“Was definitely worth a second look” 5 of 5 stars

Barcelona Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110   |
Ranked #70 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Salida, Colorado
“Was definitely worth a second look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Barcelona Suites several years ago on a business trip and had a bad experience which kept me away until this year when I was offered a very good group rate offered to artists who were exhibiting at the Weems Art Festival in town. I was hesitant at first because of my previous bad experience (which admittedly had more to do with a psychotic guest in the room above me than it did with the hotel), but decided to give it another chance, and boy am I glad that I did. My room was actually a small suite in the Plaza Azul section (I highly recommend this and any of the other "outdoor plazas" that extend beyond the main part of the hotel...much more quiet). My suite had two sinks - one a vanity in the bedroom and the other in the bathroom; a kitchen with small fridge and microwave; a livingroom with television (large t.v. in the livingroom and smaller in the bedroom for those who appreciate t.v. accessability), a desk & chair, and a couch (which apparently also makes out into a second bed). The free wifi was flawless, strong and easily accessed; temperature control in the room was easy to adjust and responsive; the shower was strong (although one had to let the water run for awhile to get it up to hot enough); the parking garage is secure (although for liability reasons they have signs warning you to take in your valuables) and it's very easy to get from there to the front desk or your room. The staff of this hotel is professional and accomodating from the front desk to the maid service - all excellent. The look of the hotel is shabby chic, which I happen to like a lot. The floors throughout the main part of the hotel are old, old satillo type tiles. There is a huge high ceiling great room/atrium with a fountain which also serves as a dining area. The free breakfast each morning includes a chef who will cook your eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns to order. What's not to like? I was on a business trip and didn't have time to explore any other amenities athough I think there is a pool/hot tub somewhere as well. The location is close to the state fairgrounds, which was perfect for my trip needs.

Room Tip: I'd suggest one of the 'Plaza' wings, and ask for one of the small suite-type rooms if y...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
newmexicot123, Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We appreciate the fact that you took the time to try our hotel again. We have had a change in management and also have undergone some renovation. We love the Weems art festival and are happy to be the closest hotel to it. We have passed on your kind comments to our staff members.

Malini Perumal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here during the balloon fiesta and the hotel was pretty but lacking a little luster from her early days. I think she could use a bit of TLC and bring her back to her once grand state. The room itself was nice, plenty of space but when I went to go to sleep that was another story, it was so noisy I hardly slept a wink. The walls are thin so I could hear the neighbors talking, I could hear every flush and shower turn on, then when the room above me came in, it sounded like a herd of elephants above me-terrible for sleeping! They did have a good system set up for the Balloon Fiesta but bring some earplugs!

Room Tip: Get the Top Floor
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our son stayed at the Barcelona Suites for several months in 2012 while he was working temporarily in Albuquerque. They offered him a very reasonable rate, with a daily hot breakfast included. My son really liked living there, especially the staff and management. He said they were always pleasant and helpful. He felt safe and secure living there. While he was there, we visited him a couple of times and stayed at the hotel ourselves. We noticed the same thing about the staff and management. They seem eager to please. Although the hotel is older, the staff does a good job of maintaining it. It is clean and spacious. The suites themselves are large with plenty of room. The furniture is older but in good shape. There is an indoor pool and spa, but no workout room. The hot breakfast is adequate and served daily with a smile. One plus is the underground parking, which is great during the hot summer. If you are looking for a modern fancy resort with nightlife, this probably won't be your cup of tea. But if you are looking for a quiet, older charming hotel, this might fit the bill. The lobby itself is worth a look. All in all, I feel the Barcelona Suites is a very good value for your money. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Daleville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 days at the height of the International Balloon Fiesta. Our suite was at the far end of the hotel requiring a luggage carrier trip up the elevator, to another stair case, unloading the luggage carrier, carrying the luggage down the stairs reloading on another luggage carrier in order to get ot our room. Getting to your room should not be an African Safari.

The alcove to our suite was filled with trash and dirt, the screen to the living room window had been kicked out, the counter top in refrigerator area was sticky and crusted with dirt. Breakfasts were served in a huge cavernous dining/bar area that stayed in perpetual gloom and was cold -- which meant whatever you ordered to eat, it was going to be stone cold by the time you sat down to eat it.

On the flip side, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The free underground parking is a real plus. The lady who ran the shuttle was professonal and always prompt. It seemed to be a hotel in contradictions. They want your trade but the amenities have serious flaws. Maintenance is a chronic issue with signs of disrepair everywhere.

Room Tip: Choose a room either on ground floor or one that has direct access to the elevator.
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I really liked this place. Lots of tile, definately older, but kept up. We had the jacuzzi tub suite with a fireplace in the separate tub room. Everything was great. Loved the hot tub with the indoor pool. Our suite had the microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and a sink. We all enjoyed the breakfasts that were served. The underground parking was a definate plus. Hotel is pet friendly. No grass for the dog, but not a problem for mine. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for a week during the Balloon Fiesta. Unless you are coming for that, visit Albuquerque during another time- everything is three times the price!!! That said, we had a fabulous week. Everyone at the hotel was wonderful and helpful. We had a light out in front of our room ( which was in a little alley like hallway and if I had been traveling solo, I would have changed my room. ) They fixed the light ( it was more than a bulb change) immediately. My 85 year old mom needed a shower chair because there was only one bar outside the shower wall. The housekeeper brought it promptly and with a big smile. The breakfast was great! The early morning chefs were always smiling. During the week, when it was not so crowded, we got my mom into the pool for her exercises. The parking garage ( gated) was a huge benefit as well.
The only things keeping it from 5 stars:
-The towels were threadbare- did not really fit with how good everything else was.
-Not having the sink in the 'kitchen' area was a bit awkward. I don't really like washing dishes where people are washing up:)
- I was surprised, knowing that my mom was traveling with us and uses a walker, that the room we were put in required a short flight of stairs even to get to the elevator. So every time we went out and came back, she had to do the stairs. She is very spry and if not for this, would have been happy to stay behind and rest if we wanted to go out and do something else. The room was kind of like a dungeon. (# 176) It was behind and down a little from the great open room where the breakfast was served. The night before I had to leave ( had to get up at 4:30am) there was a singer in that space who sang until at least 11. That was a bit rough...
Overall, though, it was great- very convenient. There is a Trader Joe's not too far away
( within walking distance). We noted that many balloonists stayed here which is a good sign!
I would stay here again, I'd just request a different room!

Bray, Oklahoma, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The elevator to a stairway was difficult for my back. The lack of attention of the shuttle driver making me walk 2 miles was difficult for my back and pinched nerve in my leg. The bedroom sitting feet from a busy roadway made my sleep difficult. The breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side did not seem to have the stairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
newmexicot123, General Manager at Barcelona Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for you review. We are sorry that you felt that the walking was a little to much for you. Next time, you can request a room a little closer to the elevators and you may find the walking to be a little bit better for you. I am glad you enjoyed the free hot breakfast. Thank you for your stay.

Malini Perumal

Been to Barcelona Suites? Share your experiences!