“Lots of fun but not worth $250” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2-Night Special Package
Ranked #27 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Southwest
“Lots of fun but not worth $250”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

We stayed here for the first night of our honeymoon. Our stay was a wedding present from a friend and Sandia Resort was an entirely different class of hotel than I'm used to - much fancier. The tub was enormous and just perfect for a hot bath, but there is no heating in the bathroom which made for a cold shower experience. The king size bed had a memory foam topper and was extremely comfortable. We were given a room on the top floor with fantastic views. However, despite being on a non-smoking floor, our room stank of smoke when we woke up the next day. As we were checking out that morning anyway, we didn't see the point in being transferred to another room, but if we'd been staying longer we would have asked for a different room.
I enjoyed my stay for a one-off fun night, but it's certainly not somewhere I'd pay $250 to stay at again. There are much nicer B&Bs in Albuquerque for half the price.

• Liked — View, room size, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Smell in room, price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

We stayed here 2 years ago at a discounted first timer rate and having used our reward card on the gaming floor we were able to get a good price once again. I was impressed the first time we stayed and as a return customer I was equally as pleased with the staff as well as the suite. Although we chose not to eat here other than a quick burger in the cafe' we were stuffed after eating the hearty plate fixed for us. When we drove in we were immediately greeted and directed to an underground parking area as well as asking several times how we could be helped. We packed only one bag for the night so it was easy to head right to the registration desk. We were the only ones there and were taken care of and asked if this time we wanted the mountain view again or the city light view. We chose the city view which was romantic in the evening. I love the spacious suite and huge bathroom and the gorgeous artwork throughout the room. There are details such as a toiletry kit among creams and soaps which is a nice touch. Everything about the room was clean and the bed was luxurious with all the pillows and soft down comforter. The gaming floor was busy all night and the live music was fun and soft drinks are plentiful at all times. I just wish the slots would be looser so I could win more than I leave behind. Overall I look forward to our next stay here in April of 09 and would recommend the resort to anyone without hesitation.

• Liked — The room was very quiet and outstanding in cleanliness.
  • Disliked — I would like to have stayed another night or two.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

I like the facility. I like the location up above Albuquerque, but minutes from town. I enjoyed the room. In fact, the rooms are better than people are saying. Seriously, I have stayed in rooms at many a Ritz-Carlton, and some older Four Seasons properties, that couldn't hold a candle to the Sandia product.

Did not like: Reservation system antiquated. Made requests on there that didn't show up when I checked in. (Surprise.) Shoulder shrug re: being unable to accommodate my requests from the gentleman who did me the large favor of stopping what he was doing - talking to co-worker - to check me in. Can't remember his name, name tag said he was from Long Beach, Calif., and his displeasure over having to talk to another dude when there were women around was pretty obvious. (good going, bro!)

Anyway, upstairs in the room which has been described before and you can see in the photos, which are accurate. It's a nice room, facility-wise, like I said, on par with a new Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton room, with massive bath with sep. tub and shower and toilet area. Bed magnificent. A real surprise.

Except: Dust, window that doesn't open, no lamp on the desk. Missing. I call down and get transferred two or three times before the front desk responds - really must they do everything? - luckily, the lady, again, name escapes me, really lovely middle-aged gal, want to say Jennifer, maybe - puts in maintenance request and listens to me complain about her colleague.

She calls me back in two minutes to tell me that a guest in the room type I'd asked for is departing on a family emergency and would I like it after it's cleaned? I thought that was sweet. By then I was already unpacked and working. I did ask if I could leave; I just wasn't happy with how it was going, for the price I was paying. I said I'd stay the night but wanted out of the remainder of my reservation, she said no problem, which I thought was great.

Ordered room service. Huge mistake. Bargain bin ingredients and the mashed potatoes tasted like refrigerator..unmistakable and very pungent smell of walk-in cooler, seriously. Paid top dollar for the dinner I ate half of because it was so seriously mediocre. $75 for bad soup and a New York strip steak. Hurray.

After check-out, tried to make a purchase elsewhere on the card I'd used, which by this point was almost full. Denied, which was weird - I went online to see what was going on; apparently the geniuses at the hotel were having trouble returning the amount they'd charged to the card above what I owed. they were literally going in and trying to return it to me but not doing it correctly, according to my credit card company. Kind of says it all - trying, but failing. Took them about a week to do it right.

Overall, a shame - Albuquerque's hotels are a real disappointment overall, this was a nice improvement - again, rooms are beautiful. A standard room here is better in look, feel and certainly on the bathroom front, than the same at the Hyatt in Bernalillo, although those have balconies, at least the one I stayed in once. Sandia doesn't do balconies, which is a shame.

Then again, so are a lot of other things about this hotel that are a shame. I hope they get it together; until then they are just another indian casino in a region filled with them. with fantastic rooms (when they're maintained correctly.)

This stay reminded me why I am increasingly sticking to chains where I am a frequent guest club member. When you travel so often, these little hassles and surprises and unpleasantnesses (is that a word?) just add up to one big why-the-hell-did-i-bother.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Because we use our HET Total Rewards cards when we play in Las Vegas, we received a promotion from Sandia Resort and Casino for $39 rooms, with a free breakfast buffet, $15 in daily dining credit, $75 free slot play daily and 25% discount on golf.

We live 5 hours North of Albuquerque (in Pueblo, Colorado), so hopped in the car for a very nice relaxing drive to Sandia on Sunday morning, Oct. 19th. We were surprised to see all of the cars parked along side the interstate in and around the foothills of Santa Fe (pinon nut pickers), but outside of that, traffic was very light and the trip was uneventful.

