“There appears to be no good Chinese food in Abq.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #985 of 1,533 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Chinese
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“There appears to be no good Chinese food in Abq.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

A $57 mistake (2 of us, and we didn't get alcohol). We ate there at noon on 8-26-2006. We've eaten here once before, and the food was great - but not this time. We ordered the fried wontons and fire cracker dumplings for appetizers. The fried wontons were old and tasted like they were left over from the night before. They were so stale that they ended up shredding the top of my mouth. The dumplings were cold and rubbery. We came to the conclusion that these were probably left over from the night before. When we got the entrees (service was very slow since there was one waitress), they looked appealing (but then again, the appetizers look appealing too), however, they were cold and poorly prepared. I ordered the seafood delight and my companion ordered the duck dish. The duck appeared to have been pummeled to death. The bones were not removed. There seemed like hundreds of tiny bones in the duck. My companion complained that it was too much trouble to remove all of the bones to enjoy the duck. Plus, the duck was cold and stale (and greasy). I was disappointed with the seafood delight. Part of it was my fault; I thought the rice noodles would have been cooked. These rice noodles were crunchy and tasted like Styrofoam. There was very little seafood. The dish mostly consisted mostly of vegetables drowning in a cold cornstarch tasting bland sauce. The 3 scallops were okay. However, the snow crab was in various eviscerated shell pieces. My fingers got shredded up trying to get crabmeat from these squishy, sharp edge pieces of crab shell. I just gave up. It’s too much trouble. Plus, being on a vegetable based diet 6 days of the week, the last thing I want of my diet free day are vegetables!!! Plus, there is little point to fight with your meal so you can get some mediocre enjoyment out of it. While not Chow’s fault, the old crones sitting next to me were loud with their cell phone and constantly talked about the food on my plate (as though they were members of a peanut gallery). I wanted to reach around and slap them. The brats sitting at the other adjacent table made a scene about not eating port. The young woman insisted loudly that she would not eat pork, and she thought she was being served port.

Poor Atmosphere, Poor Service, Poor quality food! This restaurant can be a nice, but since Chow or the manager decided to serve poor quality food and charge high prices for it, I strongly recommend you don’t eat here! If you don’t have quality food to provide, then you should just shut your doors for the day or until you are ready. This incident showed a lack or integrity or control of the kitchen.

Don’t risk it! Just go to a Chinese buffet like the ones near San Mateo and Montgomery. At least, you get a selection and if you’re not happy then you’ve just lot 15 bucks or so not $50+.

“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

I agree with the reviewer above who says that ABQ doesn't have much in the way of Chinese food. It's pretty much all terrible. I have learned to subsist (quite happily, I might add!) on our awesome Indian and Thai restaurants. That said, Chow's probably is the best in town, but I still think it's pretty bad. The last time we went there my kung pao tasted more like vinegar than anything and my husbands shrimp were waaay overcooked and too tough to eat. If you have to have Chinese, go to Chow's (or try China Star), but if you want some really great Asian food, try Taj Mahal, Indian Kitchen, Siam Cafe, or Bangkok Cafe!

“None Compare !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

I couldn’t agree more with the person that submitted the other review. Except IMHO, there are a handful of other decent Chinese restaurants in the Albuquerque area, but none that compare in the slightest to Chow's!

My mother & wife are both Gemini's, & they're extremely picky when it come to Chinese food. Heck, they’re picky with everything for that matter. Now after taking them to Chow's, they refuse to eat anywhere else. Me, I'm not so hard to please. I love Chinese food, & I'll eat it just about any chance I get. Luckily, there's now two locations. One in the Heights, & one on the west side in the Cottonwood Mall. So when the craving hits, I don't have to travel clear up to the heights to get my fix anymore.

Give Chow’s a try!