“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Barcelona Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 (Uptown)   |
Ranked #65 of 146 hotels in Albuquerque
texas
“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Andrew at the front desk was warm and gracious! The hotel interior and rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. The room itself was quite comfortable and very quiet. The breakfast was delicious, the coffee was some of the best I have experienced while staying at a hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Shelbee-

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We will pass on your kind comments to the rest of our staff members.

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband was traveling to Albuquerque on business, and I had time off so I went along. He stayed at Barcelona Suites on his last trip and was really impressed, and after some initial skepticism I was too. We stayed in a room with a queen bed which had a vanity sink/mirror, as well as a medium-sized bathroom and a living room/kitchenette area. Both the living room and the bedroom had CRT tvs. We stayed for 5 nights..

Pros: For the price, especially offered through sites like expedia and priceline, the large room and service were exceptional. Everyone at the front desk was always very nice and accommodating, and in particular the breakfast chef was wonderful. I'm not a huge breakfast person, but his bacon, eggs (cooked to order), and hashbrowns were delicious. I actually ran the front desk out of dollar bills asking for change every morning so that I could leave him tips (there are tip jars on the counter, please show your appreciation!) It was such a great start to the morning to sit in the huge atrium and watch the tvs or the fountain.

The maid staff was also great; when I accidentally left the "do not disturb" sign on the doorknob one day they left fresh towels in a plastic bag outside the door.

Lastly, the architecture was beautiful; I'm not sure what the history of this building is or who they're owned by now, but it must have been maintained very well to still have the 'wow' factor when you first walk in.

Cons: The garage was difficult to navigate for our large rental car, but it was nice to have covered parking. In the kitchen area there was a microwave and a nice counter, but no sink! That I found a little odd, but is probably just a legacy of the plumbing construction which wasn't thought through completely. Also, the windows in the bedroom had a 'view' of the outdoor swimming pool which was a little grody-looking after falling into disuse during the winter months. (The indoor pool/hottub area looked nice however, but we didn't use it.)

tl;dr : For the price point, this hotel exceeds expectations. The staff goes out of their way to be friendly and help you out, and the building and rooms are clean and well-maintained. If you want a nice room with great service at a moderate cost in beautiful Albuquerque, make your reservation here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JessicaLH

Thank you for you comments about our hotel. We will definitely pass on your kind comments about our hotel to the other staff members. We actually are now installing 20 sinks in our rooms as many guests are requesting them as you did. We also have a daily checklist in place to make sure the outdoor pool is being maintained.

Alamogordo, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is beautiful with lots of plants and fountains. The rooms are spacious - 2 rooms (living room w/ a pull out couch, TV, desk, and a small kitchenette w/ microwave, refrigerator, and drawer/counter space PLUS a bedroom w/ 2 queen beds, tv, sink....LOTS of room). The indoor heated pool and hot tub are clean and the kids really enjoyed it. The free breakfast isn't your typical hotel fare - you can have eggs, hashbrowns, sausage/bacon cooked to order or choose cereal, toast, waffles, bagels (the usual). free Underground parking - hotel is located near lots of shopping and restaurants.

My only complaint - the bed wasn't very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for you kind comments about our hotel. We have definitely passed it on to our staff members. They are working hard every day to keep up top notch customer service. We hope to see you again in the future.

Malin Perumal
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

From the outside this hotel did not look any different, but when you walkin it is such a beautiful hotel. The stained glass ceiling, the plants in the large breakfast area were wonderful. The staff were excellent and were able to give us directions and point us in the right direction for shopping and dining. The underground parking garage was great and easy for parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the east side of the hotel you can get a great view of the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. The underground parking is definitely a plus as it is secured and accessed only by keycard. Not many hotels offer this kind of protection for your vehicle.

We have passed on your comments to our staff members.

Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Barcelona Suites several years ago on a business trip and had a bad experience which kept me away until this year when I was offered a very good group rate offered to artists who were exhibiting at the Weems Art Festival in town. I was hesitant at first because of my previous bad experience (which admittedly had more to do with a psychotic guest in the room above me than it did with the hotel), but decided to give it another chance, and boy am I glad that I did. My room was actually a small suite in the Plaza Azul section (I highly recommend this and any of the other "outdoor plazas" that extend beyond the main part of the hotel...much more quiet). My suite had two sinks - one a vanity in the bedroom and the other in the bathroom; a kitchen with small fridge and microwave; a livingroom with television (large t.v. in the livingroom and smaller in the bedroom for those who appreciate t.v. accessability), a desk & chair, and a couch (which apparently also makes out into a second bed). The free wifi was flawless, strong and easily accessed; temperature control in the room was easy to adjust and responsive; the shower was strong (although one had to let the water run for awhile to get it up to hot enough); the parking garage is secure (although for liability reasons they have signs warning you to take in your valuables) and it's very easy to get from there to the front desk or your room. The staff of this hotel is professional and accomodating from the front desk to the maid service - all excellent. The look of the hotel is shabby chic, which I happen to like a lot. The floors throughout the main part of the hotel are old, old satillo type tiles. There is a huge high ceiling great room/atrium with a fountain which also serves as a dining area. The free breakfast each morning includes a chef who will cook your eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns to order. What's not to like? I was on a business trip and didn't have time to explore any other amenities athough I think there is a pool/hot tub somewhere as well. The location is close to the state fairgrounds, which was perfect for my trip needs.

Room Tip: I'd suggest one of the 'Plaza' wings, and ask for one of the small suite-type rooms if y...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the fact that you took the time to try our hotel again. We have had a change in management and also have undergone some renovation. We love the Weems art festival and are happy to be the closest hotel to it. We have passed on your kind comments to our staff members.

Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here during the balloon fiesta and the hotel was pretty but lacking a little luster from her early days. I think she could use a bit of TLC and bring her back to her once grand state. The room itself was nice, plenty of space but when I went to go to sleep that was another story, it was so noisy I hardly slept a wink. The walls are thin so I could hear the neighbors talking, I could hear every flush and shower turn on, then when the room above me came in, it sounded like a herd of elephants above me-terrible for sleeping! They did have a good system set up for the Balloon Fiesta but bring some earplugs!

Room Tip: Get the Top Floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our son stayed at the Barcelona Suites for several months in 2012 while he was working temporarily in Albuquerque. They offered him a very reasonable rate, with a daily hot breakfast included. My son really liked living there, especially the staff and management. He said they were always pleasant and helpful. He felt safe and secure living there. While he was there, we visited him a couple of times and stayed at the hotel ourselves. We noticed the same thing about the staff and management. They seem eager to please. Although the hotel is older, the staff does a good job of maintaining it. It is clean and spacious. The suites themselves are large with plenty of room. The furniture is older but in good shape. There is an indoor pool and spa, but no workout room. The hot breakfast is adequate and served daily with a smile. One plus is the underground parking, which is great during the hot summer. If you are looking for a modern fancy resort with nightlife, this probably won't be your cup of tea. But if you are looking for a quiet, older charming hotel, this might fit the bill. The lobby itself is worth a look. All in all, I feel the Barcelona Suites is a very good value for your money. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelona Suites? Share your experiences!