“More than a little different” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Los Equipales

Los Equipales
4500 Silver Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108 (Highland Business)
505-265-1300
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Highland Business
Cross street: 1 Block S. of Central and 2 Blocks East of Washington
Transit: Rapid Transit on Central Ave
Description: Family recipes prepared from scratch: is Los Equipales Restaurnat secret to offer the most exquisite and authentic Mexican seafood in Albuquerque such as Camarones a la Veracruzana, Tostadas de Huitlacoche, and Shrimp Enchiladas. Tantalize your senses with Mrs. Martinez's succulent -Chiles Rellenos, Pollo en Mole, and other mouth-watering family recipes. Come in ,and feel like an Aztec Emperor seated on our imported Equipales chairs for which our restaurant is named. .
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“More than a little different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Mexican food is actually very hard to find in Albuquerque. Many folks here consider New Mexican food as Mexican food and have no idea that there is a difference. To my knowledge, this is the only restaurant in town that serves Huitlacoche, a true gourmet specialty, fungus the grows on corn it is a great treat. Please note they only serve beer and wine, they serve a wine margarita which some folks like, but don't expect the kick of the real thing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“It Sucked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

After seeing the good reviews for this place. We decided to go here yesterday for our anniversary. Now we know why all the reviews say no one is ever there. It was empty on a Friday night. All the tables had vases of wilted roses. So much for the romance. I ordered a $9 margarita that was watered down. Definitely not worth the price. I ordered the $17 skirt steak combination plate. The chile,beans and tamale were good, but the meat was dry and so chewy I had to spit it out into my napkin.My husband ordered the chicken enchiladas. He said it was okay but not worth the price. We told the waiter about the meat but were not offered a price break. Instead he asked if I wanted to put it back on the grill?! We were very disappointed in this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Hair in my food, watery margaritas”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I ate here three times about a year ago and have never gone back. We would go for lunch on a Saturday and were the only ones in the restaurant. The first two times we ordered the same fish dish, and on our second visit the portions were WAY smaller. The second time, we ordered a pitcher of margaritas to start, and it was so watery it tasted like nothing. Then my fish tacos came and there was a huge black hair sticking out from under one of them. I immediately brought this to the attention of the server and he asked if I wanted him to take it back. IF??? Due to the horrible service and quite obvious hair that had been left on my plate, I actually said no. I assumed they would just pull out the hair and bring it right back. Instead I ate around it. I was so mad, and nobody apologized or comped my meal or anything!!! This was the last time we ate here, and ever since, we've called it "Los Taco-Pelos" (the hair-tacos).

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Food - Small Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This Mexican restaurant had a good selection of interesting, unique, authentic dishes. I had Halibut medallions in a flavorful green sauce. My companion had their version of Mexican paella. Both dishes were very tasty, but for the price the portions were too small. The server was very nice.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sunspot, NM
“Authenic, fresh and fabulous Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went especially for hard-to-find huitlacoche, also known as corn mushroom, Mexican truffle or caviar Azteca and had quesillas and tostadas featuring this delicacy, along with scallops on the tostadas. We weren't disappointed as both were excellent as were all the other dishes. Seafood is a specialty here and we especially enjoyed the very fresh ceviche, delightfully served in tall Margarita glasses. Relaxed friendly atmosphere and excellent service and value. Don't miss this hidden gem for authentic high quality Mexican dining.

• Visited April 2013