“Great Newly Remodeled Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Andaluz

Save Saved
You added Hotel Andaluz to your Saves list
Hotel Andaluz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Second Street North-West, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (Formerly Posada) (Albuquerque Original Townsite)   |
Ranked #5 of 146 hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
assd
“Great Newly Remodeled Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is great and is by far the best hotel in the entire city of Albuquerque for romance. I rediscovered this hotel when I was looking for a room for our wedding night. I looked all over the city and must have looked at over 12 different hotel rooms to find the best one. I saw a lot of nice ones but none compared to the quality, decoration, mood, and amenities as the romance suite at the hotel Andaluz. Not only that but the price I paid for the room was the best out of all the rooms I had seen to because the hotel was offering a special. My wife loves bath tubes and the room we stayed in had a huge out of the floor bathtub that we could very easily both rest in (no jets though although that also adds to the relaxing classic feel that we both like and find so romantic). The Beds are AMAZING!! We do not usually sleep very well in hotel beds and even have some trouble sleeping in our own but both times we have stayed there we sleep like rocks in their beds. Lets see what else? I think that is it the hotel is great and both my wife and I love it!!

721 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We arrived late at night bone tired and not knowing what to expect from the hotel we had booked the night before. We were more than pleasantly surprised from the moment we were met by the friendly staff at the Andaluz. Hotel Andaluz was built in 1939 as the first Hilton Hotel in Mexico. Don't let its age fool you. This hotel has had an extreme makeover. And our room was very comfortable with frette linens and great ambiance. We mustered enough energy after checkin (11 PM) to go have a cocktail at their messanine level bar and patio called "Ibiza" Call us shocked when we found Ibiza packed with early 30's and 40's aged folks all glamed up under the stars having a good time to an energetic DJ beat. Too much you say? Nah...that perked us up just watching the orderly scene. So much so we came back the next night as well! Now for the service at the Andaluz. All staff from bellman to reception to our room attendant VERY friendly and helpful. Truly we find the Andaluz a welcome respite in a sea of hotels where service and attention to guests has been forgotten. Can't wait to go back to Albuquerque and you can take the bet we will be at the Andaluz!!

Room Tip: We found a 10% off coupon in New Mexico magazine and, before booking, we spoke directly to hotel res...
Weston, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife, teenage daughter and I stayed at the Andaluz for four nights while visiting New Mexico. The Hotel is visually stunning with a warm and inviting lobby with many nooks with moorish designs and furnishings. The staff was very welcoming and accomodating. Housekeeping was prompt when we needed anything (you have to call for ice which is a small drawback but they were there quickly). The room was a bit tight with the sleep sofa opened (it was a blow up mattress which is 100 times better than most sleepers in a hotel, housekeeping come in to inflate it and make the bed). The room was nicely decorated and the only real drawback was the bathroom design which had a frosted glass door and didn't quite close all the way which could have lead to some embarrassing moments and years of therapy for my daughter if we didn't manage to block the gap in the door with a bathrobe!
The parking (self) was in an adjoining garage and you were given an access card which was fine except for the next section which is the neighborhood. Valet wasn't much better as a fellow guest had his car vandalized on Saturday night in valet.
The hotel is located in the commercial business district of downtown ABQ. The office building and surrounding services are fine. About a block away (walking toward the KiMo Theater) is a collection of bars and nightclubs that seem to attract some less that desirable types in the evening and especially on Friday and Saturday. In addition there is a pedestrian ave (I believe it was on 4th) that was chock full of homeless and where I witnessed a drug deal happening at 4PM on a Saturday. I know the old Rt 66 (Central Ave) is going through some revitalization but the city and the police need to do a better job of managing the safety of this area. I hope the Hotel forwards this to the city/police authorities as it is a shame because the hotel itself is a Gem.
Overall I would highly recommend this Hotel especially if it is for a stay during the week. It is close to the airport, minutes from OldTown and UNM/Nob Hill and access to the major highways. Just be mindful (as you should in any urban area) of your surroundings when venturing out in the evening. (see our review of the restaurant Lucia under the restaurant name)

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The Andaluz is one of those 'dream' hotels you think about on long flights in economy class. The outside is rather nondescript, but the inside is a world unto itself. The atrium is bathed in Spanish music. Small rooms off the main atrium have a separate atmosphere of their own, including some with waterfalls. The restaurant is superb. The staff is incredibly helpful. The rooms are well appointed. There is nothing else you need.

