“'home' away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 145 hotels in Albuquerque
New York City, New York
“'home' away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Visiting from NYC to handle family matters, I stayed at Monterey for 2 weeks. My room was clean, quiet, comfortable, well-appointed, w. 2-block residential walk to Old Town. The owners, Henry and Bo, are friendly, efficient and helpful, making my difficult mission as pleasant as possible. They have become my friends. The old-fashioned convenience of my vehicle parked just outside my room was a landmark blessing. I'll take their hospitality and quarters over any chain or high-end establishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed twice in the last week during our Route 66 trip, once on the westbound trip and again eastbound on the way home.

This is not similar in any way to a chain motel. There are patterned sheets on the bed, a packet of cookies from the owners' homeland of Poland in the room. The decor is more like staying with family, as some other reviewers have mentioned.

When we called for reservations, it was made very clear (politely) that the motel and grounds are non-smoking. It is a shame that some people have a hard time with that, according to prior reviews. Seriously, it is on the sign, in neon. Don't come here if you smoke.

Back to the room: spotless. We had a queen bed, room 11, to the rear of the propety. It was quiet. Given that it was March, the pool was not open. It is a classic 1950s motel so you park at the door to your room. We had a refrigerator, coffee maker, iron, ironing board, a desk, and a table and chairs, and a ceiling fan. A hairdryer was in the drawer. TV reception was good. Internet was great going westbound but spotty going east, although we didn't mention the internet to the owner because it was late and we used my husband's phone as a hotspot.

On our westbound trip, we needed the heater, which was effective and efficient baseboard heating. On our eastbound trip, no heat was needed, but we opened the window and used the ceiling fan. There is a/c but we did not use it.

The bed was comfortable, more for me than my husband, with four pillows, sheets, and blanket. There was an additional blanket in the closet, that we did not need.

Toiletries were provided: shampoo, several bars of soap. There were plenty of bath and hand towels, and wash cloths. The shower pressure was rather magnificent, the best of our trip.

Upon arival, Henry, the owner, gave us a map to Old Town and recommended a place to eat. It was a perhaps seven minute walk to Old Town. Although I would say be cautious while walking along Central Ave (Business Route 66), I was not worried. I would not wear my diamond tiara in the neighborhood, but I felt fine just being aware of our surroundings. No one approached us, nor was there much foot trafic. There was plenty of vehicle traffic though, and the street was well-lit.

I would not hesitate to stay again or recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are away from the din of Central Avenue. Room 11 is very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We travel in the usa a lot this was a good motel very clean and the owners a smashing husband and wife team.The Old Town just a 5 mins walk away .We were their for the ballon fest and could not have picked a better place to stay. With Walgreens across the street whats not to like.Would go back tomorrow .darbsrv

Room Tip: Go to Trip Adviser the best tip
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This place is a bit old-school as the name might imply. It's clearly an older hotel, single story with parking spots right in front of each room. We actually really liked this because it was easy to get our luggage from the car. The whole place is impeccably clean and well maintained with cute little touches like a packet of cookies in the room. They have a laundry room for guests. We didn't get to enjoy the pool since it was fairly cold out but it looked nice.

The owner (or owners? We only spoke to the husband.) was exceptionally friendly and helpful. He had great recommendations for restaurants nearby.

It's right on Route 66. This makes it really easy to find but the street is quite busy, even late at night. If you're a light sleeper it might be an issue but I'd hardly say it was a deal-breaker. It was very easy to walk into Old Town for dinner, shopping or just to look around. Plus there's a Walgreens right across the street which can be super helpful when you forget the toothpaste.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Wonderful atmosphere, very much like staying at your Grandma's both in decor and hospitality without the curfew. It's an easy walk to Old Town. The proprieter has wonderful recommendations for restaurants. You are able to help yourself to the coffee packets so that you can brew it the way you want it. Very clean, wonderful scents in all the linens, spotless corners, etc. We enjoyed our spacious room very much plus it's a great value and so convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Alamos, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Their motto is "European Hospitality" and the Polish couple that own and run the motel have become friends of ours. Impeccably clean, comfortable, and quiet. Bo and Henry are very solicitous to their clients needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It may not be "new," but tht is part of the charm. It is an old style motel located on old Route 66.

You can walk to Old Town. You can park in front of your room. There's a clean laundry room on-site with iron and ironing board.

The owners/managers are on-site and willing to give advice and help with anything.

The room wa clean and I didn't have highway noise. The owners were updating some of the carpeting in some of the rooms when I was there.

Plenty of light and electrical outlets.

I liked this place so much I stayed an extra night. I was on a quick cross-country trip from CA to VA in late August-early September 2012. I called and was a bit suspicious because the price was so great. I liked the fact that they sort of asked me "qualifying" questions before taking my reservation for that same night. I looked at the room before agreeing to stay.

It was such as great location and so comfy that I decided to spend one more night and see more sights. It is conveniently located. I felt quite safe and had no worries.

This is a great value. If I ever go back, I will stay there.

Room Tip: I don't think there would be a "bad" room since this is a small motel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Monterey Non-Smokers Motel? Share your experiences!