“convienient location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn Albuquerque I-40 East / San Mateo

You added La Quinta Inn Albuquerque I-40 East / San Mateo to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn Albuquerque I-40 East / San Mateo
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2424 San Mateo Blvd Northeast, Albuquerque, NM 87110-4053   |
Ranked #91 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Hackensack, New Jersey
“convienient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Although I was hoping for a different La Quinta, I wound up with this one from Priceline. The MOTEL was clean and convienient, though of the old fashion variety where there are no interior hallways. You had to get fully dressed to walk outside to the lobby for the limited breakfast. Not really an issue. The only issues I found were the small toilets and the ever present homeless guy who has made his home between the on-site Dennys and a utility building adjacent to the motel. The is road construction in the area but there is no noise and should be completed shortly. A visual tour of the area gives the impression of quite dead at night since it's somewhat business and industrial, but is is safe, although one must be buzzed in to access the lobby at night. On the positive side, there are many restaurants and stores in the area and the location is on 2 bus routes.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

The first tip off to trouble was upon checking in and receiving the old plastic hole punched key. Haven't seen those in so many years it made me wonder. As I entered the room I see two double beds, haven't seen those in facilities in a very long time unless it was older.

When asking for a room with a queen size bed we were informed the only room with a larger bed, a king, was in the smoking section and would cost more.

Talk about a total surprise, well this was one. So just be sure you ask all the questions that pertain to your desires.

Stayed August 2008
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

The room rate on the internet was $69.00 the sign on the hotel said "rooms from $39.95" Not a good start. The first room was missing the television, there was a coffee pot that had not been emptied and electrical outlets that did not work. The front desk did not know they were missing a TV. The second room had a coffee pot and a TV, the remote didn't work. The staff couldn't fix that. The upper level floors creak so bad it is impossible to sleep when the guests upstairs walk around the rooms until 1AM. The third room had a TV and remote that worked however the coffee pot did not fit the coffee maker. All three rooms were grungy with a moldy smell. The microwave in the breakfast room didn't work and we were not able to order a movie. No one on the front desk in the evenings was willing or able to fix any of these problems. This was the absolute worst hotel experience I have ever had.

Stayed November 2007
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

This in one of the older ones. I had room 210, it was pretty dirty, hairs all over the toilet, and sink. But I was tired and meeting friends, so I just let it go.

The next morning, the shower did not work and had little hot hot water. I took a cold bath and had to squat down in the tub. Fun, that early in the morning. I did not even bother going to the front desk.

Some of the newer ones in other locations might be better, but I am off La Qunita for a while anyway!!!

This one is at 2424 San Mateo.

Stayed September 2007
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

My stay at this motel would have been much better had the keys worked properly. The internet worked well, the room was clean, and the location off the highway/minutes from downtown was nice. And that's about it. The keys for all the rooms are old pieces of plastic with little holes punched in them. You put the key in, open the door, and then remove it. The first time I used it, it was fine, but then failed to work after that. The girl had to re-issue the key by adjusting something inside the door and re-punching new holes in the plastic. She even said that room had problems before with keys (then why has it not been fixed?). The next morning, I tried to use my new key and it did the same thing. I went back to the front desk and the man said I could switch rooms. He said he didn't know why they hadn't switched to regular magnetic keys and it wasn't just me who had problems with them. The maintenance guy had to let me in with the master key and I moved my stuff to the room next door. It was a hassle not only because I shouldn't have had to worry about it in the first place, but also because I have been on the road for a month and had a month's worth of luggage with me. The guy said he has to fix keys all the time and it's a recurring problem - same as the girl the previous night. When I spoke to the front desk manager the morning of my check-out, she was completely unsympathetic, did not even offer an apology or anything else, and said she didn't know why there was a problem with the key because there were never any problems (then why would the rest of the staff say there were?).

• Liked — Clean room, nice area
  • Disliked — Getting shut out of my room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I think this place has improved since the last reviews in 2004. I was
assigned this La Quinta via a bid on Priceline of $32 per night. This
place usually charges around $75 a night, though. I think they have remodeled the rooms here, since my room (228) had relatively new carpet, and everything in the room had just a general attractive appearance. The free breakfast was quite good; they had hot and cold cereal, bagels and cream cheese, yogurt, apples and oranges, plus coffee and juice. It only lasts until 9 a.m. Monday thru Friday, but until 10 a.m. on weekends. If you stay here, it's important to get a room in the back that doesn't face San Mateo Blvd., but away from the dumpster in the back corner that gets emptied early in the morning. The pool was dirty in early May, and I wonder when they'll make it ready for swimming. Denny's is right next door, and across the street is a shopping center with Boston Market, Starbucks, Circuit City, etc. Free wireless access and 25" color TV with cable. Noon checkout time! Overall I liked it, it's a nice step up from Motel 6 (although just like Motel 6, this La Quinta's room doors face the outside, so you can hear the maid's carts rolling by early in the morning. I rated this place 4 stars for the good value I got for $32 a night via Priceline. If I had paid the full $75 per night rate, I would have given it 3 stars probably.

• Liked — My remodeled room was nice for the price
  • Disliked — Everything was OK
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

We have stayed here several times because they accept pets. It has gotten increasingly bad over the past couple of years. The room maintenance is not good. Our last visit, for example, our toilet overflowed from the first and they kept trying to just stop gap the problem, instead of letting us switch rooms. We asked and they said they were too full, but didn't appear to be.

Then our continental breakfast consisted of moldy muffins. We complained and they didn't seem overly concerned and were serving the same the next day.

Then the maid didn't clean our room. We complained and they said someone would while we were out to dinner. At 10:30 pm we arrived back and the room wasn't done. We complained and the night manager acted like it wasnt' a big deal and offered for us to get our own linens and do it.

The next morning (check out) we complained about all of this again to the day manager and she gave us a discount. Over all, I could not recommend someone staying here.

• Stayed October 2004

Been to La Quinta Inn Albuquerque I-40 East / San Mateo? Share your experiences!