“A bit Dated but not bad overall.....” 3 of 5 stars

Barcelona Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 (Uptown)   |
Ranked #61 of 146 hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A bit Dated but not bad overall.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel has been around for a while. As a native Albuqerquean, I have stayed here throughout the years. This particular stay would nice overall. The room was very clean! Although the decor is VERY dated......more outdated than not, the room was a good buy for the price. This hotel is great for the family as each suite has two rooms and a kitchenette area. The linens and towels were clean and nicely set with shampoo provided and decent body soap. There were large groups staying for conventions and gatherings but there was not excessive noise. The pool area was a bit below standard as there were no towels available and no indicators as to where they might be. The hot tub was a bit lacking as it didnt seem to be functioning properly. This was not an added benefit to our stay-cation as we specifically wanted a nice indoor pool and hot tub area. The grounds around the hotel were dirty with piles of garbage. The front desk staff was very professional and helpful. All this hotel needs is a mini make-over to bring it into this era. Overall a good value!

Room Tip: Would be good for a large family reunion or reception......nice atrium area with large rooms for out...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Deidre H,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. We are working on upgrading our rooms and have completed renovation of our furniture in our back "plaza". We have also received the part in and have corrected the problem that we were having with our hot tub. We have taken your comments seriously and have already started on this "mini-makeover", as you mentioned.

We hope to see you again soon so you can enjoy these improvements.

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Traveling from AZ to KS is a long road trip for us. We have stayed in Albuquerque many times, at a number of different places. But we have finally found the place we will stay from now on when driving through. The Barcelona Suites had a special offer we took advantage of after looking up this property on Trip Advisor. The reviews convinced me to give them my business this time, and I am now definitely a fan. Our party of four was treated beautifully by all the staff. Our room was quiet, and the beds were very comfortable. We had not made prior arrangements to take advantage of the free shuttle to the Balloon Fiesta, so the desk gave us driving directions to take us into the Fiesta the back way. This turned out to be a wonderful way to avoid the heavy traffic and make it to the glow event.

The toddler in our party woke us up a 3 a.m., so we decided to get an early start Saturday morning. The desk staff made sure that we each took a breakfast bag with us, since we were missing the hot breakfast which was part of our stay. On our return to AZ, we stayed at Barcelona Suites once more, and this time we had the opportunity to use the heated swimming pool and the jacuzzi before supper. The water in the pool was 80 degrees and very clean. But the jacuzzi was exactly what we used the most, with very hot water to soothe our backs after a full day of driving. We will definitely stay at the Barcelona Suites again, and it is very clear why this property has earned the 2013 Trip Advisor Award of Excellence.

Dear AZuhl2,

Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. We remember you and are vey pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your very kind comments to our entire staff at our next staff members.

We hope to see you again soon,

Elko, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The front desk staff at Barcelona Suites was extremely helpful for first time visitors to Albuquerque and Balloon Fiesta. They were kind enough to get me into my room early and had answers to most of our questions. The hot breakfast was good and staff efficient. The cocktail hour is in the same room, which is huge, and it was a little spooky because it was so dark. The rooms are big, but you can see the age. Rooms were clean, but chips, funky calking, living room couch made it dated. Towels could be replaced. It had a kitchenette, but no utensils or pots, etc, microwave and hot plate was from stone age. The drawers fell out when you tried to open them. There would be no "cooking" in this suite. The coffee pot had been replaced and did not drain coffee into carafe - which confused me the first time. Beware - this is not a handicap friendly hotel (although the staff offered to help). There are some sort of stairs (three to four) to the rooms. There is an elevator, but I still had 4 stairs to get to my hallway. Lobby is beautiful and we did spend time there planning activities. Housekeeping staff was also very friendly. Can not compliment the staff enough - they made the stay there worthwhile.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 1954 Harvey,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. I will pass on your kind comments about our staff to them at our next staff meeting. We are working on renovating our rooms. We do have 4 set of stairs, as you mentioned but we do have an elevator to take you from floor to floor. We hope that you will stay with us again soon so you can experience our newly renovated rooms.

Pratt, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed for the Balloon Fiesta with my family. The rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was also very friendly. I enjoyed the evening bar and the bartender was great! Would definitely stay here again next year.

Dear Dale G,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. I will pass on your kinds comments to our staff members. We hope to see you again in the future.