PS Want a real adventure ? Take the Amtrak Southwest Chief from Chicago (or Los Angeles) and stop in Albuquerque. The Andaluz is two blocks from the train station.

PPS Have dinner at Tucano's Brazilian restaurant (across from the train station). Call for reservations, though. :)

andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience while staying at the Hotel Andaluz. It is always nice to hear positive comments about the hotel and the staff. The Hotel Andaluz is an oasis in the desert. Please let me know if future plans bring you back to Albuquerque.

McPherson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

For those who love historic hotels beautifully restored and with fabulous service and amenities, the Andaluz is the first choice in Albuquerque. The restaurant, Lucia, has a very sophisticated menu at reasonable prices. Everything about this hotel is positive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive very hard to create a level of service that exceeds expectations. Please let me know when plans bring you back to the Land of Enchantment.

Regards,

Boston, MA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My daughter and I were visiting my niece who had moved to Albuqerque and she told us that this was THE PLACE to stay. She was so right! Every request was handled professionally and efficiently and the quality of our room was outstanding. My daughter was impressed that it was a designated "green" hotel and the room decor and furnishings reflected that
purpose. Overall, we would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Albuqerque!

andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us. We truly appreciate your kind words. We are very proud of our green program. We have been awarded with the LEED Gold Certification, only one of two historic hotels in the United States that can take claim to this honor. Please let me know if future plans bring you back to Albuquerque.

Regards,

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We ended up at Andaluz quite by accident, The property is amazing! Every accent throughout the hotel from the very cool architectural features to every piece of art and furniture is just amazingly well picked to combine the old and the new the location. For example the reception lobby uses the old room mailboxes as an art piece to show off cool chess pieces. (There are 100 other examples on the first floor alone).

The rooms are not huge, but they make very good use of space and all the appointments from the beds to the towels are as plush as can be found at any boutique hotel. Quality in room HD TVs, Ipod Doc, etc. everything you would expect from a good hotel.

The bar is FANTASTIC, it has a great outdoor deck with a view and atmosphere perfect for an evening cocktail. I don't use the term mixologist lightly when I say have one of their mixologists make you a cocktail, everything is fresh and delicious (ask for suggestions there is much more than what their cocktail menu holds).

The staff isn't stalkishly kind... meaning you are not followed around as I have felt at some hotels, but everyone is very glad to help. We ran into the Nightlife Director in the elevator and he was super excited that he was playing Pulp Fiction in the bar that night... we felt invited rather than feeling like we were being sold something. (Made for a great start to the evening). Although we didn't eat much at the hotel due to time, the breakfast and bar menu were fabulous. I look forward to trying the restaurant. There are some great spots to eat outside the hotel, don't miss the Standard Diner.

I left a big fan of Hotel Andaluz... and an even bigger fan of Albuquerque. I won't have to try very hard to find a reason to return. I would absolutely recommend a stay for business or pleasure.. I rarely take the time to review a property, but am writing this within an hour of getting home... it was that good. Hope this helps!.

andaluzmgmt, Manager at Hotel Andaluz, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words and great description of the Hotel Andaluz. We are so happy that you happened upon the hotel by accident. The owner spent years creating this gem and guest comfort was at the top of the list. We are very proud of our Albuquerque heritage, culture, staff and the architecture of the hotel. Our goal is to create an oasis in Albuquerque that guest can visit and feel like they are transported to a different place and time. Thank you again for your kind words. Please contact me directly if future plans bring you back to the Land of Enchantment.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Andaluz? Share your experiences!