“Hilton Honor members, average property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburg, Texas
“Hilton Honor members, average property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent 2 different nights there 2 weeks apart during our 2 week family road trip. We arrived 31st as we were traveling to California and a week and a half later as we made our way back to Texas.
This place is some what of an new property that is in some need of some TLC. But otherwise its a good and restful place to stay. As with all Embassy Suites and Hilton properties, we're always greeted because of our Hilton Honor membership to the brand.
On our first stay we had just completed a nearly 800 mile trip from San Antonio, Texas. We arrived during the late evening.
For those of you who read this review, this is a John Q. Hammons franchise property out of Texas. We've stayed at his hotels in Dallas, the Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa at Out Door World, or so its called in Grapevine Texas. And we've also stayed at his other Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa in Hot Springs Arkansas back in 2005, another beautiful property. What I like about his properties is he puts his own flare and twist to the décor and design both the interior and exterior of the hotels compared to the rubber stamp look of other Embassy Suites throughout the U.S. Look at the exterior photo I have attached. And for a look of his property in Grapevine (Dallas) Texas, look through my contributions section to find that review and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Well recently as I found out is that Mr John Q. Hammons passed away a few months ago according to the front desk clerk one night as I was about to do laundry. R.I.P Mr Hammons, you've made some beautiful properties and its because of owners like you that made us loyal as Hilton Honor members .

Now onto the review.
When we checked in I asked if he had bellhop services or luggage racks available and the front desk clerk said they did. He went searching for a bellhop but he came back after checking me in saying they had just gone on break and but he would assist me in helping me with my luggage. Now I don't' point this out as a negative or a con against the hotel but the front desk man didn't have to offer to help as I was willing to do it myself. But the mere fact he rolled up his sleeves and helped out with my luggage, well my family and I were very grateful. I didn't catch his name but he was a smaller guy, i'm about 6'2 and he was easily about 5'8 Hispanic male. I was traveling with my two sisters and 2 elder parents who are disabled so I really appreciated the help.
The interior décor is typical New Mexico flare of indian or pueblo style pottery fixtures and dark/burnt orange colored hues.
The only small draw back is that the carpet to some extent and some pieces of the room are showing its age and wear and tear. Our door lock (photo provided below) has seen better days and it was no longer latched onto the door so it kind of voided the whole notion of even putting it on for safety. Carpets, although cleaned, are starting to wear out. Beautiful granite counter tops in the restroom but some mold around the tub and shower surround.
On first trip out there around the 31st we also ordered room service. Now I'd like to take a moment and say that although it is pricey like all room service hotels tend to be, the quality and portion of the food was fantastic! We were all blown away at how delicious and fresh the food was and that's cause we've stayed at Embassy Suite hotels from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL and this was by far the best in room dining experience EVER.

When we came back to the hotel nearly a week and a half later around the 8th of Aug, we ordered take out as room service was closed for the night. The front desk clerk provided a list of menu's of restaurants that delivered to the property. It was during this stay that I used their laundry facilities. Its located at the 9th floor and you need to purchase tokens at the front desk in order to operate them. Be aware that they have both top load and front load washer and dryers. One uses regular old fashion detergent and the other requires High Efficiency which is a plus as I had purchased HE because the Marriott property we stayed at in Flagstaff, Az only had HE machines. The fact that you're required to purchase tokens kinda puzzles me, you also require tokens to play in their arcade playroom. go figure.

All in all, good hotel dining, and by all measures a clean place to stay. But it is in need of some updating as some of their décor and furniture is showing its age. Another gripe that I've seen most complain about and agree is the internet policy.
I've always known as a Hilton Honors member for the past 11 years that Embassy charges anywhere from $9 to $12 dollars for a 24 hour session. All you had to do was charge it to your room and you had wireless connection. It use to be that you could log in if you had multiple devices but all of that has changed. If you have a smart phone or if someone in your party has their own tablet or laptop, they each have to pay for their own connection. That wasn't always the case, and if any employee says so otherwise then they haven't been around the Hilton brand to know that the company is price gouging customers this way. Hilton doesn't do this with all their other properties as Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden and even Homewood offer complimentary.
Embassy Suites only offers it free if your a Platinum or Diamond member Hilton Honors member.

Room Tip: ask to be located near elevator upon check in if you have a disablity
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your valueable feedback! Our hotel is approaching its 10th birthday and we do have some work to do to make sure it stays looking great. I am happy to report that we have begun addressing some of our carpet issues.

Our room service and culinary teams have been working hard to ensure the quality of food in your suite is identical to what you receive tableside and I am happy to hear they did well for you.

Mr. Hammons did well with the design of this hotel and it great to hear that our guests appreciate and recognize the southwestern and pueblo motif we have at our property.

Your review is very helpful in improving our products and services!

Thank you!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Albuquerque, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had one weekend to give the kids something special before school started. We couldn't take a trip, so we staycated instead. I let them pick from about 8 hotels online, and they chose the Embassy. Good choice, I thought - I'd attended conferences there, and my high-school reunion (on which occasion I'd had a room). Check-in and -out were quick and seamless, the pool wasn't frigid (though the hot tub was too hot to stay in), and the free breakfast was decent. They even had green chile for the omelets, though it wasn't listed on the sign. The only minus, and it's hardly unique to the Embassy, was that they charged for Internet access. I could have paid, but I resent paying extra for something McDonald's (and Super 8) give me for free. I tethered to my phone's mobile hotspot instead, in silent protest.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review! It is great to hear your check-in process was quick and efficient. We have been working hard to improve this process and I am happy to hear our hard work is paying off. Unfortunately we do charge for internet service but we do have a complimentary business center for use which has internet access.

