“Very Good Hotel in a Dodgy Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Andaluz

You added Hotel Andaluz to your Saves list
Hotel Andaluz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Second Street North-West, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (Formerly Posada) (Albuquerque Original Townsite)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save $20 on upgrades!
Ranked #8 of 148 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“Very Good Hotel in a Dodgy Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Man, I would love to give the Hotel Andaluz 5 stars for overall value.
- Reasonable price rooms (govt rate) even the larger suite
- No problem with dogs
- Green, very nicely designed and equipped rooms
- Great atmosphere in the lobby (furniture has definitely been upgraded since a previous review here)
- Great service
- Overall location is central in town and close to the highways

Some smaller nice issues:
- Breakfast plates are gourmet quality and reasonably priced
- Lobby food is a little pricey but very quality
- Bathroom amenities are high quality
- Powerful warm shower

But there are a few things, not all the responsibility of the hotel, that make me hesitate on the 5 stars:
- there is no pool - perfect weather for a pool but no pool, not on the roof, not even indoors on a floor or basement level
- there is no convenient place to walk the dog - they tell you the place caddy corner doesn't like you to bring animals to go, the sidewalks have no real grass or trees to speak of, there are no parks, and there is no small dedicated doggie area in the outside parts of the building itself
- the Lucia restaurant, while decked out nicely, with decent service, has an interesting menu, but the quality of the food simply does not live up to it - it's good but not great and the cost is high
- most important, as other reviewers have said, the neighborhood is dodgy with punk kids, apparent junkies, and some potential prostitutes and pimps within a block or two. So you don't feel very comfortable walking anywhere, especially in the late afternoon and evening. I guess on my own it wouldn't be too bad, but my wife walking there wasn't happy at all. Which is a shame because there are a few decent restaurants nearby, and a nice walking street - but the people are just dodgy.

They provide access to a sports gym roughly two blocks away, which is something, but on travel you don't usually wanna run down the street to hit the gym or pool, and in that neighborhood, again, it aint great. Just not convenient.

This place has a ton going for it, and I may stay there again next time just on quality. But the neighborhood needs to lobby the city government (which seems to be two blocks away) to clean up the nearby streets - a handful of cops should do it - and they need to put a small on-site gym there somewhere, maybe clear out two rooms; finally, bring down the prices of Lucia or bring up the quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Victoria,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel..... the exterior is very non-descript, but that changes quickly as you enter the lobby. It is beautifully appointed, as if you were entering a palace. Staff is very friendly and very accommodating... The rooms are large...ours had a seating area...but not very cool.....The temperature in our room was the one negative in our stay! The lobby bar is very cozy, but you can take your drinks into the lobby/living room. The Sangria Margarita was delicious. We had dinner at Lucia, and it was very good. A small combo was playing in the lobby area on this Friday evening...nice touch! After dinner, we ventured up to the roof-top bar, which was delightful. The view is not spectacular, since you are in the downtown area, but the mountains can bee seen over some buildings. There was a full moon, and it's rise was beautiful. We also enjoyed breakfast at Lucia. A perfect location for the evening before a morning flight....it is not too far from the airport.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear cooker72,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I only wish we had the opportunity to address your concerns with the temperature in your room during your visit as I am confident we would have rectified the concern. We are glad to hear however, that your overall visit was pleasant and you had the opportunity to enjoy multiple outlets. We hope to see you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here May 18th was greeted with excellent service from the Valet guy to Bell Hop to the service desk lady and the staff in the restaurant/bar. All around smiles and friendly. Kudos. The hotel has a nice historic spanish atmosphere. I checked out the library/study and was very pleased with the collection of books and updated computers. I stayed on the the 3rd floor in a nice small room. Which is my only complaint, the room and bathroom were a bit small for my taste and what i had payed for the room. Next time i will opt for a larger room. But don't get me wrong the room and bathroom were very nice and clean. The hotel is pet friendly but with an added $50 charge. Its location is very convenient to central (the main drag at night). Close to the train station but you don't here it. Close to a theater, shops and many restaurants. I also ate in the hotel @ Lucia, very tasty. I had the vegetable ravioli. Mmmm. Overall it was great stay. I would recommend for the excellent service and opt for a larger room. :0) oh, forgot to mention the gym, which is not located in the hotel but across the street and does have a pool.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear hitodito,
Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to visit multiple outlets and experience true Andaluz Culture throughout your stay. On your next visit please do not hesitate to inquire about our 12 different room types in order to find the room which suites your needs best. We look forward to your return!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a good hotel, well located, the building is historic and our room was very nice and very comforable. The staff is friendly and everyone seems to wantto make your stay enjoyable. The restaurant, while not the best in town, is quite good. I would sum it up by saying that this hotel is a very good choice for Albuquerque, but lacks the charm of some Santa Fe hotels, particularly the Inn of the Five Graces. You won't go wrong with choosing this hotel, but you won't rave about it either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear enjoy_the_best,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you back soon. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience and receive better insight on how we could have taken your visit to the next level. We are always looking for opportunities to enhance our guest services. Feel free to contact me at 505.242.9090 or if email is more convenient msanchez@hotelandaluz.com
Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Once inside the hotel, you will feel like you've walked into a casbah! Very opulent . The rooms are very "green" and energy efficient. However, we tried walking around the neighborhood in search of a restaurant, and we did not feel safe at all (hookers and drug dealers on the corner). Though it is on historic Route 66, this particular part of downtown ha sunfortunately seen better days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cinwantagh,
I am glad to hear your visit to our property was pleasant, and you had the opportunity to learn about our green initiatives. I am disappointing to hear however, that the downtown area did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you our downtown area is cared for by our Downtown Action Team who prides themselves with keeping our downtown clean and safe. We are a couple blocks away from the downtown night life which can make our area busier, but safe, just the same.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, we hope to see you back.

Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I loved this place! The trip was planned to visit Santa Fe; however, I loved ABQ so much more! I arrived well after midnight on the weekend after flying more than 8 hours and from the valet parking, to the staff bringing up our luggage, to providing the phone numbers for a local delivery restaurant, I couldn’t have been more accommodated. The room was on the 10th floor, which I would recommend a high floor for the view of the city and the neon lights of Route 66. The room had this quaint old safe built into the wall (inoperable but reflected the historic aspect of the hotel) The hotel is “green” which fits perfectly with the preservation theme. The room features bathrobes, refrigerator, coffee maker, and refillable toiletries. There is a club/bar on the rooftop and I wish I was awake enough to enjoy upon my arrival but next time! It really seemed fun! I traveled with my sister for a "girl's weekend" and only stayed one night and traveled on up to Santa Fe but upon hindsight we should have stayed in ABQ. This hotel was 45% less than the inn in Santa Fe and totally equal in service and site plus ABQ was livelier (Santa Fe is very quiet) The value received at this hotel is by far one of the best I have experienced. You absolutely cannot get more for your travel dollar. For equal experiences I have paid amongst triple at other inns. If you are visiting northern New Mexico I would recommend staying in ABQ at Hotel Andaluz and traveling the Turquoise Trail for a day trip and returning to ABQ to enjoy the nightlife. If you have an appreciation for historic structures which have been totally renovated you will also fall in love with the Hotel Andaluz.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor to view the neon lights of Route 66
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear LauraUSC,
Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit and had the chance to appreciate all the small details that give our hotel its character. We're looking forward to your next stay, and next time around we will be expecting to see you in Ibiza too!

Safe Travels,
Worldwide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Beautiful big rooms. Nice sheets. My wife loved this place. It's right on the old Route 66 - you can cruise down Central Avenue and check out all the old remaining R66 places. Some of them look like they've barely made it to this day.

But back to the hotel. Use the valet parking because it's the cheapest and fun to have valet parking. There is a nice library inside the artist where a film crew was hanging out and throwing around words like "we chased Ewan Macgregor"... We drank a happy hour beer at the outdoor cafe where a guy was singing. He sang really well, luckily. A lot of people dressed much better than me showed up to hang out.

I rate this hotel the best I've stayed in New Mexico. I'd stay here at any time. Oh yes, they also have a "green" policy, which is really cool too. The only bad thing I have to say is that I could not find any complimentary coffee in the morning and I am a coffee addict. They did have free lemonade.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Monica S, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear IMAdventures,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. I apologize that we neglected to advise we do offer complimentary coffee in the morning in our lobby from 5am-11am and have coffee makers for guest rooms upon request. We are glad to hear however, you had a great time and had the opportunity to visit and enjoy the hotel outlets, you never know who you will run into around here!
Thank you again for your time, we hope to see you back soon.