“Weekend of Rest & Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2-Night Special Package
Ranked #19 of 145 hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Weekend of Rest & Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Experienced exquisite Southwest elegance within a beautiful Indian Casino Resort. Staff was there for one reason; To make guests feel at home by catering to every need. Was greeted with pleasant smiles and have enjoyed the spacious rooms and equally elegant Southwestern decorated bathrooms accompanied with a relaxing tub and a separate step-in-shower adorned with a glass wall and door. Rooms are furnished with Keurig style coffee/tea maker, sleek mini fridge and a room safe. Felt right at home in room each time I have stayed at this fine, Five-Star hotel. You can't tell you're at a gambling casino when you're in your room. Have not had the pleasure of attending a concert in the outdoor amphitheater but maybe I will someday. Free underground or outdoor parking is available. Restaurants and fast food snack bars are located in great places and prices are very reasonable. The Casino itself is very lively, with slot machines and catching happening at all hours downstairs away from guest rooms. It's a great place to have fun and get a little R&R. Poolside has a wonderful sitting area where you can enjoy the view of the gorgeous New Mexico mountains. Will definitely stay here again, soon I hope!

• Stayed April 2013

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
rio rancho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Many praises to David Meeks, he went out of his way to arrange that my room was next to my friends upon my arrival. Friends and I stay often and have never been disappointed. The entertainment draw has been in the upper lounge: Karrie Simmons band. Fabulous!!!! really different atmosphere. PS won at slots jackpot now thats a good weekend.

Room Tip: mountain view is the best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

this room was amazing! Just simply perfect! The rooms are very pricy however I see why! Luckily for me I am a member of the casino so my rates were 60 dollars vs the labeled 200 .... This hotel is the absolute perfect blend of New Mexican and Native American culture! I was blow away of the perfection of this hotel and my room. The best of the best was put in the room. Romantic and fully upgraded. Just beautiful

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am sorry to say that this is not only my first casino review but also not a good one. While the casino is your typical smokey, loud & colorful atmosphere there is no liquor drinking at the tables only smoking & water/coffee cokes etc. The vibe was kinda like everyone was in "zombie ville." no excitement. I would say for a sure bet go & eat at Sadie's Mexican restaurant located in the back of the casino. You will not be disappointed. The food & margaritas are fantastic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Socorro, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I got married here. With our wedding, we stayed in a suite and had several of our guests stay in rooms too, so we got to see an array of rooms. The rooms were all beautiful and well done. But the city views aren't horrible.

The wedding and reception was held in the same room. We had contracted for 160 guests and had two ballrooms. The room wasn't set up as we had agreed when we entered the room for our rehearsal during the day. I didn't think much of it at the time as I had way too many other things on my mind. Unfortunately they set the gift table up right next to the entryway. And, sometime between the first guests arriving and when Sandia Staff dropped off our gifts in our room, gifts were stolen. (We found this out about 2 days after the wedding.) There was no evidence that it was staff related theft, or that it wasn't, but Sandia took the stance of, "It's not our fault" immediately. They didn't know what to do. So, they repeated themselves...over and over. The staff we were working with told us to talk to security and fill out an informational report. We did. They told us to not expect anything to come of it. We didn't.

The staff has been nothing but rude, and off-putting. Beth, our wedding event coordinator tried to help us, and I don't think she's at fault. However, I would not recommend this venue to anyone getting married. We had to jump through so many hoops...and this was a SIMPLE, really, really simple, wedding! I'm glad it wasn't complex!

If you go, enjoy your stay. I will never set foot in Sandia again as I don't want to get treated like a child and a thief myself. I don't appreciate that. I don't think you would like it either. Good luck.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
blujan, Front Office Manager at Sandia Casino & Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear adknight,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback. It's with comments like yours that allow us to serve our customers better. We are saddened that your wedding reception did not meet your expectations. We at Sandia strive to exceed every guests expectations and have your stay or your event be a memorable one. Please feel free to contact our Sales Department at any time to discuss your on-going concerns.

