“Nice staff and location, rooms okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn University

You added Quality Inn University to your Saves list
Quality Inn University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2015 Menaul Boulevard Northeast, Albuquerque, NM 87107 (Formerly Western Star Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #76 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Vancouver
“Nice staff and location, rooms okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Usually stick to the major chains, but due to a handy location and good rate stayed at this hotel right off the interstate.First the positives: very friendly staff, nicely painted exterior and lobby, good rate for walk-ins and decent breakfast (although lacking when it comes to fresh fruit). But now the negatives : the rooms really do need some updating. The TV's are very old-school style, in an era when even budget hotels are moving to flatscreen. After about 30 minutes of being on, my ancient TV started to make a screechy humming sound. All you get in the bathroom is one tiny soap (for both hands and shower, I guess) and a shampoo. So, they could be more generous in the toiletries area. And they have a gym, but it's pretty basic with only 2 pieces of equipment that doesn't work very well.

Everything is getting a bit old.. the TV, microwave, decor, bathrooms, etc. Also, not crazy about the neighborhood, good that it's right off the interstate but a needle was spotted on the ground at the hotel!

Overall, I did like the hotel based on the friendly staff, good breakfast and location, and I am impressed....but at some point they will have to invest in some room upgrades in order to stay competitve with similar chain hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Michelle D, General Manager at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback, and your time in writing it!

We are aware that there are areas to improve, and modernize, at our hotel. We are currently outlining our capital requests for next year and plan to make many more improvements to the ones we made at the beginning of this year. We'll be talking about these improvements on our website and Facebook page; check back after the first of the year!

We hope to see you back again if your travels take you through Albuquerque!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
SARASOTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality & comfort in our room. The linens and pillows were exceptional. Having a refrigerator and microwave in the room was great as we travel with a cooler and water.
The little extras that would normally come with the high priced hotel chains were all there.
The breakfast was above the usual continental style juice and coffee & sweet roll with waffles and fruit.
The staff was extremely helpful in recommending sightseeing & dining adventures.
The on sight laundry facilities were a very welcome addition.
The location was perfect as it sits at the junction of I-40 and I-25. Across the street is a truck stop with great fuel prices.
In the morning, before we started for the day, I was checking the fluids in my car when I needed water to top off the radiator reservoir, the housekeeping staff loaned me a bucket and filled it for me so that I could. I consider that as going beyond the usual duties and it was much appreciated.

Room Tip: Accommodating for people who have mobility challenges. Car park right outside the door.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Michelle D, General Manager at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your review!

We appreciate you taking time to post a review of our hotel. The staff works extremely hard to make this one of the best budget hotels in Albuquerque. We're glad you agree!

We hope to see you next time your travels take you to Albuquerque!
Southbridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Have hip & spine pain. The bed and especially pillows are the Best Ever. Didn't disturb bedding as I was so comfortable. Want to buy those pillows.
Breakfast was excellent, Waffles...Yum.
They could add Yogurt.
Went for 2012 Balloon Fiesta. Location of hotel was perfect for Shuttle parking.. During day went to Craft Fair & Old Town. Easy access to all locations.
If you have a superb bed and hot breakfast, who cares about the rest because you're not in hotel, you're a tourist.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Michelle D, General Manager at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your review!

The pillows are Registry Gold Label pillows from American Hotel Registery. I hope you enjoyed the balloons & will come back and visit again if your travels bring you to New Mexico!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just stayed the one night so other than the fact that the hotel met our requirements regarding service and cleanliness ! Breakfast equal though not surpassing what you would expect in 80% of most mid range hotels. Great Mexican restaurant just over the road from the hotel that I would recommend.
For a one night stop over this more than fits the bill !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! We hope that you'll stop at our hotel again the next time your travels take you through New Mexico!
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have stayed at this facility many times. Each time the actual building shows signs of age, but the actual room has been updated.

The room was quiet. The ice machine worked well.
A good night's sleep.

The pool was a little cool, but not too cold to enjoy.

There was some activity in the parking area that was of concern, but nothing negative occurred.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Michelle D, General Manager at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of making additional improvements and hope that you return on your next visit to Albuquerque!
Webster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

At check in they honored the online price without me having to actually book online. Wireless internet was easy to connect. Village Inn dinner practically in parking lot (walking distance). Free breakfast was a little disappointk g...waffle maker was broken and all that was left was limited fruit, donuts, cereal, and juice...but free breafast all thr same. A little dated but clean and perfect for a sleep during long road trip.

• Stayed August 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stopped here after a looooong day of driving. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. He got us into our room right away with no problems. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the room. The A/C was incredibly loud. It rumbled like it was going to jump off the wall. The room had a funny smell that hit you when you walked in and when I checked the beds (my first step when getting into a room) I noticed something black on the sheets. It was crumbly so I knew it wasn't a stain. I walked down to the front desk and they put us into another room. I have no complaints for this one. It was tolerably clean and comfortable. We left early the next morning and two days later, I realized I didn't have my sneakers. I called the hotel..doubtful that they would have them (I've worked in hotels, I know the chances of getting something returned to you)...but, to my surprise they actually had my shoes! I was completely shocked. That earned them the fourth star. They held them for me until our return trip when we stopped to pick them up. If all you're looking for is a pace to sleep...with no frills and fuss...this is your place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn University? Share your experiences!