Since we were playing golf early on Monday A.M., we dropped our golf clubs off to be stored at the golf course, where the staff there was very accommodating.

Check in at the hotel was quick and efficient and we were delighted to see our request for a “golf course” view room was granted with no problems. Our room was just their standard, two queen beds, non-smoking. The average week day rate for this room was $199, so with the HET $39 promotion, we scored a nice savings. The room was a very nice size with a flat panel TV and a large bathroom with separate shower and tub. The room was very clean and maid service each day was prompt.

We signed up for Players Cards and within 30 minutes, my husband’s name was called to pick a “pumpkin” in their Pumpkin Patch promotions, where two random players are called each hour to pick a “pumpkin” from the patch and win from $100 to $1,000. He won $300 which he used on the craps tables. I play video keno and had a fair share of luck, ending even after 2 days of gambling, which is always nice.

We ate dinner in the Council Room on Sunday night, which turned out to be a big mistake. I had asked the waiter ahead of time about their chicken fried steak dinner and was told that they make up their steaks there – they are not pre-packaged, pre-formed patties. Well, to be honest, he either lied or was misinformed, because what I received was a defrosted pre-formed patty covered in some type of a gravy – I honestly was not able to eat more than 2 bites. My husband ordered their green chile meatloaf and he said it was just okay. The cost was approximately $12 per dinner, so we were glad to get the $15 credit to help ease some of the disappointment with the quality of the food. We noticed the restaurant was nearly empty at 6:00 PM and perhaps questionable food quality is one of the reasons why.

We played golf early A.M. on Monday and found the Sandia resort to be fun, while not particularly unique, it’s a nice course. We have 5 very nice courses to choose from back home in Pueblo, so playing here was much like our Walkingstick golf course. Before our round, we had breakfast in the golf course clubhouse restaurant – I had a smothered breakfast burrito (very nice) and my husband had an omelet, which was satisfactory, but nothing very special. Prices ran about $7 per person, so with the size of the burrito I had, it was a very good value and kept me full until dinner time.

We had dinner at Bien Shur, the Sandia’s steak house – I had the buffalo filet (which except for being dry, was very tasty) and my husband opted for a beef filet, which he said was dry also (maybe that’s why it’s served with an accompanying peppercorn sauce?). The side dishes were a blue cheese iceberg lettuce wedge (delicious!),garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables. Dinner ran about $33 per person and the atmosphere and ambience of the restaurant is very nice without being too stuffy. Sean, our waiter, was very attentive to our needs.

All in all, we found customer service at Sandia to be outstanding. The casino, hotel and restaurants were very clean, if somewhat smoky (after all it’s a casino). All of the employees are neatly dressed in uniforms, making it easy to find someone to help or provide directions and we found the casino to have all of the latest slot machines and plenty of table games to keep my husband happy. Because it’s New Mexico, you are not allowed to have alcohol in the casino itself, but they have people who go around with carts, keeping you filled up with coffee, soda or water.

We will definitely return as we found this to be a delightful experience.

• Liked — Bathroom was very large
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

A friend and I stayed at the Sandia October 16-19. This was primarily a golf trip, but we booked Sandia based on a mail offer for a discounted room rate.

The room was quite nice with a large, bathroom and separate shower. And, overall, the hotel was clean and nice.

My negative feelings stem from their weird rules. First, you are not allowed to bring any alcoholic beverage into the hotel. You must purchase from them at an exorbitant price. And, as mentioned by another reviewer, there is no alcohol allowed on the gaming floor. The gambling rules are not the worst, but, certainly not the best. The blackjack is mostly dealt from CSM machines. There were a very few six-deck shoes. The best video poker I found was $.25 8/5 progressive. Craps is 5x odds.

We ate at the buffet twice for breakfast and once for dinner. It is good, but not out of the ordinary. The steak house is an average steak house. We tried the snack bar once and, again, it is average, but not outstanding.

The golf course is quite nice with well-maintained fairways and very good, very fast greens.

Overall, the physical aspects of the hotel are nice and the staff we encountered were friendly. But, I am accustomed to Las Vegas or Tunica and this place just doesn't compare. So, my attitude is undoubtedly a bit colored. And, being a single guy, I don't look for the things a couple would.

• Liked — Nice, spacious room
  • Disliked — Casino
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

This is a review of the Green Reed Spa only - we did not stay at the hotel.

The spa facilities were marvelous and well-appointed. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

I had the Organic Retreat body treatment and it was fantastic! It was supposed to last 50 minutes, but it ended up being an hour and a half of pure indulgence! I wish I'd had time to go back for a second round before our vacation was over, but I didn't!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this facility for an awesome spa experience!

• Liked — The spa was fantastic!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

We stayed at the resort for my husband's 50th birthday and could not have a had a better time. Our room had a balcony with a spectacular view of the mountains. The room was large enough and has a very large bathroom. Our service-from the valet to the bellhop-was incredible. Everywhere we went we were greeted by the staff and asked if we needed anything. The ladies in the spa were very nice and had wonderful recommendations. The overworked server at the pool was very attentive and only had a short wait for drinks. If you want to drink while you gamble, this is not the place for you. There is a bar but you are not allowed to drink on the floor of the casino. Also be careful to not bring bottles of wine or alcohol into the hotel-the security guards will stop you if they see you bringing it in.
We can't wait to stay here again and hope it is as great the next time as it was the first time.

• Liked — Rooms, casino, pool, golf, beautiful view from hotel
  • Disliked — A little bit of travel time to restaurants and shopping
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandia Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!