“Your basic hotel..clean, really nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Albuquerque Journal Ctr NW
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7439 Pan American Fwy Northeast, Albuquerque, NM 87109   |
Ranked #35 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
California
“Your basic hotel..clean, really nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

Very clean, no smells (that sounds stupid but if youve been to a sub standard hotel you know what Im talking about), very friendly staff, nice complementary breakfast, small gym but it suited our needs, we had a slightly cold shower a couple times but other than that...it was good for the money ($77 a night) and we didnt have any problems.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

I stayed here 09/15-09/19/2007 (5 nights). I got this hotel confused with another La Quinta on the other side of the highway when I first arrived at night.

The hotel is right next to the highway and the parking lot around the building is very tight. Only one row of cars can be parked on all sides and 3 of the 4 lots (1 on each side of hotel) were always full at night. Impossible to get a spot within eye shot of my car, except for the last day. It was very convenient being next to the highway, but I plan to stay in the downtown area next time (downtown seems cleaner and not as crime-ridden than my last trip in 2006).

The room was clean and had a plastic tub/shower (no tiles here), but the bathroom was a little tight (guess I need to lose some weight). The face wash area (sink/mirror) was outside of the toilet and tub area. Nice, but I am used to a traditional bathroom setup. My room had two beds and a desk for my laptop. The desk chair was reclining and not that bad. Internet speed was acceptable for surfing, but I wouldn't download tunes with it.

The room rate included breakfast and the breakfast was decent: make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, fruit (apples/bananas), toast, coffee, juices, etc. The breakfast area was kept clean as well. We ate breakfast at the hotel 3 of 5 days and Lindy's on Central Ave the other 2 days. We liked Lindy's because of the decent food and slower pace.

Restaurants and stores are not within the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but a short drive gets you to these. It sits mainly in an industrial zone.

Someone busted a beer bottle in the rear parking lot the 2nd night that we stayed, but the glass was never cleaned up. It kind of scattered around as time passed. This made we wonder if someone patrolled the grounds for litter and what other things they were cutting corners on.

I wouldn't stay here again, but simply because of the location. Otherwise, I would stay here for business or a stop over.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

After some confusion on the location, we drove into a La Quinta that didn't look like the standard La Quinta Inn (it was formerly a Baymont Budget motel and looks like it). If you're looking for clean, basic amenities, and internet connectivity, this is the place. You're getting what you pay for.

• Liked — Working air conditioner
  • Disliked — Overall appearance
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and of course did not know where we would be staying, but we took a chance. Through Hotwire, we got this at $37 a night. This was a great hotel. Very close to the Balloon Fiesta Park and Sandia Peak. The rooms were very nice, clean, and quiet! The complimentary breakfast included homemade waffles! We liked this hotel so much that when we returned home from our trip out west that we stayed here again! Also - if you come to Albuquerque, you need to shop in downtown at Skip Maisel's for Indian jewelry, pottery, etc. The prices here are the best! We stopped here going out west and again on our return trip home!

• Liked — Close to Balloon Fiesta park
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

Like a few other reviewers, we went to the wrong La Quinta but it is just a bit down the street. The front desk receptionist brought up the fact that I booked it through priceline when we checked in. After he gave me the room number, I asked him if it was a smoking room and he said it was. I have a feeling the hotel has a policy of assigning the worst rooms to priceline bookings. However, I asked if the hotel is sold out and if they had a non smoking room available. Turned out the receptionist was nice and gave us a non smoking room on the second floor facing away from the freeway. He told us about the breakfast buffet which was included in the room price.

The room was very nice, clean and looked newly renovated. My husband found some warm chocolate chips cookies in the lobby around 10 PM. I thought that was a nice touch.

The breakfast buffet was very good. They had eggs, bagels, toast and make-it -yourself waffles. All in all, we had a very nice stay.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — NA
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for upgrade if booked through priceline
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I chose this place because Clubhouse Inn (ranked #2 on trip advisor) was full. This place was similarly priced and was close to the airport. Buying on-line, this place was $65/night and Clubhouse was $69/night. LaQuinta/Baymont had an elevator but otherwise Clubhouse was better in every other category. I arrived going north on I-25 and saw LaQuinta on the right as I was getting off the offramp. I went to check in and they didn't have my reservation. Come to find out, there is another LaQuinta (formerly the Baymont Inn) about a 1/4 mile west on the other side of the freeway. Just a short drive got me where I was going. The front desk clerk was fine but didn't give me any info on hotel amenities. Got to my room and found no info there either. Had to call down to the front desk to find out when breakfast was served, where the pool was, and what time checkout was. All questions were answered promptly but would have been nice not to have had to call down. The room was clean but smaller than Clubhouse and the bathroom wasn't as nice. Breakfast the next day was fine and was nice to be able to make my own waffle. Clubhouse had the same offerings (including waffle making) but also peaches/cottage cheese, eggs, bacon/sausage, hashbrowns and french toast sticks. I'd stay here again but I'd call Clubhouse first.

• Liked — proximity to airport
  • Disliked — had to call front desk with basic questions
  • Tips/Secrets — Call Clubhouse Inn first - if full, this is a good backup
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sunny San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

They say you get what you pay for, but I had high expectations after reading the reviews by other members. We traveled with our 90 year old parents, checked in around 5:00, but found our phoned in request last month for adjoining rooms on the first floor had not been kept. We were on the third floor at the end of the hall which is quite a trek for a senior. The room was nice as described by others, but the next morning, we discovered the elevator was broken, with no option but to take the stairs. This was arduous for our parents, but they made it. We were told by an apologetic and polite clerk that the service company had been called, but they still hadn't arrived when we needed to get on the road, so we hauled our luggage down the stairs, but not before one of our rooms revealed another problem, a clogged toilet, very unpleasant. Upon check-out, the clerk said she was working on an adjustment for all the guests through her manager, and we would hear in the mail if it was granted. This property has recently been sold to La Quinta, and it doesn't seem to be up to their standards yet, with taped over names on the doors, phone and scraped off neon signs in the lot and on the building, as well as the maintenance issues we described. PS: There are many restaurants nearby, but if you are a Gardunio's fan, go to another one than the one near the hotel. We always look forward to a Gardunio's meal when in Albuquerque and this time was a huge disappointment. On this rainy night, we asked for a cozy table but were seated in a hallway by the main entrance breezeway and next to a leaking ceiling with water dripping steadily on the carpet. Our food was cold, and the young staff more interested in congregating around the reception desk and gossiping than serving anyone.

• Liked — Price, polite staff
  • Disliked — Ignored reservation request, maintenance problems: elevator/plumbing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Albuquerque Journal Ctr NW? Share your experiences!