Best Regards,
Kimberly Berry
Director of Hotel Sales
Kerrville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Very pleasantly surprised on our resent stay!! The resort itself is located just off I-25 in NW Albuquerque. It sets all alone with the beautiful desert mountains behind it. Valet parking was free and the attendants were very nice. We arrived about 2pm and our room was ready, check-in was quick and the desk person very helpful. Our room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was large and had a separate bath and shower. The resort is beautiful inside and out. The casino was clean with a large selection of slots and gaming tables. They even had a non-smoking slot area. I used the workout area and the spa. I highly recommend both. My wife had a pedicure and said it was one of the best she has had. We ate at the Thur Shan Buffet and the Council Room Restaurant and both had excellent service and food. Every employee at the resort we encountered greeted us and made us feel special. I highly recommend this resort and will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pueblo, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I arrived tired and cranky after driving 5 hours thru sleet and snow from Pueblo, CO. Upon first approach, I saw that the hotel grounds were vast and meticulously maintained. Perched on a gradual slope with stunning views of the mountains and the city, make sure to request your preference upon check-in.

We valet parked upon arrival (free for hotel guests), bellmen were available. Check-in was a breeze, and I must admit that my crankiness disappeared immediately upon entering the vast, inviting, stylish, polished, and swanky lobby. The southwest decor was of good taste, there were plentiful comfy chairs to sit in for people watching, a free daily paper was available from the bell desk, a complementary computer kiosk available next to the front desk, and free wi-fi throughout the property.

The handsome, clean, and modern elevator delivered us briskly to our floor (room 840). The carpet, walls, decor were in such good condition, I believed the establishment to be brand new (factoid- not new, but recently refurbished). Our room looked out over the city, my husband would've preferred the mountain view, but my wishes trumped his, and we had a city (in the wee distance) view. The room was vast with attractive furnishings which matched the rest of the hotel (southwestern theme, but with a modern twist). I fell in love with the bathroom, huge, with granite countertops, soaking tub, separate shower with that thick, clean glass that all the fancy hotels have.

For our convenience, there was a fridge, Keurig coffee maker with a handful of k-cups (free), flat screen HD TV, iron, hair dryer (of course), plenty of hangers AND plug-ins right next to the bed on both sides. Extremely handy for charging my Kindle, camera, and cell phone. There was also one of those iPhone docking station radio/alarm clock things (not sure how they work, my cell phone has buttons - I know, totally uncool.) Another nice surprise were the FREE local phone calls. The bed linens were crisp and high quality/thread count. The pillows were oversized and fluffy, I'm not sure if there was a flat one in the closet or not (although there were extra bed linens in there).

The Casino: My husband fondly refers to me as a degenerate gambler, which I suppose I am, but that doesn't mean that I have low standards in regards to slot machines. I want lots of them, I want them new, I want drinks brought to me, and I want to play until my head is spinning with bonus rounds, triple bars, free spins, and I'm either completely broke (for the night) or winning and exhausted. That being said, the Sandia has a very comfortable casino. While I am not a smoker, I found the slots in the non-smoking casino to be pretty tight and too quiet. I like noise, ching-ching-ching, people laughing, hooting, and the such. So, I preferred to wander the main casino looking for games with 80%+ payout (look for the little white sticker near the screen for this guarantee). I had a $150/day budget and I played for hours on end! I play pennies, I bet fairly small (30-60-90), I like the thrill of the spin, I have never played so many bonus rounds! I won some each night, after a 3 day stay, I came out ahead! Sure, I didn't win any jackpots, but I'd say I gambled about 4-5 hours each day.

The Buffet: To me, the one real downer of the Sandia resort is the buffet. I should qualify my comments to follow... I am a foodie, so take what I say with a grain of salt (himalayan, pink to be precise). The food on the buffet seemed unoriginal, tired, and bland. While everything seemed "fresh," nothing was good or tasty. It's really hard to describe, nothing was "bad," but neither was anything good. The food was fairly pedestrian, maybe a step or two down from say... Golden Corral. So skip it and head into town for some traditional New Mexican fare (the Range in Bernalillo was phenomenal or Chen's Chinese in ABQ has excellent chop suey, it's on Juan Tabo just S of I-40).

Overall, this was an excellent trip. Sandia resort can compete with the likes of Wynn or Caesar's in Vegas as far as the hotel and gambling goes (slots), and the food- well, let's leave that for another review.

Room Tip: Request either city or mountain view at check-in. The higher, the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandia Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!