“An oasis on our cross country trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Sarabande Bed and Breakfast
5637 Rio Grand Blvd. NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107   |
Ranked #11 of 25 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“An oasis on our cross country trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were on day 2 of our 5 day cross country trip. After almost 10 hours on the road we pulled up and were greeted by the owner. He gave us a tour of the grounds and the rooms. We were allowed to use the grill, and after such a long time on the road that was a welcome convenience! My wife was very excited about using the "Jacuzzi style tub in the room, afterwards she said what a relaxing experience it was. Another plus, our dog was welcome and able to roam the patio area instead of staying penned up in the room. We were asked what time we would like breakfast the next day and what we would like to eat. The owner did no flinch when I said we would be leaving around 0700, and everything was ready to eat at 0600 the next morning. There was fresh squeezed orange juice, eggs made to order, bacon, and several different kinds of yogurts (with assorted toppings).

The entire stay completely relaxed us in every way and made the next days journey much easier.

If you are ever in Albuquerque, and want to stay at an excellent and relaxing B&B, Sarabande is the place to stay!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Silver City, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have stayed here so many times I have lost count. Coming here is like going home except you don't have cook, clean or do the dishes and you get pampered in the process. The breakfasts are to die for.... Fresh organic berries are at every meal, and each breakfast is lovingly cooked by Allen. When I asked my daughter what was on the menu for breakfast one morning she said " a plate full of delicious", and she is very picky. Our breakfast that morning was whole wheat waffles, covered in blueberries, mangos and strawberries. There is always homemade granola, fresh squeezed OJ and fair market coffee. The pool is a huge lap pool that I think might be solar heated and I am told kept at 84 degrees in the season. The beds, comfy, the room fridges work well and I usually have a room with a private patio, a living room with pull out sofa, and a great huge tub to luxuriate in and none of those crummy little shampoos either, They put out the full sized stuff so if you are feeling especially grubby from a day of rafting down the Rio Grande or hiking the nearby Bosque you can get as clean as you want without asking for more. Just can't say enough good stuff about this B and B. My family has alway been very well taken care of here. My grown daughter stayed at the Sarabande once without us and got sick while there and they gave her some kind of organic herbal that she swore made her better. I was surprised to see the bad review as I have been coming here for several years, perhaps a dozen or more times and I have never experienced anything like the gentleman described. However the pool had probably been closed for the winter, It is cold here in the spring, and people tend not to hang out in the courtyards or the pool when it is cold, and as a New Mexican I can say it was a long winter. They don't have air conditioning, they have swamp coolers which is common in the southwest and they are generally noisy but they do cool very effectively, and they don't dry out your sinuses the way air conditioners do.. The tv's are not flat screen, but I really never care as I spend so little time in front of a TV when I stay here it doesn't matter to me and if you want a newer big screen you can go to the common living area near the kitchen for the brand new big screen TV purchased to watch the election returns in the fall. I never see anyone using that TV though, and so many B and B's don't even have television. It is sad that the gentlemen missed breakfast because the best part of the stay is the great food, furthermore the owners are very reasonable people I am sure if he expressed his concerns they would have been glad to refund part of his stay or maybe even all of it. I kept thinking about the bad review and so I spoke with one of the owners who said that some of his concerns were legitimate, they had had some problems with pool equipment and had just ordered a new vacuum, and had just installed a new motor which promptly went out and they had to order a new motor for the pool pump. I have stayed at motels in the dead of summer with broken pools with no water and I had to stay for a week, sometimes things do break and need to be fixed. When I asked them if they had done anything about appeasing the fellow with the bad review, they said I wan't the first to mention the bad review or to be surprised by it, but the gentleman in question checked out without voicing any concerns so left them with no alternative to make it right with him. So while some concerns may have been legitimate, the "dirty pool cover" makes no sense to me as the job of the pool cover is to keep dirt out of the pool. I just love coming here and am always grateful when they have rooms available for my family to stay at, I always am made to feel like some long lost cousin when I stay here as a guest, so if it seems like I am taking the bad review personally I guess I am, but mostly as I said earlier I was just so surprised because I have never experienced anything remotely like that what the gentleman who stayed in May described.

