“Special” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
El Paso, Texas
“Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

St James outdid itself again. The foot was fantastic, The atmosphere wonderful. You cannot go there without feeling like you are royalty. Always have a great time. Thank you.

• Visited November 2013

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“The best tea room in northern New Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff are well trained. They are friendly and courteous. The scones are not hard like hockey pucks but are freshly baked. The food is very well done and is always amazing. We have never been disappointed. We took my grandmother again in October 2013 and she enjoyed the fashion show for "I dream of Pemberly", she's 88 years of age.

Visited September 2013
El Paso, Texas
“FEEL LIKE ROYALTY.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My visit to the St James Tea Room was a surprise gift from my husband. I have never felt so pampered. Our server was very attentive and knowledgable without being intrusive. The food was excellent. Scones, cucumber sandwiches, curdled cream, lemon curd, blackberry butter - things I have read about but never got to try. The tea was wonderful - the best Jasmine I have ever had - very flavorful and aromatic. They even have hats you can borrow so you can get the full experience. My husband enjoyed it almost as much as I did. We will definitely go back again. Be sure and make a reservation so you won't get left out.

• Visited July 2013
Benton City, Washington
“Unexpected English Elegance in the Southwest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was my fifth or sixth time to visit the St. James and each time, it is a wonderful experience. I am reminded that we should all slow down and enjoy a little civility and this is the perfect way to do just that. The teas are scrumptious, the food excellent and the service is unsurpassed. It isn't just tea, it is an experience to be savored. It's wonderful for a special celebration with many or a quiet twosome. When there are just two of us, I always request the Styles room. Each room has its own theme and elegance and no two are alike. They can accommodate special requests like decaffeinated tea (which they do naturally right there for you) and other menu items. It is quite something to walk into an adobe building and enter the world of proper English tea time. A very special place, highly recommended!

• Visited June 2013
Albuquerque, NM
“A Beautiful Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I brought a group of fourteen year-old girls here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Gah!

Actually, the afternoon was fabulous, even more so because I got to watch their excitement when we were seated in the luxurious Bird and Baby section of the Library, named after the pub that J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis attended for their literary meetings. Pages from The Hobbit and Prince Caspian decorate the walls, a fact that was not lost upon the girls.

We sat on two overstuffed couches enclosed by an ornate privacy curtain, perfect for comfortable and intimate conversation. Our server, dressed in period garb, welcomed the girls and made them feel at ease. She brought us a three-tiered arrangement of tea sandwiches, "savories", breads, and sweets. The savories consisted of tiny steak salads, peppers stuffed with corn and herbs, sausage and pepper stratas, and almond palmiers. The desserts were chocolate nut tortes, strawberry white chocolate basil parfaits, and tiny raspberry pies. Traditional scones with lemond curd and clotted cream were also provided. While not items I would have chosen at a restaurant, all of the food was tasty, high-quality, and well-prepared. There was more than we could eat, and we consider ourselves big eaters.

The teas were the real stars of the afternoon, though. I personally hate hot tea, and was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't have coffee. Well, the St. James gave me a much-needed attitude adjustment. Their tea is not the black bitter swill you find in a box at the supermarket, or even at Starbucks, but rather a fragrant melange of fruit, flowers, and tea leaves. We were served three different types: a black tea served at Buckingham palace, a blueberry tea, and an island tea flavored with coconut. I think I drank more tea in that afternoon than I have in my entire life.

At the end of our tea, our server brought out hot towels soaked in lavender water for us to wash our hands and faces with. It felt wonderful, and we were smelling our hands all the way home.

The gift shop of the St. James is filled with beautiful things to drink, eat, display, and wear, as well as all things "tea". I was happily surprised to find many things were reasonably priced;nice gifts were available for under $20, such as jewelry, decorative boxes, satin gloves, and collector's spoons.

It was a perfect birthday party--I couldn't have hoped for more. Expensive, yes, but so is a birthday at the mall or the skating rink. Our "tea party" was truly special and distinctive--I would recommend the St. James to anyone who enjoys period movies or television shows like Downton Abbey, is interested in British culture, or simply enjoys the finer things in life.

• Visited May 2013