“Truly Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
424 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87102-3518 (Huning Highland Historic District)
505-243-0200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,501 restaurants in Albuquerque
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
West Babylon, New York
“Truly Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This was so disappointing. My salad had rotten tomatoes on it and when I brought it to the waitresses attention she went back into the kitchen. She emerged to tell me that all of the tomatoes were like that. She seemed surprised when I suggested they throw them out. The pasta dish was just blah and all around me people were complaining. The men at the table next to us had rubbery steak and they also were not accommodated in any way.
The waitress although polite seemed to have no idea how to deal with these problems. This is a sub par restaurant that is full of itself. The only way it could have good ratings is if the owners write them.

There is so much great food in the city, skip this place and find it.

83% Recommend
South Florida
“A mishap turned into a wonderful meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

After re-confirming July 3rd dinner reservations at Cafe St. Michele less than a week earlier and told everything is fine. Imagine our dismay when we arrived and found the restaurant dark with a sign stating closed for the holiday,. Not seeing anything in old town that peaked our interest we headed towards downtown. Driving along Central Avenue I spotted Artichoke Cafe and remembered the great Trip Advisor reviews. We stopped and with a minimal wait were seated

After relaxing with good wine we ordered dinner. Our entrees were excellent; delicious; hot and nicely presented. Our waiter was informative, very attentive. but not intrusive.

In all we couldn't have asked for a better evening. Can't tell you how happy we were our original choice didn't pan out. I would definetely recommend Artichoke Cafe to anyone.

Los Angeles
“mediocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

We just went to the Artichoke Cafe. I ordered a vegetarian entree that sounded wonderful. The eggplant was so hard, I couldn't cut it with a steak knife. The salad was tasteless. The other people at our table ordered salmon and beef tenderloin and both were unusually salty. The veal was mediocre, the bill was not. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Washington, DC
“Excellent! What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

Highly recommended! This place exceeds in food, service, and the wine list. No offense to smaller towns (I'm a food snob from DC), but its rare to find a chef who understands subtlety of preparation without cloying sauces or a tendency to lean on butter and cream in a town not known for its fine cuisine, let alone any town. My sole was fresh, flavorful, perfectly prepared, and complemented beautifully. It stacks up with some of the better meals I've had anywhere!

The service was great...helpful, recommended terrific wines, and unobtrusive. The wine list is extensive and well chosen. It was a real treat to get food and service this good in Albuquerque.

The food in not inexpensive, and as others have pointed out, the ambiance isn't extremely fancy, but certainly pleasant and romantic. It feels like a neighborhood secret that the locals love and out of towners only find if they are seeking it.

Anyway, just go.

daerius
“Not Snobby...Just Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

The Artichoke Cafe is one of those places that is hard to pin down. The decor and the service is upscale, but not formal by any means. In fact, the service staff is often too friendly for a traditional upscale establishment. But the food...now THAT is completely upscale. The menu is diverse but not overpowering with too many choices. Care is taken with the preparation of and presentation of each dish and the flavors are sometimes unexpected, but always delicious. I think that one of the reasons that this restaurant is so successful is its blend of fine food and informal elegance. So if you are looking for a place to "Wow" someone with all of the glitz, this is not the place. But if you are just looking for a good, upscale dining experience where the food takes center stage, then this is it!