“Perfect Pizza in a Gritty Atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Perfect Pizza in a Gritty Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Giovanni's in search of the perfect cannoli. Instead we found the perfect pizza. I am not a voracious eater and we got a small pie, which I ate most of, to my partner's shock. I have never eaten a spinach pesto pizza before. This had the chewiest mozzarella, the freshest spinach, garlicky garlic, and was the perfect combination of moist and thick and crisp.
The atmosphere was gritty linoleum and a little greasy but reasonably clean and nicely Italian red and white and green. It reminded me of a lot of New Jersey pizza places, and being from New Jersey, it was comforting to be in that familiar environment with its little bit of grit. Despite the cozy familiarity of grit, I would prefer to take my pizza home. However, my girlfriend, who said, "I managed a pizza place and I know pizza--the quality of pizza totally changes when you take it home." When asked how she meant this she said, "When it sits in that box and steams up it gets gross and can't even get salvaged if you heat it up."
As for romantic, she agreed the atmosphere was not that, but added that "wherever I go with you is romantic." (A little touch of tawdry romance was present in the wall we sat beside that was covered with NY theatre production brochures.)
It remains undecided whether we will eat our pizza there or at home but it is certain we will eat Giovanni's pizza again. As for cannoli (she thought it was "too cinnamony" but I found it too sweet), get your dessert at Saggio's.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, Maryland
“best pizza i have ever tasted in the western hemisphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Gotta tell you, i love this pizza. Remember to me the times I went to Milan and tasted the pizza over there. and the smell. the crisp crust and the peperroni, to die for!

Visited June 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Best Pie in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stopped at Giovanni's after reading about it in a "Best of Albuquerque issue." It really is the best Pie in town. Pizza is delicious with many toppings to choose from. A traditional New York Style crust. Dessert is fantastic as well. Don't forger to try a canoli or tira misu. Can't go wrong with the pizza or the service here.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“NY style in NM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

best pizza in town, only issue is their delivery area doesn't cover my neighborhood.

Bloomington, Minnesota
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Three of us went for pizza expecting something exceptional after reading Tripadvisor. Ordered 1/2 and 1/2--one with chicken and the other with sausage and pepperoni. Very edible but quite ordinary. I'm no Italian expert but the pizza didn't taste like what we'd had in Italy. Maybe pasta is more Italian-- we didn't try that. It's self service; appears they do a lot of take out.

• Visited February 2012