“NOT your typical B&B. This one is exceptional and unique without being priced out of a reasonable budget.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bottger Mansion of Old Town

110 San Felipe St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104 (West Old Town)   |
Ranked #6 of 23 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This Victorian bed-and-breakfast is exceptional and unique without being priced out of a reasonable budget. Well deserves Certificate of Excellent, and I trust it will receive the same commendation for 2013 as well. My review here deals more with the personal aspect of staying at Bottger Mansion of Old Town, and I encourage you to see the website and believe *everything* you read there.
Steve carried my bags up the stair to the Bernard Shandon Rodey room, where I stayed for two nights. I am a big woman (said goodbye to petite single-digit dresses in my 20s), so I was pleased with the roominess of the queen bed — which had an excellent mattress. (I even asked Steve and Kathy what kind it was. Isn’t it interesting that I awake at home with a backache, but didn’t once on this trip?!)
A few days earlier, at my request, they had kindly emailed me with a list of restaurants open on New Year’s Eve. They didn’t *have* to do that; they just went out of their way to be extraordinary hosts! I did spend that evening at Seasons Restaurant just down the street (see my review on that).
I’m not much of a breakfast eater — more of a breakfast tea drinker with big meal at lunchtime — but my-oh-my! Both mornings’ breakfasts enticed me to chow down. I chatted with Kathy and Steve each morning as they did their breakfast-fixin-routine. The tea was plentiful (dark and strong) and I was provided with plenty of cream/half-n-half (just perfect!).
I can’t say that we’re BBFs, but Kathy did share some of the highlights of their living abroad (as had I, so we swapped stories) and she gave me a kindly critical eye on a very rough sketch of a bracelet I was trying to design. Also sat at the dining table(s) with them late one afternoon and talked with both about various things of interest to us. As a single traveler, I *so* appreciated that, since it’s tough for me as a tourist to strike up a meaningful and intelligent conversation with strangers.
Other great things (in no particular order) about staying at the Bottger: (a) Parking was free (which was quite a pleasant shock) and literally just across the small street. (b) Laptop with internet connectivity and printer provided for those of us who didn’t bring our own. (c) Ability to control thermostat in my room (heating in winter; a/c in summer). *Loved* the ability to sleep at 64°F rather than the low 70s! (d) Roomy shower (no tub; none necessary).
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Website is accurate and truthful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kathy H, Owner at Bottger Mansion of Old Town, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I remember well our great conversations and your design plans for the bracelet. Send us a photo of the bracelet glittering on your arm!

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a lovely historical mansion with beautiful rooms, generous hosts and lovely breakfasts.

I stayed in the Tingley Room which has a comfy, big bed - and a washstand on the other side of the room from the bathroom, which takes some getting used to, but adds to the authenticity.

You can have tea, coffee and cookies from the stand near the kitchen whenever you want...and after a day going around ABQ, that was a good, good thing!

I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We only had one night, but our stay was great. Kathy gave us suggestions on dinner and the walk down the street into old town helped us get the most out of our time. We spent the night in the Edward Buxton Cristy room. This was the former dining room. There is a beautiful mural painted by the builder's grandson in the room. We enjoyed the history of the mansion. A hot bath with the homemade bath salts topped off the evening. The next morning a delicious breakfast was served on the enclosed former patio. Enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: We liked the Edward Cristy room. It was quiet and spacious enough
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've stayed twice at Bottger Mansion, once in the summer and once over Christmas. Both stays were excellent. Our hosts were friendly without being intrusive and very helpful in providing suggestions for nearby restaurants (try Monroe's for great New Mexican food), hiking paths, and tours (don't miss Tent Rocks north of Albuquerque). The food was fantastic and the room very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is the best location for a visit to Old Town Albuquerque. The breakfasts were unique and the host were very helpful in providing information about local dining and sightseeing. Our room was well furnished and very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently had a short stay in Albuquerque at the mansion in the Route 66 room which was comfortable and had easy access as it is on the first floor. Since I only had a couple of days in town, I wanted to be near old town and the location could not be better. The owners of this B and B are very friendly and accommodating. I only had the breakfast for which they are known on one morning but it was delicious...pumpkin spiced pancakes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We rarely stay at B&Bs, so I was a bit hesitant despite the great reviews. Steve and Kathy made us feel welcome and we very much enjoyed our stay in the Franz Huning room.

The Bottger is in a great location and is within easy walking distance of the Museum of Art and History and the Museum of Natural History and Science.

We'll be back...........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bottger Mansion of Old Town? Share your experiences!