“Almost Nice Hotel with a Loud Nightclub Problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Andaluz

You added Hotel Andaluz to your Saves list
Hotel Andaluz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Second Street North-West, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (Formerly Posada) (Albuquerque Original Townsite)   |
Special Offer
Diamond Jubilee Package
Ranked #6 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, IL
“Almost Nice Hotel with a Loud Nightclub Problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Hotel Andaluz is almost successful in being a nice hotel. We stayed three nights and there were things to like and there were things not to like.

The Good: Service is really nice. The staff makes a great effort to help out, get you what you need and does so in a can-do fashion. There were a few problems with erratic housekeeping, sporadic bell/valet service and an erroneous room service order but all were addressed energetically once they were made aware of the problems. The hotel lobby, restaurant and rooms are wonderfully decorated and the bedding is very comfortable. The showers are low-volume to save water and as Midwesterners, we missed our gushing showers but we appreciate the real need to conserve water in a desert climate and also were impressed with the full-or-half flush toilets. The overall vibe is hip, playing up the moorish influences and aesthetics with a big nod to the hotel's historic past and we liked it.

The Bad: The biggest problem is the loud on-site outdoor nightclub which is a real noise problem on Friday and Saturday nights. The hotel seems to strangely cater to this facet of their business to the detriment of their hotel patrons and any first-time or weekend guest won't be expecting the hotel to generate its own serious noise disturbance to spring on unsuspecting hotel guests in the dozens of unfortunate rooms above the club. Compounding the problem is the fact that those same nights are local cruise nights where (admittedly cool-looking) low-riders cruise around the surrounding streets with pounding stereos until the wee hours. All of this is fine unless a person wants to get some sleep, in which case you are out of luck. The rooms do not mask sound at all - it actually sounds as if the windows are open so you can hear the pounding nightclub music, the car stereos and the diesel city bus engines pretty clearly and, basically, it does not stop until about 2:00 am. If you want or need a quiet hotel or don't want to deal with the hassle of changing rooms if the noise is too much, you'll need to insist upon a quiet room or consider staying elsewhere.

The Go-Either-Way: Downtown Albuquerque has its challenges and has probably seen much better days so you may find it cool or you may find it seedy. It is close to the Amtrak station but it would be wise to use common sense when walking around, especially at night. Traffic on Central is pretty snarled (lots of cruising in the daytime, too) and can be a hassle.

The Bottom Line: A lot of the problems with this hotel are self-inflicted and easily remedied. If management can manage to address them resolutely and permanently, this would be a top-notch hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I visit Albuquerque in May 2012, and I found it to be cozy, romantic, "no kids for once". Staff was very nice, room was clean, I did have problems with the shower but they fix it right away. I read reviews of this place after a co-worker was talking about haunted hotels and I noticed that the internet mentioned this hotel. I never noticed anything different maybe because I was staying in the eight floor.
If I visit Albuquerque again I will definetely stay in this hotel again, it is in a convenient location. It is close to the train station and is a block away from this magnificient Brasilian restaurant!

Room Tip: Not much of a view but is located in downtown near the train station. If you choose to stay in this...
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night and we did not want to leave. We took the Rain Runner train from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. The hotel is right around the corner from the downtown stop for the train. Everything about this hotel in wonderful. The rooms, location, food, decor, everything, was top notch. Most importantly, we felt like we were really welcome there. Everyone was very friendly and engaging. The Food Director talked with us and wanted to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction. It's rare to find customer service as good as this nowadays. What a breath of fresh air. Kudos to the Hotel Andaluz!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I stayed at the Andaluz while attending a conference in Albuquerque, and my husband and adult son joined me for the trip. (We've learned to always look a little beyond the standard conference hotels for something a bit more unusual and interesting.) The Andaluz was beautifully decorated, and the art, music, and intimacy of the space created a wonderful atmosphere. We stayed in two different rooms (because we extended our stay beyond the conference dates), and both rooms were fine. One was more spacious than the other, but the smaller room had a terrific view of the city. The staff was excellent and went above and beyond to be helpful and accommodating. The Andaluz was in the same price as the conference hotel, but it had a smaller scale and much more personality and charm. If you want something a little different from the standard fare, this may be the hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was in Albuquerque for business recently, and I always tend to stay at Marriott's because of the point program, but a colleague convinced me to stay at the Hotel Andaluz. I was not disappointed. This is a historic building, but has been redone and they received LEEDS certification for the "green" features they put in to the hotel. The lobby is stunning and a great place to have drinks. The old architecture and the cute little coves to sit it make it a place we went back to quite a few times. We at in the downstairs restaurant twice and the upstairs outside bar/restaurant twice. Excellent each time. I stayed there a Sunday to a Friday. I have read complaints on Trip Advisor about noise. I think that's because the 2nd floor outside bar/restaurant has a DJ on Fri/Sat. I would definitely not have stayed in my room over the bar on Friday or Saturday, because I have read the place is really noisy, but no problem Sun-Fri. All the staff was wonderful and very helpful. My room was large and very clean. When you arrive, make sure to request a coffee set up and an ironing board and iron be brought to your room. They aren't automatically there, but if you request they replenish the coffee packets each day. There is also coffee in the lobby each morning. Valet parking is $16 a night, or you can self park in the lot right next door for $10.

Room Tip: If you are there Friday or Saturday, and don't like noise, don't stay over the 2nd floor bar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Hotel Andaluz for two nights in May 2012. The first room I was given (1001) had annoying noise from the adjacent elevator room, but the staff happily moved me without delay to a really cool room called the Zen Den. The rooms are clean with modern amenities (internet, ironing board and iron by request, flat screen TV etc).

The lobby area has a quiet room off of it that resembles a library - comfortable chairs, books, adjustable volume jazz music, computers for use, etc. There is also an upstairs bar area and the Lucia restaurant is attached to the lobby. I ate there one night and had an awesome steak and great creme brule.

We walked a half mile to Holy Cow for lunch one day, which I recommend highly. We also walked 1.8 miles to the iconic Frontier Restaurant, which is also worth checking out.

Anyway, my stay at Hotel Andaluz was great and I would love to return. They have a very friendly front desk staff, clean, unique rooms, free passes to a nearby Globo-Gym, a nice restaurant and reasonable rates.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Our first visit in February was for a week, so we were there for the live entertainment on Thursdays. If you want one of the casbahs, especially on weekends,make sure you call ahead to reserve one. We ate breakfasts, dinners and special event meals during this stay. ALL were excellent, as was the service. We stayed for another week at the end of March, during which time I came down with a little something and was wanting to eat something that was not on the menu........by this time, we'd established some rapport with just about everyone and felt comfortable asking if the chef could come up with something..............NO PROBLEM!!! I feel confident in writng that any newcomer would have received the same willingness to help. So kudos to the dining room team as well as Leto at Guest Registration. Take some time for yourself to enjoy the ambience in the Library...the music, the fireplace and thebooks. No pool or spa on site.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Koukla46,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Our Library is a very relaxing place to unwind. Our casbahs are rich in colors and relaxing at the same time. It is always wonderful to hear that our staff helped to make your stay memorable. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments with our Food and Beverage staff as well as Lito from Guest Registration.

Our mantra here at the Hotel Andaluz is that we never say "no" to guest requests.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Troy Byington
Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Andaluz? Share your experiences!