopped in for the night. Someone forget to check the fridge and there was a can of Pepsi chilling unopened. I think my bf drank it while I was in shower. But other than that a great room.

• Stayed August 2013
alhafiz a, Night Auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, September 3, 2013

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Average reception services - totally ignored internet request for adjacent rooms; didn't provide 2-day key cards; and had difficulty processing check-out which could have been done prior to us reaching the counter.

Best part of stay was "breakfast" where the staff was exceptionally courteous and the food freshly prepared.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the far end of the facility, too much noise from the interstate hwy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

alhafiz a, Night Auditor at Howard Johnson Albuquerque East, responded to this review, August 30, 2013

505-271-1000

Been to Howard Johnson Albuquerque East? Share your experiences!