Room Tip: I have stayed in all the rooms. My personal favorites are the Iris room in the winter ( warmer cuz...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I simply can not give the Sarabende an Excellent rating as several others have. We stayed there in May 2013, just after Memorial Day. I liked the location, out of the way, in a somewhat rural suburb. The person who checked us in seemed nice. However, there just wasn't the attention to detail that you expect at a B&B. Our room was down a path in the back, next to a lap pool, which was what sold me, as we are both swimmers. Unfortunatley, the pool was covered over and the cover had a layer of dirt. They uncovered the pool later during the our stay, but the bottom of the pool l was equally as dirty. There was also a plumbing problem that created a pile of dirt outside the door to our room.The pool area and private patio outside our room needed to be swept. The common areas, chairs, cushions and plantings all looked to have gone through a long winter and nneded to be spruced up. In the room, a lot of dust and spider webs in the corners, in the wicker and around the baseboards. A year old magazine next to the bed had a layer of dust, A layer of dust also cover the dated TV. The air conditoning was noisy, and the instructions were a bit confusing. (photos of my claims are attached) Overall, this was disappointing. We paid them $127. We didn't get what we were sold on-line. We skipped breakfast to avoid the "How was your stay" questions.

Room Tip: Don't risk it, there are better places.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had a wonderful overnight stay at this bed and breakfast. Room had a separate living area with a fireplace and sore sleeper so we brought the kids also. Bathroom had a large deep jacuzzi tub. Our dog was also welcomed. The room had a private garden patio which made it easy to let the dog out. Breakfast was yummy also!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Very welcoming atmosphere and great hospitality! Allen greeted us as if we were old friends coming for a visit. He gave us a tour of the place, including a little history when we arrived.
The large tub in our room was wonderfully relaxing and, while we didnt have an opportunity to enjoy the common areas, there is a big screen TV and computer with Internet access and a nice library in a lovely inviting setting. The breakfast Allen served from the absolutely amazing kitchen was delightful - fresh raspberries & blackberries, homemade granola, yogurt, coffee, fresh-squeezed juice and a yummy egg dish he called an 'Albuquerque Sunrise'.

My only regret was that we only stayed one night!

• Stayed January 2013
La Mirada, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Sarabande Bed & Breakfast

I took my brother to New Mexico to visit our relative in Belen, New Mexico. We arrived in Albuquerque around 10:30pm. Kyle called the inn and Allen was there giving us directions and was there in the court yard when we arrived.
Sarabande is a very nice, quiet, peaceful place to stay while in Albuquerque. It has some nice trails to walk or ride a bike. The houses around the area are breathtaking.
Allen was up early making a beautiful spread of fresh berries, fruits, yogurts, homemade granola and some sort of hot meal. Fresh squeezed O.J. was there along with a hot pot of coffee or tea. What more could you ask for. In the common room there was a Mac computer that we had access to along with a big screen TV and wood burning fire place.
I rented the suite, with the private back yard. It was very relaxing to hang out and just chill. Yes, we were chilling cuz we are from CA. The bathroom was nice. One guest complained about a shower, so what if you have to hold up. If he would have read the description it says in black and white. Hand held shower, blah blah, blah.
We found that Karen and Allen were very hospitable, gracious and genuine. They made you feel at home and we did.
Thank you for a great experience. Don’t miss out on Sadie’s Mexican cuisine on 4th. Great food and the best margaritas in town.
Thanks for all the good suggestions and a great stay.
Sensei Kathi & Kyle from Ca.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked nice, just pick the one suited for your needs. The food is beautiful and made...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I cannot wait to return to my "second home in the desert," the Sarabande Bed and Breakfast. From the moment I made first phone contact, to the moment I was graciously taken to the airport to depart, the owners were kind, courteous, accommodating and respectful of my privacy. Allan, Karen, Stephen, and Carrie are even guarding an item I left behind, for my return trip. As the B&B's name implies, staying at the Sarabande was like dance melody or dance itself, it left my heart happy and light. I rose each morning to swim alone in the heated pool (just warm enough) under a flawless sky, had an ample breakfast of an equally ample variety, and went about my day to come back to a cool and comfortable room, which says a lot in August. I swam in the evening, too, if I wasn't too stuffed from dinner nearby. The kitchen was open, not only architecturally but attitudinally, so if I felt like more herb tea at night, or black tea in the morning, I could help myself, as well as to fruit and other snacks. I recommend the Iris Room but that's the only one I stayed in. I'm not sure about a fellow reviewer with the shower problem, for I had no problems with any of the facilities and the bathroom was luxurious. As a lover of traveling and B&Bs, my launch into the unknown was rewarded by a grand experience at the Sarabande!

Room Tip: The Iris was my only experience but it was excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sarabande Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!