“Older hotel with terrific service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of MCM Elegante Hotel

You added MCM Elegante Hotel to your Saves list
MCM Elegante Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2020 Menaul Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM 87107 (Formerly Holiday Inn Mountain View)   |
Ranked #68 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
New York
“Older hotel with terrific service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have read so many horrible reviews of this hotel that I felt the record should be set straight. Yes, this is an old hotel/conference center. It is huge and, yes, it does have its faults. If you are looking for good service and a fabulous breakfast, you have come to the right place. The rooms are small but the beds are new and comfortable. They have complimentary van service to and from the airport and are more than willing to take you to and from "old town" with a designated drop off/pick up spot. The pool area is definitely in need of a serious update so don't expect too much if you have packed your suit. If this is your first trip to Allbuquerque then staying here makes "doing Albuquerque" easy from start to finish. At the end of the day, they have a nice bar.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel based on the recommendation of a colleague, and I wouldn't book anywhere else in Albuquerque. Our room was spacious, clean and the bed was incredible - my husband said it's the best night's sleep he's had in years! At check-in the staff was courteous and efficient, despite the fact that we checked in a little early and gave us some great tips on local restaurants we should try during our stay. Free happy hour was great and we were pleasantly surprised with the breakfast as well - not your typical granola bar & bagel hotel breakfast at all - they had eggs, hashbrowns, biscuits, etc. Overall a great stay, especially when you consider the free breakfast & happy hour, and we'll defintely book here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband and I were very disappointed with this hotel. When we were looking for places to stay, the website suggested that it was a really nice place, specifically mentioning that they provided Bath and Body Works products and some of the finest bedding in the industry. While they did have these items, the room we stayed in was really dirty, which completely overshadowed these benefits. The refrigerator and heater/air conditioner were covered in streaks of food, and the toilet seat actually had dried urine on it. The bedding was very comfortable, but the comforter on one of the beds had a stain on it that looked to me like blood. The room just needed a really good cleaning. If you aren't too picky about cleanliness, this hotel may be for you. Otherwise, keep looking.

• Liked — Nice bedding, Bath and Body Works products
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

The location is not great, nor even good. I do not know Albuquerque very well but the location screams urban sprawl and urban decay. There are boarded up business up and down the street where this hotel is located.

The rooms are passable, but forget watching TV with the heater on, as the blower is like a jet engine. The hallways remind me living in college dorms, with cinder block walls. I assume if I peel the wall paper in side the room, I'll find the cinder block decor as well.

The bathroom on the surface looked clean, but after a few days you start to notice the black stains on the tile and the tub caulking.

The room has nice beds though.

The complimentary shuttle is non existent. It is constantly on airport runs so they make you sit in the lobby and wait for it. Even if you are first in line to take the shuttle into Old Town, you will be bumped if someone needs to go to the airport. Why they don't have a regular schedule to Old Town is beyond me or at least a sign up list. The front desk was apologetic, but they still refused to pay my taxi fare to Old Town, even though I had been waiting for two hours for the shuttle.

I was at his hotel for a conference, or else I would have never stayed at the MCM Elegante for personal reasons.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — Shuttle service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We were here on business, and this was the hotel that was provided for us. After reading some of the previous reviews, we were a little apprehensive, but as it turned out, we needn't have been. Yes, the room itself was a little "worn" looking, but there was a refrigerator, which I liked. The bed was comfortable (I loved the sheets). There was a leather chair and ottoman to sit in, too, and a desk chair.

The full breakfast every day was very good - lots to choose from! We also were given drink tickets, good for two free drinks each night of our stay (but we rarely drink, so we didn't use them this time).

I used the exercise room every day. There were no free weights, which I prefer to use (few hotels have them available), but there was a universal machine and several pieces of equipment for cardio, and two TVs to watch while using the room. I didn't have time to use the pool or hot tub, but they looked nice.

There is a very nicely stocked gift shop, and the personnel in it were very friendly and talkative.

The staff that I met or talked to were very pleasant.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — noisy elevator operation
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

They just need to tear this place down and start over. It's been over two months since I've stayed at this hotel- but my experience was so sub-par that I have to write about it. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

The Room: The room smelled as if someone had smoked in it (even though it was a non-smoking room), the carpet was in disrepair, and there was dust all over everything. I needed to plug in my laptop and I found two outlets that had grimy cords that felt like they’d been doused with soda and then left sticky and dusty. Gross! The bed was the saving grace of the hotel. My husband and I enjoy a nice, firm bed and the bed was perfect- very firm. Couldn’t feel the bed coils at all, that’s all I really care about.

The Staff: The front desk staff was friendly. The restaurant staff was terrible. I’ve been a hostess and a waitress and I know both jobs are not the easiest, so I know truly bad service when I see it. The hostess was standing next to the kitchen chatting with her boyfriend so long that I actually had to go over and get her attention. The waitress was pretty much non existent- I flagged her down to take away my plate of spaghetti and I was surprised when she didn’t ask if I wanted something else because it was quite obvious I’d only had a couple of bites.

The Ambiance: You can tell MCM took over the hotel from some other company that didn’t want to take care of it anymore. The vibe is just weird, almost like thousands of people’s dreams died there- it’s just a sad, rundown feeling. This was the weirdest aspect of the hotel. The heavy, sad feeling made me just want to leave.

The Facilities: It felt like the hotel was styled in the 90s and has never been cleaned or updated. I know that the 90s wasn't that long ago, but when all of the fixtures, paintings, fake flowers, etc have a THICK coat of dust and cobwebs on them you know that's not the only part of the hotel that's been neglected. It would only take a few thousand to invest in a new coat of paint and some tasteful real flowers- the facilities could be AMAZING if only they would put some money into them. Why anyone chooses to hold big events here (as happens almost every weekend) is not apparent to me. This must be the cheapest place to hold an event in the city or no one would ever come here.

The Perks: 2 free drink tickets to use at their charming (read: small) bar, drinks were not watered down, bar atmosphere was enjoyable. Free dinner the first night: yuk! I'm used to "no-so-great" free food at other hotels- but the food quality is SOOOOO poor here. I had angel hair pasta with a red sauce- I thought it would be impossible for them to get that wrong- but boy was I proven incorrect. The taste, the texture, the temperature, they were all off. I had about two bites and couldn't eat anymore. I did enjoy the free French Onion soup and rolls, though, so that was pretty much dinner.

Overall: Please, just stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The overall lack of care and attention to detail
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clovis, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

I have a two year old and this hotel has a wonderful Pool and hot tub. The food was soo good. And the beds were so comfortable. I will be staying here after my surgery. I would recommend this to anyone that likes to stay in class.

• Liked — Comfort of the bed.
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to MCM Elegante Hotel? Share your experiences!