“Clean, comfortable room at a fair price...” 4 of 5 stars

You added Monterey Non-Smokers Motel to your Saves list
Monterey Non-Smokers Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2402 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87104   |
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Albuquerque
“Clean, comfortable room at a fair price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you're used to staying at a Marriott or Hilton this may not be the place for you. But, if you're looking for clean, well-kept lodging along Route 66, this place is great. It's a motor court in the traditional manner where you pull up to your front door. The property was immaculate & even has a great pool! It's close to Old Town, restaurants & shopping. It ended up being one of our favorite stays on our trip.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I'm late in making this review. We stayed there last year mainly on the basis of other positive reviews of this motel.

I can't say enough good things about the place. The property was immaculate and the owner was meticulous in keeping it that way. He was doing touch-up painting while we were there. By making the property non-smoking, he eliminated cigarette butts and ashes being strewn about, but he also eliminated, how shall we say, a certain element (and I say this as a former smoker).

Our room was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy but just fine. I felt safe at the motel. We enjoyed the pool which was also very clean. This motel is a true bargain for anyone willing to mom and pop it.

The owner sent us to the Ranch Supermarket for supplies, which was a real experience for us. It's a big Mexican/Hispanic supermarket with all kinds of great stuff to try and a lot of visual stimulation! The Ranch was one of our favorite things in ABQ. We went back several times.

Room Tip: We requested to be in the back of the hotel by the pool, which keeps you away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Algona, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here one night. The gentleman at the front desk was friendly and efficient. He was very helpful in suggesting places to eat that were within walking distance also. The motel is an older motel and the decor is also from the past, but everything was spotless. It was fun having polka dot sheets! Even though the property is located on a very busy street, I did not notice much street noise during the night. This place is located within walking distance to the Old Town Plaza. My only complaint was that the pillows were kind of flat and hard. Very well kept property. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

When I first considered how I'd rate the motel, I ran through the room amenities and their quality, the ambiance, the grounds, the service, the noise level, everything, and I discovered that although there's a minor quibble here or there, none justified giving the motel less than an excellent rating.

1. My room had a coffeemaker and a fridge. I was very happy about the coffeemaker; I didn't miss a microwave - though maybe others would. (And maybe there's a microwave somewhere on the premises, accessible to guests; I don't know.)
2. The TV's remote worked efficiently and there were plenty of TV stations.
3. The free wifi is reliably available and fast.
4. A ceiling fan in the room, something I always like to see.
5. The room was not only spacious, it had plenty of surfaces for placing gear. Three chairs! A desk. A wooden bistro-style table. Two bedside tables. Various lighting choices.
6. Bathroom organized efficiently for work spaces (the coffeemaker is in the bathroom) and for towels and gear.
7. A token gift of cookies (from Poland) provided in room upon arrival.
8. A great little common room that housed the ice machine, a soda machine, and a large selection of paperbacks and magazines for (I assume) swapping.
9. Outdoor landscaping close to the buildings, with a European sensibility.
10. Assigned parking spaces.
11. For the most part, sound wasn't an issue in my room, though I occasionally heard traffic on the busy road that the motel fronts.
12. Good location - close to Old Town, very close to the Bio Park, close (but not too close) to I-25.
13. Very clean.
14. Not only is there a peephole in the door, it is at an appropriate height for most women! Too often, peepholes are placed at a height appropriate for the men (presumably) who install them.

The coffee wasn't too good in the room, but then I don't have any expectations about coffee quality in budget motels, and I'd brought my own anyway, so no issue for me.

There was a minor issue that I noticed in the room, and the reason it doesn't take away from the excellent rating is because the owner did exactly what an owner or manager should do when something's brought to his attention: Acknowledge the customer's feedback without defensiveness and indicate he'll look into it promptly.

This is an excellent motel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My group of ten stayed here last week. We had five rooms. I had stayed here 4 years ago and had had a great experience. I was not disappointed this time! The beds were very comfortable; the rooms exceptionally clean and large. Bathrooms were very clean and with very nice adjustable showerheads. The laundry room is excellent and conveniently located, as is the vending / ice room. Only a block or so down to Old Town and the wonderful Restaurant Antiquity. The pool was closed (It's a cold April). I wish they had a hot tub, it's the only improvement I can think of. The management is very polite and helpful! All-in-all about as perfect a motel as one could ask for. I'll be going back!!

Room Tip: I was in room #7 which seemed about perfect. Really I don't think there are any bad rooms here!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just stayed at the Monterey Non-Smokers Motel and it was a comfortable stay indeed. The room was large and impeccably clean. Loved the funky sheets. Located close to Old Town and restaurants plus the aquarium and gardens. Owners were friendly and helpful. Good value.

Room Tip: We had room # 6 with two queen beds. Room was quiet in that it was off busy Route 66 and beside the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

As usual, we enjoyed our stay at the motel. Quick & efficient check-in. Always love seeing Victor, the owners little dog. Clean, comfortable rooms at a fair price. Have been staying here for many years.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple