“Lots of Thorns In The Adobe Garden...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Adobe Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albuquerque
Adobe Garden
641 Chavez NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lots of Thorns In The Adobe Garden...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I am beginning this review halfway through my 2 night stay here because my daughter and I are what could only be described as "captives" at the Adobe Garden. Following a not so comfortable night in OK, we drove a long, hot drive through the desert and were thrilled to finally arrive in Albuquerque. I have a medium sized, SERVICE dog that I had made the owner of Adobe Garden (Tricia) well aware of when I booked the reservation. She explained that pets were welcome and she had a guesthouse in the back of the property where she put guests with pets and informed me of the nightly rate, so I was fine with giving my credit card number for a deposit. The price seemed reasonable. Considering that it was for my daughter, myself and a breakfast that I could eat. We pulled up that evening to see a beautiful stucco house in a southwestern mission style. The guesthouse in the back was a bit stark as far as decorations were concerned and another reviewer noted that as well, however it seemed comfortable at first glance.
After unpacking our vehicle and being thrilled that we didn’t have to re-pack in the morning we took a breather. The owner stopped in to give us a heads up on a couple of things about the pool and inquired about what time we would like to eat in the morning, explaining that a tray would be brought to the room. I told her that we really didn’t mind coming into the house, but she insisted to the point of being adamant that a tray would be brought to us in our room. I was in no mood to wonder why we wouldn't be eating in a dining area in the main house and let the issue go. She also asked about our plans for that evening. I explained that I was going to look up local eateries that have gluten free fare and then we were going to head to dinner. Once I had found a recommended place to try that was close by, my daughter and I set out to grab a bite of real food for dinner. This is where the issues for me really began;
As we walked through the backyard Tricia stopped us and asked if were going to dinner. When I replied that we were and that I had found a gluten free pizza place that seemed close by, she asked if we were taking the dog. I explained that because my daughter is with me I don’t need to take my dog and I’d like to give her a break from the car and the heat. The owner’s reply was that we aren't allowed to leave our dog in the room alone because she's had issues in the past with other guests and their pets. Apparently, the previous guest’s PETS messed things up in the room. Because of this I would have to drag my dog that had been in the car for over 10 hours out in the heat again. Figuring that I have my daughter with me, I would like my dog to get a break after the long ride in the car. Also, she is a trained SERVICE dog, so she doesn't chew things or mess on the floor. Once again, the owner doesn’t budge.
My daughter and I head back to the guesthouse and wonder what to do next. Tricia was kind enough to give us a couple of "dog friendly" restaurants (keep in mind, I can’t eat just anywhere). However, this is not the issue at present. The issues are:

1. Had she explained on the telephone that there was no place for me to leave my dog on the premises, and that I couldn't leave her in the room at all, I never would have booked the reservation. If a family member is with me in public, I can give the dog a break to rest and I try to do that.

2. It's over 100 degrees in Albuquerque during a record breaking heat wave and leaving her in the car is illegal.

3. Our vehicle is unpacked. It’s early evening. She had my credit card information before we arrived. We are traveling across the country and not on vacation in Albuquerque. Not the most conducive situation for finding alternative arrangements on short notice.

3. I would leave my 12-year old daughter with the dog and run out and grab food (not the easiest thing when you have multiple food allergies and a disability). But then I have neither the daughter or the dog.

4. Interestingly, there's a little card on the table in the room that states; "Children must be attended by an adult at all times! Thank You." My daughter is legally a child.

My daughter and I decided that we were too tired to fight the system on this one and snacked on the food that we brought with us on the trip.

That night we sweated our butts off while we slept, and I am still trying to figure out why there is no air conditioning when it’s over 100 degrees. There is an air conditioner system and an oscillating fan, but the air conditioner is only blowing in the hot air from the other side of the wall. Plus, it blows straight onto the bed I’m sleeping in. I combed the room in search of something that explained how things worked, because Tricia didn’t and the webpage doesn’t. The webpage does state that there is wi-fi. But if I could have connected (no clue what the password was) there was so little reception from the house that I couldn’t have used it anyway.
Following the first hottest and worst night sleep we have ever gotten, my daughter and I woke up and tried to figure out what to do with ourselves for the day. As the day wore on we just moped around the room and stared at one another. The 13-inch TV/VCR (yes, VCR!!!) combo on the dresser was our only source of entertainment. At one point during the day my daughter and I sat outside in the yard watching the dog run around and the owner came outside. She inquired as to whether or not we had been anywhere during the day. I explained to her that I have Asperger’s Syndrome and when I’m at home she and I (the dog) rarely go out and when we do, it’s generally to the same places because that’s my comfort zone. We were also supposed to visit my daughter’s family, except they live in the country and have farm animals and I am not comfortable having my fully vaccinated, domesticated, just groomed service dog around their dusty, farm livestock. And, of course, because of the high temperature (over 100 degrees) I couldn’t leave my dog in the car for even a minute. So, at the end of the day as the sun was setting we would go and pick up dinner. That way, the dog being in the car for a moment, with my daughter and air conditioning, wouldn’t be a huge issue. So, we picked up gluten free pizza (Paisano’s rocks!) and back to the room we went. We had dinner and went to sleep in an even hotter room than the first night.
The final leg of the cross-country trip was an over eight hours spent in the car aching and sneezing with a raging cold/ear infection thanks to the non-cooling air conditioner across from my bed that blew dirty, tepid air on me all night long. The combination of that and the stress of being confined to the guesthouse at Adobe Garden and I am still sick as I finish this review.
I am not sure how “pet policies” work… However, if you tell a guest that you accept pets my thought is that you should give them the parameters immediately so that if the terms aren’t acceptable, they can make other accommodations. I would have done this without hesitation, as my dog has service credentials and I am fairly sure that the ADA and ACLU would have a blast with this considering that it spans both my Asperger’s and Celiac’s.
As far as Tricia is concerned, she seems like a nice enough person. In my personal opinion however, the feeling I took away from this experience was that she is not a "people person". When I tried to ask her questions about her background (she and her husband are prior military, as am I) she shut me down. When I was answering her questions I felt as though I was talking too much because she would stop me before I was finished my sentences. The three of us could have stayed anywhere in Albuquerque, but chose to stay at Adobe Garden (not my best decision, obviously).

I love B&B’s and prefer them to chain establishments because they’re unique and personal with history and have usually been loved and nurtured by the owner.

Adobe Garden had so much potential...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Adobe Gardens is located on the outskirts of Albuquerque about 4 miles from Old Town and about a mile from Balloon Fiesta. It has various room options, a couple in the main house, a few separate rooms attached to the main house along the central courtyard, and another separate "bunk house" which has three rooms and its own living room/meeting area and a kitchen. The B&B has a very private and beautiful court yard with a pool and pool house. The rooms and grounds are well maintained and feature traditional Southwest design and decorations.
I booked two rooms for my wife and kids and the owners Lee and Tricia went out of there way to take care of us and treat us like family, while giving us plenty of privacy. The bunk house building is like staying in your own apartment. When not out in town, we spent most of our time by the pool.
Breakfast meals were quite good and Lee recommended a fabulous local restaurant, El Pinto.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

We found this B&B through the recommendation of another B&B owner who was full the week of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. With no information at all, we booked our stay and hoped for the best. We were pleasantly surprised.

The owners, Tricia and Lee, were very good to us. When our arriving flight was rescheduled and we realized we would miss our first night here, Tricia allowed us to cancel without penalty. During our visit, she and Lee kept us abreast of weather changes and what they meant to Balloon Fiesta activities, and gave us tips on the management of Fiesta crowds and driving.

The property is located in a residential area of suburban Albuquerque, north of the city itself and very close to the Balloon Park. The neighborhood is quiet yet convenient, and the B&B grounds are expansive and well kept. The building itself is lovely and private feeling. There is an outdoor pool and a firepit for guest use.

Our room was large and comfortable. There was a partial wall separating the sleeping and living areas, which helped the place feel almost like an apartment rather than a single room. We had a kiva fireplace and oversized chair, a kitchenette with table for two, a small private bath, and a large closet. The only thing missing was the attention to detail that makes a good place great ... the cellophane-wrapped poster that was propped up on the kitchen counter really belongs in a frame hanging on the wall, and a little bit of color through paint would make a big difference in warmth and coziness.

We unfortunately can’t comment on breakfast. We were up and off to the Balloon Festival before dawn and missed breakfast in the dining room. Instead, we grabbed a cup of coffee and a store-bought muffin on our way out the door. We understand that Tricia is quite a cook and that our early mornings were our loss.

• Liked — It isn't a generic hotel room. It has charm and character.
  • Disliked — Could use some attention to detail: wall hangings, color, etc.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Adobe Garden? Share your experiences!