“Best of the Best New Mexican food!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Cape Coral
“Best of the Best New Mexican food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have been dining at Perea's as far back as I can remember - I would like to say nearly 20 years. The food they produce is outstanding and I have always considered it my favorite place for New Mexican.

I no longer live in Albuquerque but when I visit I almost make at least one trip. A few weeks ago I did just that. I was happy to hear that they have relocated back to Juan Tabo. (They have moved around quite a bit over the years, and their first Juan Tabo location being my favorite). The new location is small and not quite as cozy as the others; which I know for a fact is impacting their business. For this reason Perea's may not be the best place for a romantic meal but I will tell you that the food has not changed one bit and is still as good as the first time I fell in love with it.

Recommendations:
Highly recommend the egg, potato and chorizo burrito, smothered in green. My mother would recommend the carne adovada plate. She raves about their carne and their beans. Oh and we always get a couple sopapillas on the side which are HUGE.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
sterling heights, MI
“1st Time To New Location but Food Still Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ever since my daughter moved to ABQ we've been going to Perea's during my once a year visits. I was somewhat leery about the new location which appears to be much smaller than the one on Central but the food remains excellent. We went twice for breakfast and weren't disappointed. I still think it has the best carne adovada in ABQ and great sopapillas which are a little heavier than others I've had but I like them that way. I've always torn pieces of them off and then put some honey on the pieces but I noticed a guy tear off a corner and then squirt the honey inside the sopapilla. Unfortunately, I had already eaten mine so didn't get to try it that way. The refried beans have a slight smoky flavor which may be from bacon but they are very good if a little different. Perea's is always an eating stop for my family when in ABQ.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albuquerque
“Should be on diners, drive-ins and dives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

While tiny in stature, Perea's on Juan Tabo is oh so tasty. The green and red chili is outstanding while the food is very fresh and served piping hot usually under ten minutes. We have to go at least once a week and get our chili fix!

I think it is New Mexican food at its best. Go check it out. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, Virginia
“A Newbie to New Mexican Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Perea's was my first experience with New Mexican cuisine and I loved it. I got the adovada platter and the flavors were bursting in my mouth. New flavors. Delicious flavors.

We were seated by a little girl about 7 years old. I thought it was sweet. A grown-up took our orders, though. :)

The place is unassuming and small and seemed very laid-back. A couple walked in as we were leaving and the server welcomed them back, saying he hadn't seem them in awhile. I liked that.

Visited June 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“food great service not so great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

food great service not so great we had a great meal but server seemed to be more concerned with criticising other wait staff wich seemed to be doing a great job from what i observed instead of tending to her own customers eeerrrrso frustrating very unprofessional i would definitly go back for take out or maybe with a different server!!! You can have the best food on earth but if you have unprofessional service that can be devistating to your business.........!!!!!!

• Visited March 2013