“Run down” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown

You added Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Medical Arts Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (Formerly Plaza Inn Albuquerque)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #108 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Run down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

There was more broken than operational, like the spa, fridge, blow dryer, micro, ice machine. The "Business Center" was a single S....L....O....W computer. The water pressure was non-existent, then, to add insult to injury, they lost all hot water for a couple days. There was a single shuttle van servicing all 5 floors of guests, so it was tricky to plan anything. The complimentary soap felt like it was made of sand and the little bottled items smelled bad. There was no room service - the adjacent restaurant had been closed for many years. The carpeting in the public areas was filthy and in severe need of replacement. There are no bus lines, stores or eating establishments within walking distance. Had we not been tied into a non-refundable deal with OneTravel,com, we would have cancelled and gone elsewhere after the first day.

Room Tip: Only one side of the hotel has views of the city.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Osage Beach, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I had a series of meetings in Albuquerque at the Embassy Suites, which was going to cost over $125/day. Looking on Google I saw the Plaza in was just across the street. I saw some very conflicting reviews here, and for the difference in price I thought I'd check it out. I called and talked to Joanne, who explained some things I didn't know.
The way I understand it Tripadvisor gets income from the various properties. The properties must sign up and there is some kind of remuneration changes hands. I suppose the hotel gets a more prominent position in the results or such. When the Plaza Inn declined to sign up suddenly the uncomplimentary reviews started showing up.

Joanne asked me to check the Plaza on other rating services, and sure enough, the ratings were higher.

So we went and stayed nearly a week.

Notes:
The staff was super.
It was clean,
The bed was good
Our first night we were on the side facing the highway. I'm a light sleeper so I was disturbed by the occasional motorcycle, so we moved to the other side.
Hot tub was excellent except the one night it was closed for maintenance.
The bathrooms have been recently remodeled.
The shuttle was prompt
The lighting in the room was poor. It got better after we had a bulb replaced. They had 130V bulbs, which last a long time but throw less light. I would have liked a lamp on the desk, too
The breakfast was hot and fresh
There are a few places where the wall paper is peeling, and there is various maintenance work that is needed for appearances. The A/C worked as it should (pet peeve of mine)
The view at sunset is magnificent.
The staff was super.

If somebody else were paying the bill, sure I would go to Embassy, but for my money I am well pleased with the Plaza

Room Tip: The one elevator is near the lobby, so a low numbered room is more convenient.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your unbiased and accurate account of your stay! In responding to all reviews I ask the readers to please contact me or any of the staff so that we can address your concerns and make you as comfortable as possible. I'm so glad you did so and took the initiative to call and check other website reviews. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel was the best and the morning staff was great! They helped me alot on my question to be answered. I hardly stayed in the room cuz I was all over Albuquerque and having fun. The pool was great but still need to work on the weight room but other then that everything was great! Im staying here next time when I come back to Albuquerque

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sun City, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great price, but the place was a bit run down. There was no lighting at all at the desk. Room just seemed dark. Cancelled another reservation we originally had. Would not recommend. Just felt "icky". Just not worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lenoir, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

The tub was really clean, thank goodness. The bed was comfortable. The Lighting was a bit low for my tastes. We were in a room overlooking the highway(3 rd floor), so noisy but not unexpected. Didn't partake of breakfast so I can't comment on it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This place is a terrible. It is outdated and filthy. The only plus the rooms are relatively quiet. Therefore they are small and the furniture is worn out. Everything smells old and smoky. Don't stay there. Pay the extra few $ and stay at a decent place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
PlazaInn, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
This is the second review I have responded to concerning the smell of smoke. As I have said before, we do have two smoking rooms on the basement level, which makes me wondered if the reviewers may have been on that level. As with all hotels, we have different room types at different rates, and if one was to book on line at an exceptionally reduced rate, one should expect to be in the best room in the hotel. If we are sold-out, guest have to be situated as to price paid and as this reviewer states "you get what you pay for..." That being said, if any guest - at any rate - would just let our staff know about their concerns - we will do our very best to make them comfortable - and if we can't - we will refund their money and help them find another hotel.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

EVERYTHING Reeks of smoke, elevator ceiling missing, 24-hour coffeebar is a joke, pool not open, breakfast food looked scary, & my feet were black from going barefoot in the room. Got Premium Cable? No! Great mattress though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
"EVERYTHING Reeks of smoke"...to coin the reviewers term, "Really?" There are only 2 SMOKING rooms in our 120 room, 6 floor hotel - and they are in the basement - at the very end of the hall on a separate ventilation system. We even have a strict policy, which guests sign at check-in - notifying them that $250 will be charged for anyone smoking in a non-smoking room.

I checked with Maintenance and they did have to take panels out of one of our two elevators in order to work on the lighting...and as with all hotels, our pool has to be cleaned and maintained so there are times when it is closed - but only for short amounts of time. I apologize for the cable not being "Premium" but we subscribe to the only cable company in town so there is little we can do in that area. I'm also unsure as to what the reviewer expected our 24 hr. coffee bar to be - but we have an automatic coffee dispenser with regular, decaf & hot water for tea - with all the sugars, creamers, ect. located in our breakfast area with comfortable chairs & tables and even a flatscreen, color TV for the guest's use.

The most disturbing comment in the review was "my feet were black from going barefoot in the room".! Our carpets are cleaned on a schedule, as are all hotels, but suitcases and luggage racks are pulled in from the parking lot daily - not to mention people coming and going from outside - Honestly, there is not a hotel in existence where a person should go barefoot on the carpet and I would not recommend anyone reading this review to do so - in our hotel - or any other.

Been to Howard Johnson Albuquerque Midtown? Share your experiences!