“Can you drink tea with your little finger up” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 1,533 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: British, Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Albuquerque
“Can you drink tea with your little finger up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

A group of friends decided to have formal tea at St James Tearoom to celebrate a birthday. How fun to get dressed up and find a number of hats waiting for you to try on just in case you don't have one similar to Kate Middleton. I have palsy and they were so accommodating. Finger cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream -- you get the idea. They do a slight twist in ingredients to bring something fresh to surprise your taste buds. We had a lovely formal tea and they were kind enough to take a picture of us to commemorate the day. Next time maybe I'll try lifting my little finger up. Do they still do that in England?

Visited September 2013

“Delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely recommend the tearoom for a girls night out with a twist. It is about $40 for food, tea, and tip which I felt was worth the price. Fabulous atmosphere that makes you feel like you are stepping back in time to have tea time in Europe. The food appears to be small portions but I assure you, you will be so full! They encourage tea time fashion which adds to the fun.

• Visited September 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“WAY WAY EXPENSIVE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not worth it. Yes it's beautiful - but you really have to be on the rich side of the Abq population to afford this! NOBODY should be charged $32 for tea! Really! The management has been asked to have some things on the menu for those Abq people who aren't rich. But they refuse - claiming they don't make any money - BUT funny thing they bought a building on Osuna! If you're rich this is for you. If you are middle class - forget it - you are not welcome at this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eristicus, Owner at The St James Tearoom, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
PRICE COMPARISONS (as of 8/28/13)

* Empress Hotel, British Columbia, Full Tea - $78 PP. (Lobby Tea, tables very close to each other, non-private area, some mass produced food (we know from guests who have told us.)

* Russian Tearoom, Manhattan, Full Tea - $38 PP.

* Brown Palace Hotel, Denver - $31 to $50 PP (Light Tea versus Full Tea.) Lobby Tea, tables very close to each other, Non-private area, some mass-produced food.)

* The St. James Tearoom (Albuquerque), Full Tea - $31 PP. (Private area, two hour reservation, every item hand-made by our chefs.)

* Antiquity Restaurant (Albuquerque), NY Strip Steak - $33.95 per plate.

* Zinc Restaurant (Albuquerque), Salmon or Steak - $26 to $29 per plate (approx. 8 oz.)

* Vernon's Steakhouse (Albuquerque), Full Meal for 4 with wine - $400, or $100 PP. (I know because I went there a few months ago for a big celebration dinner! :)

* The St. James Tearoom (Albuquerque), Full Tea - $31 per person, 3 courses hand-made, private room, full two hour reservation.

I believe these current price comparisons make a convincing statement that we are quite comparably priced for the level of service we provide, the hand-made nature of every food item we produce, and the privacy and intimacy our facility provides, here in the Albuquerque, New Mexico market.

Daniel C. Higbie
Owner
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Love the St. James!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have visited the St. James on numerous occasions and have always enjoyed the experience. I went with a friend to celebrate both our birthdays recently. We had a lovely time. The price is a little high but for the setting, service and specialty foods, it is pretty reasonable at about $40 a person.

The St. James is in a lovely place. The garden area outside the tea room is delightful to stop and take a few photos before of after your tea. The rooms are all so beautifully detailed and very sweet. I appreciate having two hours to enjoy the tea and the food. Somehow every time I visit I think 2 hours is a lot of time but it passes quickly because it is so much fun.

My friend and I were there during the Boston Tea Party menu. The foods were very fresh and tasty. We appreciated being able to request a tisane as one of our tea selections as we are both a bit sensitive to caffeine. My favorite tisane is Van Gogh, Smiling. It has a gorgeous red color and is very delicate to the palette.

We also enjoyed being able to tell our hosts about our birthdays and have a special birthday welcome along with the sign that welcomed us by name. All in all the St. James delivered a wonderful experience.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“St James is enchanting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Who would have thought that a world-class tea room would find a home in Albuquerque? I certainly did not. Having been to several of the best tea rooms in the civilized world and being somewhat of a tea snob, I can vouch that you will likely not find a better place to experience tea that at St. James Tea Room. Now, if you want a hamburger and fries or a Starbucks coffee Grande, then this...ahem...won't be your cup of tea. If, however, you want to experience a British pass-time in the Southwestern United States, there really isn't a better choice. Period. The tea is good. The service is impeccable. The Ambiance is beyond reproach. The price...is high. But if you compare it to the Plaza hotel or the Ritz, it's a bargain- at less than half those prices. And it's done better. Not for small children, but exceptional kids over the age of 10 may enjoy themselves.

• Visited July 2013