“Home made, authentic New Mexican” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 1,536 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
“Home made, authentic New Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have been going to Albuquerque for 20 years and just discovered this wonderful spot. It is in an unassuming building near strip malls and brake shops.
Friendly and rapid service.
For $50 for a family of 4 we had fresh and authentic food. The green chile sauce is very hot (you can order it on the side if you prefer). The beef tamales were delicious.
This is not a good spot for vegetarians though as the green chile is the classic kind with meat. The sopapillas really were like giant fried pillows. We will be going back.

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
“soooooo good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

took the family to albuquerque fora day at the zoo and the aquarium, and to kick the morning off we had breakfast at Perea's... got there shortly after they opened and within 5 minutes we were seated, and orders taken .... we all had breakfast burritos, smothered in green or red chili, you can;t go wring with either choice... my grandson devoured his bean burritos and rice, and there was almost complete silence as we ate....we come here almost every trip to the duke city. thier quality and service are always above par... if you want excellent "New Mexican" food this is the place... the surrounding are very modest, but the food is what gets you there over and over again....mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm great.....got an order of the beans, tortillas, homemade, and sopas to go, so we could have for dinner......

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albuquerque, Nm
“You want HOT green chile? They got HOT green chile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've eaten at Perea's countless times. I have to admit that even though I'm a local, "New Mexican cuisine" is not my favorite. However, when you want it, you want it done right. You can't get much better than Perea's. Perea's is a small-ish, relatively no-frills restaurant, but don't despair if there's a line. Service is fast and friendly, and you'll be seated before you know it.

I've never had a bad meal at Perea's, and it's a great place to take out-of-town visitors if they want "authentic" NM food... as long as you warn them to get the chile on the side. Their green chile is the hottest I've ever tried. My frequent dining companion raves about their carne adovada (but I'm more partial to green over red), and it's one of his staples. Their food is always served quickly and hot off the stove/out of the oven. Their huge menu is available all day but I think their specialty is breakfast. Prices are reasonable and portions are generous. You might even have leftovers if you can keep yourself from scarfing this amazing food down. Oh, and definitely do yourself a favor and order the refried beans. Healthy? No. I'm sure they have lard and bacon in them. Best refried beans in the city? Damn straight.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great New Mexico Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is one of our favorite spots. I especially like the beef, refried beans and potato stuffed sopaipilla plate (be sure to ask for the extras (lettuce, tomatoes) if you like them. Great with sides of sour cream and guacamole. Also very good is the chicken enchilada plate with green chili.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Go for brunch - eggs, green chile, carne adovada, sopapillas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We went to Pereas for brunch and each of us ordered a little something different, but with similar themes of carne adovada , green chile, and fresh tortillas. The pork was out of this world! Prices were reasonable, especially for the amount of food. I wouldn't go here every weekend because it was sooo much food, but if you have family in town, looking for a "hungover brunch", like doggie bags, or don't plan to have another meal for a while then look no further! For more of my ABQ reviews visit: http://treetownnewbie.com/2014/03/18/abqfeb14/

• Visited February 2014