“Typical Hyatt..met expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Vancouver
“Typical Hyatt..met expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

It was a typical Hyatt experience. The Internet and parking were very expensive compared to other hotels in ABQ. I would be more likely to stay at one of those hotels in the future. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
DEMETRIS A, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Chasicakes:

It was great of you to point out the positives you experienced with our staff. Please accept my apologies regarding the internet and parking charges. The parking garage is owned by the City of Albuquerque and we rent spaces. Although there is a charge for guest room internet, we do offer complimentary Wifi in our lobby and lobby atrium as an alternative. I am happy to advise that we continually benchmark with other hotels in the city to ensure that our hotel always remains competitive.

I certainly would love to have you come back if you are ever in the area. Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I continue my ever lasting search for a great hotel in ABQ.
The location of the hotel is downtown which I prefer, the area is safe as their is a police station across the street. The restaurants in the area are local and within walking distance, no chain restaurants around which is nice. Parking is under the hotel and was included in my package but there is a fee otherwise.
The lobby is magnificent. Huge, open and very active with people on their laptops and tablets. There is a real Starbucks! There is a bar that was dead but the attached restaurant 'Forque' has a very active bar. The restaurant is where they serve breakfast which was included in my package as well. The food is a bit better than typical hotel food but they are very proud of it and charge accordingly.
Upon check in I was informed that my booking of a king bed was merely a request and not a guarantee which always annoys me terribly so they put me in a double room. With two DOUBLE beds. Not queens. Doubles. I am 6'1" 235lbs. A double is like sleeping on an army cot. To make matters worse the bed was simply terrible. hard as a rock. The linens were like sandpaper and when you tried to get in the bed they exploded so it looks like you had a battle with the Orcs by morning. I slept terribly for three nights. It really made my trip miserable.
The room itself was somewhat spartan, very clean but very boring. There was a flat panel TV, yet no fridge, microwave or even coffee machine. There was a $1.50 bottle of water they want you to pay $5 for and thats about it. The shower was typically weak and the towels did not meet the standards of the brand. They were typical of much lesser hotel brands.
I liked the hotel, service was good and I love the location and lobby and restaurant. Yet I cannot recommend to stay here because of the beds and linens and lack of appointments of the rooms. If you can't sleep or sleep poorly the rest of the hotel is moot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DEMETRIS A, VIP AMBASSADOR at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
PHXTrainer:

It was great of you to point out the positives you experienced with our great location and restaurant outlets. Please accept my apologies for the room/bedding issue that you experienced during your stay. I certainly would love to have the opportunity to make this up to you so please feel free to contact me. Thank you so much for your candid feedback.

Safe Travels!
El Prado, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The customer service in this hotel is the best we have ever experienced and that's saying a lot because I choose places to stay, eat, ect. based on how good the customer service is. The suite we had was lovely, large and roomy. It was clean, well stocked and the decor was lovely. We had a special situation due to my husband going in for open heart surgery in a hospital in the same general area as the Hyatt. The staff went out of their way to meet our requirements. When I say, "out of their way" that includes greeting us with flowers, cookies, fruit and welcoming and efficient staff. It was the best hotel experience in my life, and I am not young :-). The VIP ambassador, Demetris, is outstanding. So is Lori, one of the managers, and Dorothy who I believe is the head of housekeeping. The valet parking was run smoothly and the staff was cheerful and eager to help. Kudos for this special place in a world of people who often seem to "care less"

Room Tip: I loved our corner suite over the restaurant!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MsCathie123: We are very pleased to see that our friendly and caring staff helped to make your stay a memorable one during your husband's open heart surgery. Thank you for choosing us and we love to see you and your family again very soon for a celebration!
Black Forest, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had a lot of the same problems as Matt 33332, like the charges added and then making sure they were removed (internet, starbucks, parking...), and the sheets, and the fact that not only is there not much to do around the hotel, but they warn you IN CAPITAL LETTERS not to go out walking - even in groups. Not a good recommendation. Let me also add:

We passed it the first time by because it doesn't even look like a hotel entrance. Then on the second time by, the valet was chatting with a friend parked right in the middle of the short pull-through registration lane - and we'd have to block traffic while we waited for them. It's on a one-way street - so each time around is a couple of blocks... On the 3rd time around we just decided to cram in there and annoy the guy and his friend.

It's hard to tell where the front desk is. I waited... and waited... at a couple of different locations, and finally went back out to ask the guys where it was. I was waiting at the right place, but it was 15 min. before someone showed up to check me in.

