“Tranquil, Romantic, Inviting & Private - a Four Night Stay I Wish I Could've Extended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn

You added Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn to your Saves list
Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   310 Rio Grande Blvd., SW, Albuquerque, NM 87104   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Houses of Dreams ~~~Casas De Suenos is in good hands, and we experienced the tranquility, privacy and romance that is Casas De Suenos. Checking in was a breeze, and a large dispenser of mint water awaited us, right next to the pamphlets of what to do and see.

My guy and I stayed in our deliciously cozy quarters, "Faralito," located around the simply engaging courtyard. Almost 100 years old, the hotel is made of thick adobe walls.. Built when double size beds were the norm for large, our rustic queen size was a bit of a squeeze. In the end, it was just fine. The only thing I might change if would be to update the lighting with dimmer switches.

The living room is warm and inviting with a big flat screen TV tucked away behind a Spanish style console. Leather easy chairs and a southwestern covered couch was comfortable. For better romantic lighting, I draped a scarf over one of the two wrought iron lamps with the cool leather-like shades.

When morning came, we rolled out of bed refreshed and headed over to the dining room for our coffee which besides mugs, they also provide foam cups to take back to the room. There was a delicious platter of cubed watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe, next to a closed bin of whole wheat muffins, traditional bagels, and white bread for toasting. Three bowls of jams awaited, right next to the individual packages of cream cheese. On the buffet on the right side of the kitchen entrance, was a selection of oatmeal, granola and raisin bran. Oh, and yogurt! If this isn't enough to satisfy, your waitperson cheerfully takes your order. I like easy over eggs and just ordered those without even looking at a menu, but I saw large plates of thick French toast drizzled with syrup and crunchy bacon pass by me. For a moment I wish I had ordered it, and when the customer bit into and sighed, I was sorry I hadn't. Besides regular coffee, decaf and hot water for teas, there is a selection of juices and milk. Seriously, it was divine. Who doesn't like to sit in front of a burning fire that scents the courtyard with pine wafting out to greet you. Oh, my. Several copies of the morning paper await your perusal if you are so interested to read on the incredible glass sun porch, next to remarkable artwork. I even took pictures of the paintings - and I'm an artist!

To return to our room, a little path winds around the property of lush old-growth plants in bloom (October for the balloon fiesta),, trailing over adobe walls and framing incredible turquoise doors and gates. It was so very beautiful that I asked my guy for the camera so I could take pictures. If you want to see them, ask me. I even put them on my Facebook page to share with everyone who has now "oohed" and "ahhed." We could have brought our breakfast back to our friendly little kitchen and eaten there, but the other guests, the owner who was - smiling while busing a table, in between greeting his guests, and the ambiance alone were enough reasons to swallow the last morsels in the dining room.

We had one tiny little issue (the locks were "sticky") and Juan (the maintenance man) was there right away with some WD-40, which fixed it muy pronto.

Check out this warm and lovely hotel - As I said it was Balloon Fiesta time, and they were sold out at $157 (including taxes) a night. It was well worth it to enjoy this personal, romantic, cozy cottage which will surely fulfill your dreams of the perfect place to stay away from the maddening crowd, and in the arms of absolutely lovely innkeepers Mark, Marc and Dana. When was the last time you could remember the names of people you may not see again for another 12 years? Exactly. THEY are that memorable.

Suite Dreams,

Mary B.

