“Very quaint and rustic historic inn---former artist colony” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn

Save Saved
You added Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn to your Saves list
Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   310 Rio Grande Blvd., SW, Albuquerque, NM 87104   |
Ranked #8 of 24 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Very quaint and rustic historic inn---former artist colony”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our second stay here, because we remembered it as so quaint and delightful from a few years ago. Very rustic outside, but rooms beautifully done. Some have hand painted murals by famous artists. Ours had a hot tub inside, a fireplace and a livingroom area. Walking distance from the Historic District and Aquarium, which we loved. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful breakfast in a beautiful glassed-in sunroom included and not to be missed. Very peaceful.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My family rented many rooms here for two nights for our wedding. It was a beautiful location and the rooms were pretty, but there were some issues. To list a few... My parents' room smelled like sewage. The couch "beds" were horribly hard and uncomfortable, even though we had to pay $15 per person to use them. In my opinion they should not charge people extra to sleep on such uncomfortable furnishings. The "hot home-cooked breakfast" they touted was not great at all... just some flavorless eggs and burnt bacon that was neither tasty nor filling. (The breakfast burrito was better, but is something you could get at a gas station or Little Anita's).

Disclaimer: The rest of my review has more to do with the B&B as a wedding venue than as a hotel. The owners were rude and did not value customer service. They ignored our requests and outright lied to us about amenities/prices. For a few examples... Their staff lent my father a cooler and then their owner yelled at him for using the cooler and said he had to take all the ice out of it and give it back for "another group" who had a "reservation" at 3 pm on the same day as our wedding (there is only one place to have a wedding there). ?!? As a small business owner myself I believe in putting the customers first and if one of my staff had lent a cooler to someone, even if I needed it (which I don't think they did... they seemed to just lie to us!!), I would have done whatever possible to get a replacement cooler so I could stand by what my staff had told the customer! There was no reason for them to be like that. We ordered pizza and the owner pretended to be the pizza guy to get into our room and then yelled at us for having "unregistered guests" in our room when we were all registered guests! He accused me of not being a registered guest and said he didn't know who I was or which room I was staying in--- and I was the bride staying in the bridal suite! :( I don't know why they had to be so difficult and rude.

The other owner (wife) was flaky/late in her responses to my questions and would confuse me with other brides/events and then tell me she was mistaken and turn around and give me the opposite answer. It seemed they went out of their way to make our day more stressful by telling us the wrong thing-- for example, that we had not rented rooms (when we had), or that we could not get into the reception area until 3 when my contract clearly stated noon, or by trying to shut down our reception at 11 pm when my contract said midnight. After we corrected them on everything it would turn out we were right and they were just confused or intentionally being rather rude and outright lying. They claimed they stopped the music at 11 pm "because the DJ was done" when in fact the DJ is a good friend of my husband's who would have played all night for free and when my husband had gone over to ask him why he had said it was the last song when we still had an hour left, he said the owner told him he had to stop playing. So they just lied and it's like they put on one personality to get us to book the venue/rooms and then changed into entirely different people once we had paid. :(

It was a lovely, and affordable, setting for the wedding and could be a nice place to stay but I really think they need to change their attitude about customer service and put people over profits or their own issues/rude attitudes. It seems to me they are not very happy owners and like to spread the misery. We did have an awesome wedding despite their rudeness. :) And if you are only staying at the B&B you may not have the same problems we did as guests who were renting the venue and many rooms for the purpose of having a wedding. I would not recommend the venue for a wedding due to the poor customer service but I would perhaps hesitantly recommend the B&B for an overnight stay as a hotel guest, since I cannot speak much to that experience and it is a charming place to see. Best wishes, fellow travelers!

Room Tip: The Manzano room (bridal suite) is very large and has a hot tub. Avoid sleeping on the pull-out couc...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Lovely staff, beautiful little courtyard gardens planted with an artist's eye, rooms with tiles, character and modern amenities, delicious made to order breakfast, very convenient location in old town. Doesn't get any better than this if you want a place to stay with atmosphere.

Room Tip: Each room seems to be completely different, but all the ones we saw were charming.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Black Hawk, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A really nice stay! We were visiting Albuquerque for the annual POW WOW and we stayed here at Casas de Suenos. Lorenzo checked us in, was really friendly and we appreciated his time showing us around. I think our room was "Manzilo" with a hot tub in the front room. You can tell the room was cleaned as best as it could but there were quite a few spiders in the corners of the ceiling and some of the surfaces in the room can't really be cleaned. The breakfast was really good and greatly appreciated as an inclusion. I would stay here again but I would definitely pick a different room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you are looking for an iconic Old Town Albuquerque experience, check out --and check into--the Casas de Suenos inn. Centrally located within a bus ride or a brisk walk to Old Town attractions such as the Albuquerque Art Museum (don't miss it) and the BioPark, Casas is a group of lovingly restored 1930's Art Deco-inspired adobe cottages (casitas). It started life as an artist's colony (no word yet if Georgia O'Keeffe ever visited) and all the quirky, romantic courtyards and pathways have been retained and beautifully landscaped. Walk the grounds and you'll marvel at the lushness of the secret gardens and how quiet they are, considering their busy city location.

Each casita features tasteful Southwestern and Native American decor. (The Kachina room is our favorite.) Everything is spotless, well-appointed and comfortable. And, the main house is a beauty. A spacious reception area leads to an airy conservatory dining area that overlooks courtyards with a burbling fountain and an outdoor dining area. Breakfasts are lavish and cooked to order by a very patient chef. The receptionists are warm and welcoming.

Our first visit was in May, 2007, when my siblings and our significant others rented seven casitas for a special birthday celebration and family reunion. We spent four dreamy nights there. Seriously, we had no complaints. We always have an enchanting time there. We've been back several times since; the last time in 2011. It's the ONLY lodging we book when visiting the Duke City.

Room Tip: Book rooms and make any special requests directly to the reservations clerk, by phone or e-mail.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved everything about Casas de Suenos from check-in to check-out! The property is well kept and beautiful.Our room was large and outfitted with nice South West style furnishings. The king size bed was comfortable with a nice, firm mattress. The room also had a desk and some armchairs. A fabulous mural by a local artist covered an entire wall. Best of all, there was a working fireplace that was stocked with fresh wood every day. Breakfast (included) was cooked to order and served in a glass-enclosed alcove. Everyone- from the owners to the cook to the maintenance men- was friendly and seemed genuinely eager to please us. All this at a reasonable price! You couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boerne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Wonderful surprise. We had the pleasure of being greeted by Lorenzo...what a gorgeous man. Kellie's description is perfect. LIke her, we had never been to Albuquerque before and were on our way to Colorado. We loved i!! We had a three room 'cottage,' in a residence originally built as an artist's colony, that was absolutely clean and beautifully furnished - for under $100. Wow! We spent the next night at the Inn and Spa at Loretto, and spent a lot more money, but liked Casas de Suenos much better. I wish we were closer so we could go for weekend getaways there. I loved the feeling we got from the staff - they do treat you like you are special guests at their house. Yes, there are parts of the exterior that could use a lift but it seemed that everything in Albuquerque needed some kind of refurbish. The summers must be brutal.

Room Tip: I don't know - they are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn? Share your experiences!