Then there's the room. Big enough. Standard corporate furnishings. But what's that I hear? A low beep... beep.... beep.... I told them I couldn't take it. They alleged that it is something in their fire alarm or suppression system, and that I couldn't get away from it. It's possible that they told me that just to get me to stay in the bad room, but if the whole hotel is that way, then there's no way I am going to recommend it to anyone. Just say to yourself, as you read all these reviews, beep..... beep.....

The only good point was that the concierge recommended the Gold Street Caffe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the constant beeping.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DEMETRIS A, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear GlyphGirl_CO,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property and for staying with us. Like any big city hotel, certain precautions need to be taken when visiting a new city.

In regards to the check-in area, we will ensure our staff are showing our guests where the registration area is located. As you may have noticed, once you enter the hotel through the main entrance to the right you see our restaurant, and, to the left, you will find our registration desk located around the corner.

We strive to continually improve the service we provide. Please contact me directly when returning to the Duke City so that I can help to make your stay more memorable. Safe travels!
Knob Noster, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week and I'm very pleased. The room is very clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and caring. My 2 year old even got free breakfast one day from the VIP guest manager. When we come back to visit Albuquerque again next year we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DEMETRIS A, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hi batida1980: It was certainly my pleasure to assist you and your family while you were staying with us. Exceeding our guests expectations and showing that we truly care is what we do best. We are delighted to see that whenever you are back in Albuquerque, you will stay with us again. Thanks for your wonderful review; Safe travels!
Buena Vista, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights while I was scheduled to attend a convention, but my wife did not. The Convention Center is right across the street, a great location for that, but not much else. Downtown Albq is devoid of anything except hotels and office buildings, so my wife had to travel out of the downtown area to find things to do. The hotel lobby is very modern and devoid of ornamentation, almost antiseptic in feeling with no color, and the halls and rooms are the same. The hotel desk staff was generally youthful, friendly, and helpful. The rooms are average size for this class of hotel, and the furniture was in very good condition. The bed was soft and springy, but I prefer something firm, and for some reason the sheets were not fitted nor tucked in very well. By morning they were all loose and wadded up around me, and this has not happened before anywhere. A liter of bottled water on the desk was $5.00 which I thought ridiculous. Internet access was difficult to log onto; you had to move through screens to pay for 1 hour, 1 day, or multiple days. The charges were added to your bill, but then later deducted at checkout. This is the most cumbersome and unreasonable system I have ever encountered. There are almost no decent restaurants in downtown Albq, and we discovered that we had to go to either Old Town or the University District to find something. We did eat at the hotel restaurant on arrival, and found the food quite good, but with a limited menu and somewhat pricey. We asked to be seated at 6:30pm, but were told there was no seating until 7:30pm. We could see into the large restaurant, that only 5 or 6 tables were occupied. Returning at 7:30pm, the same number of tables were seated, so I'm confused about why we had to wait. This is just not a total experience that I can recommend to others, nor will we stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello Matt33332: Thank you for staying with us for 3 nights while you were attending a convention and commenting about our Front Desk staff. We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to evaluate your experience with us.

Though it is always nice to hear when our efforts in guest service meet or go beyond a guest's expectations, it is just as important for us to know when we have not. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than memorable experience at our hotel regarding not finding much too do in the downtown area. Our wonderful concierge has the best contacts, information and knowledge regarding the Duke City and is always delighted to assist our guests with her expansive knowledge of local attractions and restaurants.

In addition our Forque Kitchen & Bar management team has reviewed your comments and apologize for your wait time. We are confident that our team will work harder than ever to to provide the superior service that we are known for.

Please contact me should you find yourself staying with Hyatt Regency Albuquerque again in the future, as it would be my pleasure to assist in making sure your next experience is memorable for all the right reasons.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

To me, this Hyatt's greatest asset its staff. When a staff person asked you, "if everything was ok," you got the feeling they actually cared about your answer! :) They were unfailingly gracious, and ready with quick suggestions when I needed something. A couple of them seemed to pick up on the fact that I was traveling alone, and it felt as though they made it a special point to say hello during my comings and goings. I agree with some of the reviews here, the decor is a bit dated. But, it is NOT run down. It is clean! a couple reviews here mentioned the resturants were pricey. I didn't think so - in fact, my expense report this month will look a bit better than usual. Also - really has the touches a business traveler values. Last month, I stayed in an over rated Westin - seriously -couldn't even find an easy way to plug in a phone and computer. This large comfy room has a nice desk, lots of easily accessible outlets, AND an iPod charger! I check out tomorrow after a four day day stay. I can only hope next month's hotel is as great.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DEMETRIS A, VIP Ambassador at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Laurely282: Thank you so much for staying with us and for the positive feedback regarding our hotel and staff. We're glad you had a "really enjoyable stay" and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Been to Hyatt Regency Albuquerque? Share your experiences!