“Tale of Two Hotels” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Tale of Two Hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I think the hotel is simply going through some management issues because service can be great, but then poor. Attitudes great, and then not so great. As others have posted, housekeeping, room service, breakfast, etc. can all vary from day to day. If you get a room facing downtown (city view) you should be okay. But my first room looked onto a freeway exit so you have no idea you are staying in Albuquerque - not a big deal for a one night stay but this was for six nights. But the view from the rooms facing the city are awesome. Some issues can not be explained such as room service tray still outside the door the next morning. (Yes, I did call to say I was done, and it was not late 9pm). And housekeeping not always re-filling amenities. But on the good side the room service food was great - had the chicken quesadilla which was outstanding and plenty left to go into the fridge and use later. And the breakfasts are good with everyone in our group raving about the omlettes. And I found the staff at the manager's reception great. Also know other than rooms on the 9th floor, none have windows that open. The 9th floor rooms have small balcony's. And reception desk is not well staffed - you will probably always have to wait for help. Having said all that, I'd return if I got a good rate and could be sure to get city view.

Room Tip: Get a 'city view' room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Albuquerque, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback. It is reviews such as yours that allow us to train and re-focus our efforts where there is a shortfall. I can assure you that we will be addressing all aspects that you brought up in regards to the management and associates in those departments. We try to deliver a high level of customer service, and constantly strive to be your destination of choice while you are in Albuquerque. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our guest.

461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Santa Fe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wow...you walk in the lobby and this hotel is beautiful but BEWARE when you get into the rooms that is different story. I checked out 3 room before they gave us the Pentihouse floor, which really was all that. I saw dirty toliets, dirty lamp shades, crumbles all over the counters to dirty walls to beds that had been laid on. But this is the icing on the cake.... one room on the seventh floor has a curtain with a patch with spores growing on it. It looked like a pitre dish growing mold. Staff confirmed that they have housekeeping issues. The next morning we asked for extra towels and never got those. What a nightmare of an experience. Could not get out of there fast enough!

Room Tip: Don't stay there until they resolve these issues!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to express your recent experience with us, although it does not sound very pleasant. We are currently revamping our efforts in all aspects of our housekeeping and inspectors staff to provide a better, cleaner guest stay. I would like to thank you for your feedback and invite you to call me to discuss further and also hope to offer you a more tangible gesture of my concern for your recent stay. I can be reached at 505-353-5349.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

From the moment I walked in the door of the Embassey the staff went out of their way to assist and accommodate our needs. The hotel was clean and lovely; the staff made the stay: provided maps, directions, suggestions for the evening. This was a great experience... really.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for your feedback and taking the time to write about your recent experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel and that our staff was so gracious and accommodating. We look forward to you staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Albuquerque,

Thatcher
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel itself was in a convenient location and the staff was friendly. The breakfast crew was absolutely amazing in getting orders out quickly and the tables were cleared off by very friendly people. Rooms were in good condition. But if you smoke.......the website still says smoking available but they have changed their policy. We booked months in advance because it was smoking and upon checkin were told that "You requested a smoking room but we don't allow it". Ok, we're meeting family and the room has been prepaid. They had our reservation and contact information and we received another confirmation three days upon arrival and they still did not tell us. It's fine if a hotel wants to be smoke free but we should have a choice which we thought we did. Might be nice to have a smoke area instead of right next to the front door ..........but have to say that the staff was friendly and said hello everytime you came back in. The policy didn't ruin our weekend but it sure could have been handled differently. And it sure was nice meeting all the friendly smokers who were in the same situation !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. This is a new policy and while we are not 100% smoke free; we are in the process of converting those rooms. You are absolutely right in that it was not communicated properly and for that I sincerely apologize. We are working with the Hilton Team to quickly resolve the issue. I appreciate your positive outlook and enjoying the rest of your stay and also that you enjoyed our pleasant staff. However, I would like to offer you a more tangible gesture of my concern for the disappointment you encountered – I can be reached via phone at 505-353-5349.

Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Room was nicely furnished and very comfortable. Everything else was poor.

* Walls so thin, that when the neighbors came back to their room at 2 a.m., they woke up my kids with loud conversations that included about five F-words per minute. (Happy Easter, kids!) Had to call security. My standard is that if you can hear a neighbor sliding the shower curtain, then the walls are too thin. Rating: Fail.

