“Great hotel for the price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MCM Elegante Hotel

You added MCM Elegante Hotel to your Saves list
MCM Elegante Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2020 Menaul Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM 87107 (Formerly Holiday Inn Mountain View)   |
Ranked #67 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Torrance, California
“Great hotel for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

When I found out the hotel we got from Hotwire, I went on Tripadvisor and became anxious because several comments were very negative. However, MCM Elegante Hotel was EXCELLENT! Our family of 6 arrived to fast and friendly service, vouchers for both my husband and I for 2 free drinks each in the lounge, beautiful breakfast buffet with already made sausage, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast, bagels, cereal, beverages and both waffle and omlette bars. The rooms were clean and stocked with Bath and Body Works ammenities. The staff was helpful and friendly. I highly recommend this hotel. It did not resemble any of the negative comments on Tripadvisor.

• Liked — the price and extras
  • Disliked — parking in the back was dark at night
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

I often book hotels through Hotwire and haven't ever had a problem, but after reading the other reviews here, I was honestly worried that this hotel would be awful. Fortunately, my experience was almost exactly the opposite of the bad reviews posted here.

The hotel was clean and nice and the staff was all very friendly. I think that they're trying very, very hard to do a good job. We stayed on July 24, and then I stayed there again on Aug. 2 when I was driving back through ABQ. The hotel still needs minor updating -- for example, the tubs in both of the rooms could stand replacing -- but other than that I have no complaints. They were also giving out drink coupons for 2 free adult drinks/adult at check-in, as well as a free full breakfast buffet for each guest.

I'm pretty picky with my hotels, but I was so pleasantly surprised by the MCM Elegante that I chose to stay there a second time. I've stayed in a lot of so-called 4-star hotels that I wouldn't stay in again, but I'd stay at the MCM Elegante again, without question. I wouldn't want to stay there for a week, but for a night or two, it is just fine, and a good value at the price.

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — Dated bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews for the MCM. Four friends and I had to fly to Albuquerque for a funeral last week and one of them booked us at the MCM. After reading the reviews, I was hesitant to stay there. However, it more than lived up to expectations.

For starters, it's conveniently located - about a ten minute drive to the airport and five minutes from downtown. The beds were pillowtop mattresses and quite comfortable. My room was cleaned each day and was more than adequate. A nice touch was the hot breakfast bar with omelette station and two free drinks per person per night at the hotel bar, which was also more than adequate. Finally, having the USA Today delivered to your front door is also nice. All in all, a very good place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

I inadvertenly left a pair of dress shoes during my stay. I called to have them mailed to me, only to be told they could not be found. My shoes were stolen by the housekeeping staff. The hotel said there was nothing they could do and they TRUST their employees. What a joke. The place is a remodeled Holiday Inn. The "complimentary" breakfast consists of rubbery eggs, and hard biscuits. The wireless internet did not work unless you were in the lobby. I cannot say one good thing about this place, other than apparently someone who needed shoes more than I did got a pair at my expense. Is that tax deductible???

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for just one night on the way through town. I booked online and had no trouble at all checking in.

The room and furniture was obviously not "new." But it was clean and cool (cool in Albuquerque in August is extremely important!). The bed was comfortable enough to sleep on. There was a couch, but I kinda ignored it. We were on the third floor. The view was nothing to speak of as it faced inward toward another part of the hotel. For what I saw, though, few of the rooms would have spectacular views.

What I really liked was the breakfast. In a dining area on the ground floor (difficult to find, but the staff pointed us to it), there was a full breakfast served. It was included with the price of the room, but this I would have been willing to pay just a little extra for. Instead of the customary "Continental" breakfast, this was a full breakfast buffet, complete with fruit, cereal, pastries, custom-made omelettes, and grill-your-own waffles. Great food.

It wasn't a perfect stay, but I didn't see anything to complain about.

• Stayed August 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

We had a family reunion here. There were false fire alarms 3 days in a row...very unpleasant...and disrrupted the babies' naps needlessly.. We couldn't play our DVDs through the hotel TV and no one was available to unblock the TV so we could. No movies suitable for 2 year olds...we have twins...were available. Restaurant service was spotty...we had to hunt down servers for lunch...but the free breakfast was excellent and the service very good. Our room keys were programmed for the wrong checkout day. Result: a long walk around the property to the desk to get the keys reprogrammed. Cribs were unavailable for two nights of our stay, but when we did get them they were free. Facilities for our reunion were inadequate. Our dinner had to be across the street at another facility owned by the Elegante.... a difficult walk for people who are almost 90 years old. The air conditioning in this facility was poor. The room was uncomfortably hot. The staff provided a large fan, but it was so noisy that conversation was impossible while the fan was running, so we turned it off. At the pool one evening, some young people...easily identifiable...became disruptive and management closed the pool altogether rather than simply remove the offenders. Unfortunately, we left some belongings behind at checkout. The housekeeping staff found them and they are being returned to us. We appreciate this very much. Overall, I felt the hotel was grossly understaffed and got the impression that it might be in financial trouble. Whether or not our family might choose to return to this property is open to question. Certainly, if we did, we would expect a higher grade of service and consideration for the price than we received during this stay.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

I just checked out of this hotel today and I am not looking back. For the most part it was an all around terrible experience. There was no one to help me with my bags which made it very difficult for me as I was traveling alone with my 2 year old. When I asked the front desk for help the basically told me there was no one on the premises at the time to help me so I was going to have to do it myself. The rooms are VERY dated and dirty to boot. It needs a ton of renovations to make it decent. It was down right gross if you ask me.
I also had a terrible time getting room service the staff was rude and quite often flat out ignored me. I must have called 15 times before someone finally answered and then they had the nerve to ask me if they could call me back.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to MCM Elegante Hotel? Share your experiences!