“Bad Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Description: 505-792-3221
Description: 505-792-3221
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Food not memorable. Service was slow. We were the only two in the restaurant. The guy at the cash register was rude.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I had dinner here and we could not have been more impressed! Walking in, the place is immaculate. It is very clean with really cool art work. We ordered the appetizer sampler and Alexa, our server, was happy to explain what each item on the sampler was and how it was made. Although everything on the sampler was delicious, I was particularly fond of the fried plantains and the Suya, which is beef grilled with African spices and served with bits of onion.

For Entrees, we decided to sample from both the Caribbean and African parts of the menu, so we tried the Jerk Chicken and the Steamed Yam with Corned beef stew. The Jerk chicken was absolutely delicious with the perfect amount of heat (which is a lot, if you want it to be authentic!) and the Steamed Yam with Corned Beef Stew was fantastic. The yam that is used in this dish is not the syrup drenched yam that most Americans associate with Thanksgiving but, rather, a tuber that is similar in taste and appearance to a Yukon Gold potato. The slight sweetness of the yam was perfectly tempered by the brininess of the corned beef stew. This is a dish that would be perfect in the winter but works well at any time of year!

I highly recommend this restaurant! Everything is prepared with a lot of care and it is obvious that the owners have put their hearts into this business. The menu may be a little intimidating but the very knowledgeable and friendly staff is willing to help make selections.

In addition to the restaurant, there is an African and Caribbean market in the building adjacent where one can buy the most delicious plantain chips I have ever had!

My wife and I truly enjoyed our visit to Talking Drums. Please support this business as Albuquerque can only get better as we embrace different cultures and experiences!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque
“Wonderful Nigerian Owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

A friend and I "did" lunch here; unfortunately we were the only cutomers. My beans and rice with an aromatic and tasty stew of tomatoes and spices was very good. I added four pieces of goat which were cooked to perfection and delicious. The suya appetizer received mixed reviews. A little dry, which I actually think it's supposed to be, for my taste. My passion fruit malt beverage was delicious. The waiter, and I assume the owner, was delightful and anxious to explain anything we had questions about. A varied and interesting menu and "way out there" for Albuquerque.

• Visited August 2012