“Surprise... High end luxury in Albuquerque!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2-Night Special Package
Ranked #28 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Pueblo, CO
“Surprise... High end luxury in Albuquerque!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I arrived tired and cranky after driving 5 hours thru sleet and snow from Pueblo, CO. Upon first approach, I saw that the hotel grounds were vast and meticulously maintained. Perched on a gradual slope with stunning views of the mountains and the city, make sure to request your preference upon check-in.

We valet parked upon arrival (free for hotel guests), bellmen were available. Check-in was a breeze, and I must admit that my crankiness disappeared immediately upon entering the vast, inviting, stylish, polished, and swanky lobby. The southwest decor was of good taste, there were plentiful comfy chairs to sit in for people watching, a free daily paper was available from the bell desk, a complementary computer kiosk available next to the front desk, and free wi-fi throughout the property.

The handsome, clean, and modern elevator delivered us briskly to our floor (room 840). The carpet, walls, decor were in such good condition, I believed the establishment to be brand new (factoid- not new, but recently refurbished). Our room looked out over the city, my husband would've preferred the mountain view, but my wishes trumped his, and we had a city (in the wee distance) view. The room was vast with attractive furnishings which matched the rest of the hotel (southwestern theme, but with a modern twist). I fell in love with the bathroom, huge, with granite countertops, soaking tub, separate shower with that thick, clean glass that all the fancy hotels have.

For our convenience, there was a fridge, Keurig coffee maker with a handful of k-cups (free), flat screen HD TV, iron, hair dryer (of course), plenty of hangers AND plug-ins right next to the bed on both sides. Extremely handy for charging my Kindle, camera, and cell phone. There was also one of those iPhone docking station radio/alarm clock things (not sure how they work, my cell phone has buttons - I know, totally uncool.) Another nice surprise were the FREE local phone calls. The bed linens were crisp and high quality/thread count. The pillows were oversized and fluffy, I'm not sure if there was a flat one in the closet or not (although there were extra bed linens in there).

The Casino: My husband fondly refers to me as a degenerate gambler, which I suppose I am, but that doesn't mean that I have low standards in regards to slot machines. I want lots of them, I want them new, I want drinks brought to me, and I want to play until my head is spinning with bonus rounds, triple bars, free spins, and I'm either completely broke (for the night) or winning and exhausted. That being said, the Sandia has a very comfortable casino. While I am not a smoker, I found the slots in the non-smoking casino to be pretty tight and too quiet. I like noise, ching-ching-ching, people laughing, hooting, and the such. So, I preferred to wander the main casino looking for games with 80%+ payout (look for the little white sticker near the screen for this guarantee). I had a $150/day budget and I played for hours on end! I play pennies, I bet fairly small (30-60-90), I like the thrill of the spin, I have never played so many bonus rounds! I won some each night, after a 3 day stay, I came out ahead! Sure, I didn't win any jackpots, but I'd say I gambled about 4-5 hours each day.

The Buffet: To me, the one real downer of the Sandia resort is the buffet. I should qualify my comments to follow... I am a foodie, so take what I say with a grain of salt (himalayan, pink to be precise). The food on the buffet seemed unoriginal, tired, and bland. While everything seemed "fresh," nothing was good or tasty. It's really hard to describe, nothing was "bad," but neither was anything good. The food was fairly pedestrian, maybe a step or two down from say... Golden Corral. So skip it and head into town for some traditional New Mexican fare (the Range in Bernalillo was phenomenal or Chen's Chinese in ABQ has excellent chop suey, it's on Juan Tabo just S of I-40).

Overall, this was an excellent trip. Sandia resort can compete with the likes of Wynn or Caesar's in Vegas as far as the hotel and gambling goes (slots), and the food- well, let's leave that for another review.

Room Tip: Request either city or mountain view at check-in. The higher, the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've stayed at Sandia many times and I've never been disappointed. The rooms have recently been renovated and the beds are extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are huge with a vanity, soaking tub and seperate shower, and a partitioned toilet area. The city and mountain views are amazing. The only negative I have is that it's possible to hear other guests as they enter/exit their rooms and since this is a casino, people people tend to come and go at all hours.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the city or mountains
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I did not stay here, I just came for an event. That being said, I can not comment on the rooms. The property is huge and beautiful. It was very clean, comfortable and did not smell as many casinos do. The view from outside is very nice. The employees I encountered were all very nice and friendly. Make sure you check out the tramway which is just down the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've stayed numerous times here and have loved it every time. Our room had been refurbished and was lovely. The service has always been great. You can't beat the view regardless if your room faces east or west. Just a wonderful stay once again.

• Stayed March 2013
Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed here the last 5 years during the Fiery Food Show and each time is a treat. The rooms have all been remodled in the last few months. While I liked the Indian motiff of the former rooms the remodle was done in the best of taste. Imagine going into your room and have a welcome " Your first and last name" to Sandia Hotel and Casino on the new flat screen TV. Super large room and oversized bathroom. Clean, Clean, Clean. All of the restaurants at Sandia are superb and the staff are professionals.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room for spectacalur views of the Sandia's. However the view of the city...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I asked for a mountain view room and it was just amazing to look out my window each day and see the sun shine over those mountains. One morning it snowed and seeing that was equally amazing. Room was very spacious, modern and clean. Flat panel TV looked brand new, ands the bathroom was large and nice. Front desk, concierge, shuttle service, Bien Shur restaurant service were all outstanding. Scallops at Bien Shur restaurant were REALLY good, but as for the buffet, I was not a fan. Some of the service was indifferent at times. Also, while leaving the casino late at night to head up to my room I was stopped and asked by a hotel employee to give my name and room # so he could find it on the list he had in his hand, then had to wait there for him to find my info before he could let me pass to get to the elevators. I get that it was for security but I really thought that was annoying. All in all, I would go back. But please make that whole "checking to make sure you are a guest" thing more efficient!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

As soon as we saw our 7 11 room # we were prepared for good luck, and we found it when we opened the door. Our suite was huge, wonderfully appointed and provided a magnificent view of the mountains. It was a business trip for my wife who appreciated the super tech support for her every need. The concierge, Jaycee, was as pleasant and helpful as possible and the spa people worth the extra pampering. We were not interested in the casino which was hopping at all times;however, the smoke emitting from it did permeate the hotel air. If one does not have a car, it is a 20 minute cab ride into Old Town. Otherwise, the hotel provided a luxurious car to take us to the airport as a courtesy.

Room Tip: View of mountains is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sandia Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!