“below expectations!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Fruitland, New Mexico
“below expectations!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Seeing the pictures online I thought the place would be a nice place to stay. I was wrong!! Upon check in I was told I'm sorry we don't have your two queen beds but have a full size with a sleeper. I said fine since other places were booked. We got a discount so I didn't complain. Everything seemed fine until we went down to the pool. It was so murky and dark that I couldn't find my goggles at the bottom of the pool. The jacuzzi was not working properly. Once we got back to the room it took me about 15 minutes to get the water in the shower to the right temperature. And once my kids got in the temp. changed from ice cold to scalding hot!! When we unfolded the sleeper sofa we found dirty sheets. After an uncomfortable night on a rock hard bed we packed up early. The road noise is so loud you can hear everything driving by. Check out took nearly 15 minutes so I grabbed a couple to go breakfast bags which I found a joke!! A half bottle of water and an apple.

• Stayed October 2013
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear DCDkr,

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel. I apologize that the stay was not up to your expectations. We do service the pool in the morning and apologize that it was murky upon your stay. We also do provide quieter rooms away from the main road. I would like to speak to you in person if you could please contact me at 505-255-5566 so we can discuss this further and see how we can make this right for you.

Malini Perumal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a great hotel; clean & comfortable with wonderful ambiance. The hospitable staff is a great enhancement for the stay. The building is beautiful. And the price was great. I would love to say that this hotel is perfect, but if you are a bit old and even only somewhat handicapped, be aware that there are many stairs that have to be negotiated depending on what area your room is located. Bottom line...stay there, but inform the reservation representative if you need a room requiring no stairs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pollyvw,

Thank you for you recent stay at the Barcelona Suites. We would like to thank you for taking the time out to post a review about our hotel. Your comments are very kind and we will definitely past that on to the rest of the staff members. We are in the middle of renovating the rooms so we hope you will stay with us again soon so you can enjoy those improvements.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It truly amazes me that there are comments in such critical details about this hotel. My family and I stay here every few months just to use the pool... get away and relax. I travel alot from Albuquerque to Kentucky so I know standards and I know this hotel has them. ISSUES yes but only minor (no difference than any other hotel) We have stayed in several other hotels in Albuquerque hoping to find our experience worth while but have failed. The customer service, price, breakfast and the style of this hotel makes this the best for our family. Stairs, yes they have them. Do you have to carry your luggage up or down three or four steps yes but if you can't the staff will help you. Great hotel the best in Albuquerque. We will continue being regulars..

Room Tip: Non smoking king inside or out. On weekends the outside is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Tasha P,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel. We truly appreciate your kind comments and will share them with our entire staff. We our glad that you are a regular of our hotel and we will definitely see you soon.

El Cerrito, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Some friends from Phoenix suggested Barcelona Suites and we were going to the Balloon Festival for an extended weekend. There was some confusion and the desk and I should have know that there would be problems. My friend and I wanted to watch the season opener of Scandal only to find out that they have ABC Disney, not the regular ABC, then on Sunday we wanted to watch 60 minutes but they didn't have access to that channel. The towels were extremely thin, you could blow right thru and feel your breath on the other side. Tiles outside the rooms were broken; poor access from elevators to rooms which were located in a hallway outside, only to find there were steps (what happened to handicap accessibility); no fitness room, but was told there was a sauna. The sauna never got hot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pamela W,

Thank you for you review about the Barcelona Suites. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. We apologize that the channel that you were trying to watch was not available. It was a problem with the local TV station and cabling and we have corrected that problem. We also did purchase all new towels for Balloon Fiesta, we apologize that your room did not have one of those.
I would like to speak to you in person about the rest of your stay. Please contact me at 505-255-5566.

Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Like others we stayed during the recent beginning of the 2013 Balloon Fiesta. The staff went over board trying to help in any way possible. Large remodeled rooms are a bonus, just wish the living room had an extra floor lamp for reading. Breakfast in the mornings were hot and tasty. Going outside to access your room is a minor pain as are the steps up & down. Overall though, we had an excellent stay at this facility.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 19Thomas46,

Thank you for you recent view about our hotel. We are truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will definitely convey your kind comments to the entire staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Portales, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Well my family comes here every year for the state fair, there is no better location for our kind of needs; that being said, almost every year we've been there, a wedding or some other sort of festivity has been held there. The noise late at night from these parties can keep just about anyone around from sleeping, then on top of that, they open up the underground parking to whoever is coming so when we, the paying customers come in to the hotel there is absolutely no parking spaces available underground, and parking on the street is just about impossible, so the staff is definitely putting their paying customers at the bottom of the chain here. We use it for it's location, and that's it. Terrible hospitality. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone! Especially when they advertise in the hotel they want us to give them five stars on here. Sorry but, no.

• Stayed September 2013
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Nedlehs,

Thank you for your recent review about our hotel. We apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. We do have a social events in our open atrium area but we do ensure there is security and also we do ask the event to control their noise levels. We also do have limited parking and we will be taking your comments seriously and will be enforcing measures so that the guests do get the preferred parking, our guests are our number one priority. I would like to speak to you in person about this, please contact me at 505-255-5566. Thank you,

Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My siblings and I stayed at the Barcelona Suites arranged for us by the focal point for our uncle's 88th birthday celebration and family reunion. It was the first week of Balloon Festival so the timing and weather were perfect! The staff at Barcelona was quite friendly and helpful for our every needs including helping us print out Balloon Festival / Bus passes in their business center. The hotel offered free shuttle service to Coronado mall for the festival and the driver was very friendly and informative. The hotel itself is old and dated but the service and "made to order" breakfasts each morning made up for it. Definitely not an Embassy Suites but the rooms themselves were sufficient and quite spacious. Overall, I would recommend the Barcelona for a budget stay with the benefits of a large suite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
newmexicot123, General Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Round Rock Traveler,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We enjoyed having your family reunion stay with us ! We glad you enjoyed the free shuttle service that we offered this year. We are continuing to make improvements to the hotel and we hope to see you all again.

Malini Perumal

Been to Barcelona Suites? Share your experiences!