“Smelled but the front lady was nice.” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #118 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersBronze level
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“Smelled but the front lady was nice.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My room smelled like some dog pee'd all over the place. We came to Albuquerque for one night and only needed the place to sleep so I guess you get what you paid for applies here. If you're looking for a place with a spa, fitness center, legit breakfast than look elsewhere.

Also it annoys me that none of the cleaning ladies speak English. So it's hard to communicate what I want without using gestures and having me do interpretive dance to get what I want.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a place to crash for one night then this is your room. If you're look...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our hotel. I assure you that your concerns will we addressed appropriately and I hope that you can give us another chance in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Harker Heights, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The room smelled like a moldy ash tray and cleanliness was negligible. The rollaway bed we requested didn't really fit in the room, and the "breakfast" was skimpy. The only nice thing was the gentleman who checked us in in the middle of the night....he was friendly and clean cut.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I made a mistake and made a reservation at the Econo Lodge Downtown instead of the Econo Lodge Old Town where I wanted to stay. They're both on Central Avenue and I assumed they were they same hotel. It was a mistake I dearly paid for - in particular as I didn't realize it until I was out on the hot New Mexican summer trying to walk to the old town (fortunately, once I realized my mistake I also found out that there are buses that run up and down Central Ave. for just $1 per adult, kids are free!).

The hotel itself was just as disappointing as its location. The room was clean but extremely cramped. There was barely enough room for the two full-size beds (not queens), so there was no hope to sit at the small table without climbing onto the bid first.

Though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, it smelled like smoke. The beds were extremely hard, and the pillows not much better. On the plus side, the shower had good water pressure and my kids enjoyed the pool, which stayed open until 9 PM.

Breakfast was almost non-existent. Bad coffee, machine OJ, a couple of dried danishes cut in half, some dry cereal and sliced bread. It might not have been that bad if the reviews for the breakfast at the /other/ Econo Lodge had not been so positive.

Oh well, live and learn to check the address better next time.

Room Tip: Make sure this is the actual Econo Lodge you want to stay at Inspect the room first, to make sure i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with my staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been frequent guest at the Econo Lodge since 2010.
The staff are not only knowledgeable about ABQ and NM, but they are gracious and genuinely interested in providing guests a comfortable and safe stay. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your business. We look forward to seeing you again!!!!
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is it is typically much better than everything around it. It is above the very cheap hotels surrounding it and is priced so that most of the criminal element won't pay for it. Otherwise, the service is between good and horrible at the front desk, depending on who you get. The rooms are below average and run down. They also do ask you to pay upfront, which is weird and what you get for cheaper hotels. Would not recommend this for tourists; not in a great part of town.

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay is all I can say.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kelly J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

the breakfast in the morning sucks. You have the option of one kind of bread (presumably for toast?), milk, and two kinds of cereal. I've eaten a better bfast at a super 8, and that's saying something. There's no restroom in the lobby.

The front desk worker bobby is a chatty-cathy. He talks too much. But he's nice.
The other front desk worker, Tina, doesn't listen to your needs. She just sort of yells. I don't get it.

The towels are disgusting actually. I saw red stains (blood?) on the wash clothes before trying to use them. Um. Clean your towels! That's one of the responsibilities of EVERY hotel.

The credit card machine was down when we visited, so we had to get cash to pay. How inconvenient. Okay for location. Probably a little shady at night with the local trash wandering around, but okay for a budget hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sean J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
I'am very sorry to hear about you negative experience with our hotel. I assure you that the problems that you explained will be handled accordingly. If you are planning a trip to Albuquerque anytime soon please allow us to show you that we have fixed you issues.
Silver City, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Very cool desk clerk!
Nice room with two queen size beds that were so comfortable, slept sound, very nice mattresses. Working fridge, microwave oven and TV.
Very quiet, even though right on a very busy intersection. Lots of towels, not those little tiny bath towels. Good rate for two people.
This was my second visit to this hotel and it was just as nice on the first visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Were glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hope yo see you next time!!

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!