* The hotel was saving their main dining area for the high-paying Easter buffet patrons, so we hotel guests got served in a banquet room. They didn't bother deploying anyone to clean the tables after other diners, so we dined in dirtiness -- dirty tablecloths, piles of dirty plates on surrounding tables. Rating: Fail.

I wouldn't return -- there are other hotels around.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the disturbance you and your family encountered while visiting over Easter. I hope that our security team was able to mitigate the situation before it ruined your entire stay. In regards to your experience with the breakfast in our ballroom, we will definitely note that for the future and make immediate changes to ensure that other guests do not experience the same setting that you did. I do apologize for that experience and would like to offer a more tangible gesture of our apologies. I can be reached at 505-353-5349.

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have been fans of ES when our company used to pay for these hotels. We have previously stayed at San Jose, Denver and Lompoc ES. This one however, is a bit dated.
Check-in was efficient; we were promptly met and checked in. The hotel receptionist succumbed to my charm and granted us free internet in our room after I asked for it. Personally, I think it is reprehensible that hotels still charge for Wi-Fi especially the higher end chains. Here it is 10 bucks a night PER DEVICE! Pretty insane, however it was free in the common areas??? Hampton Inn, another Hilton property we frequent, always provides Wi-Fi for free.
The room was typical ES rooms, one bedroom with a living area. First impressions were fine, but looking around a few things were in disarray. The bathroom wallpaper had brown stains, mildew or something on it and the bathroom calking looked horrible at best. The bedroom closet had its handle "reattached" by some ill-fitting screws making the closet difficult to open. Also the sink had a large crack in it which had been fixed however the sink should have been replaced. Forgot to take that pic. Other pics are attached.
With that said, the room was quiet and I received my room choice, as far away from the elevator as possible. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The alarm clock was falling apart however. The top cover piece would detach itself with zero effort. Thank goodness for alarm clock apps.
Housekeeping refilled our toiletries and the room was cleaned when we came back.
Manager’s reception aka free happy hour was a bit chaotic. Many hotel guests were forming a line with two servers taking orders vying for a position in line. Our first and only encounter was ok. My GF asked what kind of wine they had and was promptly given the answer "Red or White" Really?? How about the actual variety such as Pinot or Zin, which after some prodding he did produce the varieties. Sad actually. The happy hour food consisted of crackers, assorted cheeses, chip, and salsa. There was not a fruit or veggie option, which again is disappointing.

Made to Order breakfast was fine, at least the made to order part of it. GF ordered an omelet which was very good and the cooks are very friendly. However, I had eggs, bacon sausage, and potatoes. The eggs and potatoes were fine; however, the bacon and sausage were not very warm and were obtained at the MTO counter. Overall I give it about a two for a la carte and a 5 for MTO which is really the big draw so I should have went that route. The seating by the water feature was very nice.
The common areas were nice and well-kept and had no issues.
Plusses were the hotel are staff except for the manager’s reception bartender common areas and large rooms.
Minuses are room age, items in room not fixed properly, and a few happy hour staff members.

Room Tip: Far away from the elevator was quiet. Ask for free internet the hotel receptionist barely hesitated...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EmbassyABQ, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Albuquerque, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback and for taking the time to write such an extensive review. We are providing your disappointment with the price of the internet back to Hilton, however for now, the price is a standard for all Embassy Suites. In regards to your room, we have implemented a new inspection process within our housekeeping department and are starting to see better results so that we can find and correct the issues you experienced before you arrive. In regards to the quality of the room and the amenities offered – we are scheduled for a full renovation sometime next year. Trust that we will address our offerings in the breakfast, as well as, for the manager’s reception to provide a better experience overall. Again, I want to thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had to ask for toiletries/towels that did not get replaced. Bfast was always packed and I had to clear my own table most days. Hot food was not replaced in a timely manner. Breakfast staff seemed annoyed. Dinner staff and the restaurant were GREAT! The fish and chips, table side guacamole, and the tortilla soup were excellent!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. I have passed your comments in regards to the room amenities, as well as, the breakfast and dinner experience to the applicable departments. I would like to thank you for both the positive and negative feedback, as your experience and reviews help us to improve overall. I can assure you that we do not take your comments lightly and will re-double our efforts where needed.

Front Office Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Albuquerque? Share your experiences!