Bovina, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked my reservation online. Once I arrived at the hotel I was given a king suite when I booked two doubles since out party included two adults and two small children (ages two and three). When I requested be moved that I booked I was told that they do not guarantee online bookings. The non-smoking room smelled strongly of smoke. The room was dirty and in need of repairs. The knob for the hot water to the bathtub was broke and had to be repaired. The room that I was assigned to was located outside and down several stairs which means that the luggage cart can't go there. So, I had to make several trips with two small children outside and inside to get all of out things to the room and again to get them all back to the car. When the children wanted to go swimming they had to go outdoors in the cold with their wet swimsuits. It was a horrible experience! Oh, and the pull out sofa sleeper that I had to sleep on since there was only one bed was old, uncomfortable, and dirty.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
Dear Leslie W,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review about our hotel. We do apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. As you booked through an online site, the rooms they assign are not for a specific room type but for any room in the hotel. We do try to honor guests requests as much as possible. We do have stairs on one side of the building, but our staff members will be glad to help you at any time with your luggage. I'm not sure about why your children had to go out doors to go swimming, but we do have any indoor heated pool.
I would like to speak to you more about this in person if you could please contact me at 505-255-5566.

Dayton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

First of all, the staff was AWESOME! Every single one with whom we had contact. I would give the staff 5 stars, It was Balloon Fiesta final weekend. Shuttles to the park and ride, "grab and go" breakfast for those who were headed out the door before breakfast started and a genuine interest in making our stay comfortable. Breakfast staff was speedy and helpful. Front desk staff was also helpful with some great suggestions for navigating any AIBF madness (we were 1st timers). The rooms were clean and large. Underground, access required parking felt secure. EASY to get to highway and Uptown ABQ where there was a lot to do and restaurants galore. Overall a very nice stay but subtle things presented themselves. Like a bathroom ceiling that had been repaired but not thoroughly patched, and cords (phone? electrical?) that had been "re-wired" and ran along the wall/floor interface and around door frames. A fluorescent bathroom fixture with only one bulb and exposed wires seen through the cover grate.(capped and appeared a non-hazard, but unsightly and it does make you wonder about what you aren't seeing) Towels were obviously old and worn out. Shower temperature varied considerably throughout your time under it....now THAT will wake you up!!! Tenants walking in the room above made the windows literally rattle. Seems like a dated, tired property that has some maintenance needs that are just being "patched" as opposed to thoughtfully fixed. Had what appear to be new counter-tops on sinks and in kitchenette on top of old, original bases.

Did I mention......It was clean. Very convenient. Staff/Customer Service was GREAT! I would consider staying again, the other person in the party likely will not. The Average rating is related to the property issues.

Dear FranklinCM,

Thank your for taking the time to complete a review about our hotel. Also thank you for your kind comments about our staff members. We are working on those subtle things that you mentioned in your review by renovating the rooms. We also are trying to resolve the issue about the shower temperature. We hope you will stay with us again so you can enjoy these new improvements that we are making to the rooms.

Fruitland, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Seeing the pictures online I thought the place would be a nice place to stay. I was wrong!! Upon check in I was told I'm sorry we don't have your two queen beds but have a full size with a sleeper. I said fine since other places were booked. We got a discount so I didn't complain. Everything seemed fine until we went down to the pool. It was so murky and dark that I couldn't find my goggles at the bottom of the pool. The jacuzzi was not working properly. Once we got back to the room it took me about 15 minutes to get the water in the shower to the right temperature. And once my kids got in the temp. changed from ice cold to scalding hot!! When we unfolded the sleeper sofa we found dirty sheets. After an uncomfortable night on a rock hard bed we packed up early. The road noise is so loud you can hear everything driving by. Check out took nearly 15 minutes so I grabbed a couple to go breakfast bags which I found a joke!! A half bottle of water and an apple.

• Stayed October 2013
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear DCDkr,

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel. I apologize that the stay was not up to your expectations. We do service the pool in the morning and apologize that it was murky upon your stay. We also do provide quieter rooms away from the main road. I would like to speak to you in person if you could please contact me at 505-255-5566 so we can discuss this further and see how we can make this right for you.

Malini Perumal

Been to Barcelona Suites? Share your experiences!