Man, I would love to give the Hotel Andaluz 5 stars for overall value.
- Reasonable price rooms (govt rate) even the larger suite
- No problem with dogs
- Green, very nicely designed and equipped rooms
- Great atmosphere in the lobby (furniture has definitely been upgraded since a previous review here)
- Great service
- Overall location is central in town and close to the highways
Some smaller nice issues:
- Breakfast plates are gourmet quality and reasonably priced
- Lobby food is a little pricey but very quality
- Bathroom amenities are high quality
- Powerful warm shower
But there are a few things, not all the responsibility of the hotel, that make me hesitate on the 5 stars:
- there is no pool - perfect weather for a pool but no pool, not on the roof, not even indoors on a floor or basement level
- there is no convenient place to walk the dog - they tell you the place caddy corner doesn't like you to bring animals to go, the sidewalks have no real grass or trees to speak of, there are no parks, and there is no small dedicated doggie area in the outside parts of the building itself
- the Lucia restaurant, while decked out nicely, with decent service, has an interesting menu, but the quality of the food simply does not live up to it - it's good but not great and the cost is high
- most important, as other reviewers have said, the neighborhood is dodgy with punk kids, apparent junkies, and some potential prostitutes and pimps within a block or two. So you don't feel very comfortable walking anywhere, especially in the late afternoon and evening. I guess on my own it wouldn't be too bad, but my wife walking there wasn't happy at all. Which is a shame because there are a few decent restaurants nearby, and a nice walking street - but the people are just dodgy.
They provide access to a sports gym roughly two blocks away, which is something, but on travel you don't usually wanna run down the street to hit the gym or pool, and in that neighborhood, again, it aint great. Just not convenient.
This place has a ton going for it, and I may stay there again next time just on quality. But the neighborhood needs to lobby the city government (which seems to be two blocks away) to clean up the nearby streets - a handful of cops should do it - and they need to put a small on-site gym there somewhere, maybe clear out two rooms; finally, bring down the prices of Lucia or bring up the quality.