The breakfast here is great and I am glad you had the opportunity to taste our green chile!

Thanks again for your comments!

Sincerly,

El Paso, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Friendly front desk staff; suite clean and quiet; food of good quality. The ambience of the hotel was relaxing and attractive. Beds were quite comfortable. Nice selection of food items at breakfast; room service menu reasonable in price (Carrot Cake was superb)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review! I am very excited to hear about your stay here. The kitchen team defintely works very hard to produce high quality meals during all meal periods. I am also happy to hear your suite was comfortable as well. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how we are doing!

Lubbock, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great venue for a meeting, as well as, a great place to get some rest away from the hustle and bustle of the big city trappings. The best value for the money that I have seen in a long time. Great breakfast! Great value and a classy place to stay in Albuquerque!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our meeting facilities and the wonderful selection at our complimentary, hot breakfast buffet and cooked to order station. We strive to provide great experiences for our guests and I am excited to hear that you enjoyed yours. Thank you for taking the time to write!

Roswell, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are very nice, and I was happy when we were checked in early. I stopped in to pick up my tickets to the Titanic exhibit and the lady who helped me was very kind and helpful. We got to the room and everything was very nice. This is where our enjoyable stay at what was supposed to be a premium hotel ended. I have stayed at other Embassy Suites in the United States and this one is by far the most "ghetto" for lack of a better adjective. My husband and I were not presented with bracelets for the managers reception upon check in and it slipped my mind that we needed one, so after waiting in line 15 mins, we were told we needed to get a bracelet and that was understandable so I went to the concierge and waited another 20mins as there was only one person a young gentleman, once it was my turn I got my bracelets and was getting a little antsy, I asked why we hadn't received our bracelet at check in as I had observed him giving them out to the two guests ahead of me, he very rudely stated that they were not available or whoever checked me in forgot but that it wasn't him that checked me in so he didn't know what happened, then he proceeded to dismiss me by asking the lady behind me what he could help her with and I said, Sir I had one more question, to which he replied WHAT? I said never mind, and the lady behind me tapped my shoulder and asked if I was okay I said yes and asked if she knew what time breakfast was, she answered me and I now almost 45 mins later joined my husband and daughter at the managers reception, where I looked for a manger but one was not present to be found, the appetizer trays were empty and I was just happy to sit and have a drink and watch my daughter get he face painted. The clown was AWESOME!! best part of our stay! The next morning we went to breakfast and the first six plates were filthy not just like the washer had missed a few spots but caked on food, I found an attendant and he seemed irritated that I had bothered him with such a medial thing, we proceeded to get our breakfast to which we found the gravy empty and one biscuit left and waited 12mins for it to be refilled and as I was walking to my table an attendant bumped me and got syrup all over my shirt, he didn't miss a beat though just kept walking, I though my husband was going to blow a gasket at this point, we enjoyed our breakfast and took our time checking out. The pool is enjoyable, and the beds are comfy. I just feel we paid for a premium experience and got cheated. I have honestly had better service for a fraction of the price at other establishments. we chose Embassy because it comes with a brand of service. We were disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. Exceptional service is the standard at any Embassy Suites, and I would like to apologize that on several occasions our staff in Albuquerque did not meet those expectations. I will be sharing this review with the our team to highlight that we could have done much better.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the experience with "Jingles" the Clown at the Manager's Reception. I will be working closely with the Manager who oversee's the Reception area to make sure that dirty plates and empty appetizer trays are no longer an issue.

Thank you for taking the time to help us improve our services.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

hotel and beds was very nice but the hot tub was above the 104 noted. cleaning people might want to be more respectful of the mobility impaired as spouse went to breakfast early and when he went to get coffee they picked up all his food and he was already hurting too much to get another plate. was very hard to undertstand maid as needed some help but they only spoke spanish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review! I am so sorry to hear that the breakfast team cleared your husband's plate prematurely. I will definitely speak with the Team to make sure we are more careful about clearing plates, and do not clear something we are not supposed to.

As far as the hot tub, I have asked our Engineering Department to investigate and address the temperature issues.

Thank you for taking the time to help us improve our services.

Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Forgive me but when I pay over 100 a night for a hotel I want free wi-fi . Really guys ? But a nice newer hote,l but my room carpet was real dirty and when I walked on it my socks were black on bottom , yuck . I dont drink while im at a skating event but did like to hang out at the cocktail hour I only wish they changed up the appetizers .The staff was helpful and the breakfast is the best . There are a lot of choices in albuquerque where to stay if wi-fi is something you need look somewhere else .I will next time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. While I understand your frustration for paying for the internet, it is a Hilton Standard that we provide the internet at a fee of $9.95. In regards to the carpet – I have passed your comments on to our Housekeeping Manager so that she may address the issue to better the level of cleanliness that we offer. I am glad that you enjoyed the staff and the breakfast. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Kaisha S. Gurtner
Front Office Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!