“What can I say that hasn't been said?” 5 of 5 stars

Monterey Non-Smokers Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2402 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87104   |
Ranked #10 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
DFW
“What can I say that hasn't been said?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I usually stay at a chain property when I pass through ABQ, but it has been going downhill lately. I I can't remember how I stumbled across it, but I found these TripAdvisor reviews and decided to take a chance. By outward appearances I probably never would choose this motel. It's got that old "motor inn" look and is surrounded by mechanic shops. But the pictures showed an updated property with a friendly atmosphere so, something else I never do, I made a reservation (I'm usually a seat-of-my-pants traveller).

The owner was very nice, very helpful, with a good sense of humor. I was being inspected by his dachshund, and noted that the sign says "no pets." He said, "Ya, no pets, but she is not pet. She is boss." LOL!

On my return trip a few days later I had not made any reservations because my schedule was very fluid. I was in Gallup (2 hours away) when I called to ask if by chance he had a room for the night. I said I had stayed there on Tuesday. He said, "Yes, Miss [lastname]. We would be glad to have you back. I still have your information and I'll give you room 3 again since you are familiar." Now that's service! BTW, along with you assigned room you get an assigned parking spot right outside the door. Convenient!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Kingman, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This vintage property still retains a AAA rating which is ample evidnce of the owners passion for presenting the modern traveler with the best of the past and the present. As a bonus it is within walking distance of major attractions such as Old Town.
The neighborhood may seem a bit seedy but don't let that deter you from choosing this little gem for a restful nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here and look forward to staying here on our next trip thru Albq. The room and the entire property is very clean, very well maintained, and quiet. Linens were very nice, lots of good pillows. Each room has a designated parking space which ensures a spot by your room. It is within walking distance of Old Town, about 1/4 mile. Overall, a great value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012
Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped in the Monteray in Sep 2012, and was extremely impressed with the rooms size and style especially considering the cost of this motel. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, with everything you need. The rooms were very clean. I was surprised to read other people's reviews stating that the owner was rude. We found him to be very helpful and polite, he even recommended a restaurant that we could try for an evening meal - which we did and he was right it was fantastic. Great Motel, excellent value for money, excellent location - close to historic part of town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
3,175 helpful votes 3,175 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in September, but somehow my Tripadvisor review got "lost."

I am not sure what I said the first time but this was an incredible hotel located on historic route 66. It was within easy walking distance of Old Town Albuquerque.

As the name of the hotel implies, smoking is strictly prohibited (not an issue for me.) I was questioned about this when I checked in. I was also asked if I had a pet. When I said I did not - but wish I did because I missed mine - I was introduced to the very friendly, sweet, resident daschund, Victor.

Parking is free. There is a very clean heated swimming pool. The room has a coffee pot, microwave oven and a mini fridge. The owner was very friendly. The room was spotless. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back. I have no idea how he can charge so little for such a nice room in a terrific location. This would be my first choice should I return to Albuquerque. Highly recommmended.

Room Tip: Light sleepr?? Ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
VENUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive place to stay for the balloon fiesta, but did not want to stay in one of the many chain hotels. This place was recommended over in the Forum, and it was exactly what I was hoping for -- a place with a little Route 66 flavor at a price I could afford without feeling "gouged" because of the balloon fiesta.

Even though it was an older hotel, this place was gleaming. I don't know if I have ever stayed at a more spotless motel. And my room was HUGE! But the thing I loved the most was having my own assigned parking spot right outside my room. I always hate that feeling of driving in after an evening out, dreading finding the parking places filled. This was never an issue, with my own private space!

Bo, the woman of the couple who owns the hotel was so sweet and friendly! We had several really nice conversations. Her enthusiasm for the balloon fiesta was infectious! She offered several helpful suggestions.

The place is within walking distance of Old Town -- another plus. Cable TV, Ceiling fan. Fridge in the room. Strong wifi signal. I enjoyed my visit here very much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have so far stayed at this motel three times en route from Mexico City to Santa Fe. The female owner is extremely friendly and helpful. We also recommended this place to my parents (70) who were happy staying there as well before catching an early flight from Albuquerque International. There is nothing modern or fancy about the motel but it is inexpensive, extremely clean, safe, comfortable, with good beds, a nice pool and strong wifi. As we are only using Albuquerque as a stop-over the location is another great advantage as it is 5 minutes from Freeway 40 and less than 10 from Freeway 25 (to Santa Fe or airport). The Old Town is basically just across the street. We highly recommend it and will certainly be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Non-Smokers Motel? Share your experiences!