“Bad experience from beginning to end” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Albuquerque - Midtown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1701 University Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102   |
Ranked #105 of 145 hotels in Albuquerque
Santa Cruz
“Bad experience from beginning to end”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Anyone booking with Motel 6 books for a reason: it's supposed to be easy, cheap, relatively clean, and reasonably safe.

This place does not fit the bill. The first sign that it's a dive would be the clerk being encased in one of those bulletproof spaces you find in bad convenience stores. On the wall in the check-in area a notice is posted that the motel freely shares the identities of occupants with the Albuquerque PD. When checking in, you're forced to sign an agreement that if you engage in criminal activity you can be evicted without refund. In years of staying in budget motels, that was a first.

Despite making an online reservation with Motel 6 and showing the clerk the confirmation e-mail, he could not find the reservation. Turns out the reservations had all been faxed to the motel due to a previous power outage, something this clerk was not aware of. He had me fill out a piece of paper to book the room. When calling the motel later to make sure I was not charged for the guaranteed reservation that the Motel couldn't find, I was promised a call from the manager. The manager never bothered to call.

Things didn't get better when I got to the room. The door was jammed due to a loose strike plate and had to be rammed with a shoulder to open. The clerk, encased in the aforementioned bulletproof enclosure, could only offer a different room (not a great option when your stuff is already in the room with the jammed door). He was obviously unable to leave his enclosure so help with the door was out of the question. The bedspread had cigarette burns that had been "patched" by sewing in pieces of other bedspreads. Various unidentifiable black spots were present on the bedspreads and scuff marks covered the sides of the beds. Pillows from both beds had long black human head hairs on them. Who knows how long it'd been since they were last changed. I slept on a sleeping bag on top of the bed.

The area did not appear particularly safe but it was relatively quiet. Until 1:00am anyway, when my "neighbors" arrived back at their room, talked loudly for half an hour, and then engaged in "intimate relations" for a while. I don't really care if consenting adults want to do this at a cheap motel but it also shouldn't sound like they're in the room with me. The walls between the rooms transmitted everything and the door joining the rooms apparently fit very loosely. Turning on the old TV didn't really help.

The shower was average for a Motel 6 and the toilet did not appear especially unclean. The sink was actually fairly recent. No hand soap was provided; just a bar of bath soap. The towels appeared clean.

Checkout was the only positive experience I remember at this place.

Never again.

Room Tip: As mentioned elsewhere, there really are no "better" rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Topock, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive one night stay while waiting for Mom to be discharged from the Presbytarian hospital. This motel fit the bill.

The graciously accomodated my request for a first floor room. Room was clean and ready when we got there.

Although trying to sleep while a volleyball team washed uniforms until the wee hours was difficult, I can't fault the motel for that.

I would encourage anyone looking for a quiet night to ask for an outside ground floor or an upstairs room.

I love being able to take my pet with us and Motel 6 gets my vote every time. They always welcome a pet without an additional "fee."

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the laundry room, it was busy all night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Northridge, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This motel six was so so check in was ok they had already charged our room to the card (not a hold but actually charged) even though we weren’t late which is unusual but we had reserved it so ok whatever. The place was not to busy for a Sat night but they put everyone in the front rooms near the office which made it a pretty noisy stay I would have tried to spread it out a bit more like most the motel I stay at when traveling with my dog. It was clean and the bed wasn’t hard so it’s your call. I probably wouldn’t come back much to loud

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located right off the expressway. This made it easy to find with google maps. The price was great just under $50 a night including Internet. The staff was really welcoming when I arrived and helpful. My room was clean. My room was updated and fresh. My room smelled refreshing. There are plenty of towels and hot water. The ice machine is easy to get to. There is a very nice pool and a clean laundry room with pay-to-wash machines. All very convenient. No traffic noise. One of the best nights sleep I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2013
Breckenridge, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I found the new flooring much nicer than the worn industrial carpet found in comparably priced motels in the central ABQ area. Traffic noise can be a little distracting, but all the lodging in this area has that. Very clean with nice staff. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Socorro, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was small. If single youre ok..otherwise more than 1 person id go elsewhere. Constantly adjusting the shower temperture..if you think you have it where you want it..wait a few minutes it will change. Bed was hard, no carpet, no bathtub, microwave, coffee maker or even a bottle of shampoo. I stayed on the lower floor, so I was able to hear everyone drag their luggage up and down the top floor. The rooms are well insulated nor do they give you enough blankets to keep you warm. I brought my own for cases like this. The office staff during the day was nice but the night personal terrible. I needed the key to my room re-keyed 3x's during my 4 day stay. They blamed this on my cell phone. I thought the first time ok..but the second and third I didnt have my phone on me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The service is great here, the rooms are nice and the coffee is pretty good. The rooms were nice with the laminate floors. It is clean and comfortable. The pool is nice. We enjoyed our night here and would stay again when in the area. You have to pay for internet and they do not serve breakfast but with the low rates you can splurge for the internet and breakfast near by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 Albuquerque - Midtown? Share your experiences!