“Renamed and restyled but not worth a visit.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,060 of 1,562 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican, Greek
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Renamed and restyled but not worth a visit.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Renamed as "The Saucy Italian Bistro", the food and service here are not worth a visit. I would only go back if required in order to save a friendship or a marriage. Nothing here is genuine Italian, little is fresh, and only the salad is above mediocre.

Visited November 2013

“Wow! Surprisingly good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place hasn't been open too long, and we kept meaning to try it. The outside looks like it's going to be a plain jane, regular inside of a restaurant. When we walked in, we were surprised at the semi-classy decor and overall pleasant ambiance. It seemed a little pricey, but when we left we thought it was worth it. The check for two adults and a child was about what we'd spend at Buffalo Wild Wings, but classier and we could hear each other to hold a conversation. My husband had the bacon wrapped filet with rice pilaf and sautéed veggies. I had the meatloaf with green chili cream sauce, mashed potatoes, and sautéed veggies. and the child had chicken tenders with french fries. We were so surprised at how good everything was! The child ended up eating veggies from our plates because they were so good. The green chili cream sauce was a little mild, but very tasty! The steak was cooked correctly and the taste was fabulous. The chicken tenders looked overdone, but they were perfect and the french fries were done perfectly. We also saw great happy hour prices 3p-9p and free happy hour appetizers in the bar area. We'd definitely, definitely go back and I'm going to tell all my friends to check it out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cactus "Cafeteria," Frozen Food Reheated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've watched several restaurants move in and out of this location, but a friend liked the pasta at Cactus Cafe so we tried it out. The first time, I ordered the quesadilla and my husband a grilled chicken sandwich. Even though it was not in the menu description, the quesadilla was completely overloaded with green chile. I can handle a little kick but again, not in the description of the dish. So my husband and I switched dishes and he had about half the quesadilla before he was overwhelmed by the chile. He is cajun and has a palate for extreme spice, but all the flavor in the quesadilla was...green chile. The chicken sandwich was utterly bland and I could get it at a drive-through for $4 instead of $9.

A few months later we tried it again, this was just a couple of weeks ago. We'd just finished singing in a lovely concert and were quite happy. Well, until after our meal! Husband ordered the riblets plate, which we expected to be BBQ'd pork OFF the bone. Instead it was BBQ'd bone with barely any meat on it, and the sauce was a thick soup. Too much sauce. I ordered a greek pasta which came in a lasagna-style wedge. It was like eating $10 lasagna. The spices were unusual but nothing to rave over. And...the side of vegetables were frozen and microwaved. I can't believe I paid money for that. Now we call it the Cactus Cafeteria and we will never, no never, eat there again. Our second visit the food was lamentably slow as well, and the service is fine, but again, nothing to rave over.

Serious thumbs down.