Room Tip: They even have rooms with a fireplace, or a jacuzzi. Go for the fireplace...so very ROMANTIC.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This place has a lot of character, some great hosts and perfect location to walk around Old town and some key ABQ attractions. Both Mark and Lorenzo were very friendly at check-in, helped me plan the taxi booking for the airport the next day.
The accomodation itself is peaceful and charming, gives the guests a flavor of what it would be like to live in Old town.
We stayed at four places on our trip to Albuquerque (including one marriott and one residence inn marriott), but this place beats both marriotts hands down when it comes to the breakfast. The chef personally takes note of dietary preferences (vegetarian in our case) and prepares fresh and hot breakfast in the morning. You have a quaint little garden to admire while you sit at the breakfast table on the glass covered patio. Perfect and relaxing !!
One small thing we noticed was that the coffee mugs in the kitchen were chipped. Other than that, this place exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Suenos. Loved it !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fountain Hills, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This place is so run down, you wouldn't believe it. When we were first shown our room, we thought it was a room from an old dungeon; no windows, small, dark, and drab. We asked to see other rooms. After two more unacceptable rooms, we decided on the fourth. When we turned on the air conditioner, which was actually a swamp cooler, we thought the smell was so bad that we'd get Legionnaire's disease or something, so we turned it off right away. Because it was late, we decided to stay one night instead of the three we had planned. We had a very nice young man who showed us the rooms and who offered us a deep discount. The next morning when we checked out, the manager said we could not get the discount. My advice -- STAY AWAY.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed for four nights with a group of friends. My Rio Grande suite was fine, though dated. Others weren't so fortunate. Several people changed to a different hotel when they saw the location of their mini-suites - outside the complex. Others had trouble with pull-out beds that did not inflate. The clawfoot bathtubs/showers were attractive, but hard to get in and out of. There were no bathmats, so the tubs were quite slippery. Some bathrooms did not have places to put shampoos and soap.

On the plus side, the rooms were clean and quiet. The breakfasts were delicious, with eggs and omelets made to order, or french toast, or pancakes. Fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, and coffee were also served buffet style. The location is excellent, a 5 minute walk to Old Town Albuquerque. Close to Rt. 40 for trips to Santa Fe and beyond.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

As soon as we walked onto the grounds after checking in we new we would love this place. The compound was built in the early 20th century by a local artist named Willis, to house his friends so they all would be encouraged to stay, relax and create. The little casitas are surrounding a courtyard that is used to move about and to just relax and enjoy. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom that was newly decorated in the prairie style. A nice kitchen area was more than we needed but we appreciated being able to prepare appetizers and keep our beer and wine cold. We were a 10 minute walk to Old Town Albuquerque which had many restaurants to choose from. There was breakfast cooked to order breakfast and the food was fantastic. The fire burning in the fireplace was warm and smelled of the pinon wood so common to NM. The area is beautiful to rest and enjoy and we will be back!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pulaski, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We only had one day to visit Old Town and this was the Perfect Place for us! A short walk and we were there. Our room had it's own little courtyard and and was very quiet yet close to where we parked the car and access to Old Town. This is NOT the place for you if you are looking for clean and symmetrical "box" lodging. Think "back yard guest house". Breakfast was outstanding by the way. Hope to return some day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in the Manzano Casa. We reserved a smaller room, but were upgraded by reception when we arrived for the same price. Breakfast was included and was lovely (as was the room it is served in and the staff), so I would say we got a great deal.

It was recommended to us by a friend that stayed here with her family.  She noted it was older and not updated and would not be for everyone, but unique and interesting.   If you are looking for posh look elsewhere.

I heard that it was an artist commune at one time.  It has a charming courtyard with a gazebo and lots of artistic nooks around the grounds.  It was January, and I enjoyed the winter look ,but I imagined that it must look gorgeous when it is in full bloom.  I envisioned art classes in the courtyard, painters in various spots around the garden, a pottery kiln in a studio, and someone reading poetry in the evenings, as they all gathered around.

It was forecast to freeze overnight.   We saw signs posted to leave the taps running to prevent pipes from freezing.  I haven't seen that at accommodations before.

The Casa was warm and the fireplace made it cosy.  Staff took care of building and lighting the fire as well as preheating the hot tub before we arrived.  The hot tub was huge.  It looked like one that is meant to live outside but added to the unconventional feel of the place.  The heat made a bit of noise during the night but the grounds were quiet and tucked away from city noises and traffic.

We strolled to Old Town which is nearby for a meal, and discovered that the resteraunts close early on Sunday evening. We had to venture a little further down the road to find food at a Tex-Mex- not the biggest treat coming from Texas, but was nice enough apart from our waiter denying us Margaritas because we did not think to bring our IDs. We are more than twice the minimum drinking age. ;- )

The Native American art hanging in our Casa added to the warmth. It is one of the most memorable places we have stayed and we hope to be back agian.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casas de Suenos Old Town Historic Inn? Share your experiences!