“Guests Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Albuquerque
Sahara Motel
Save Saved
You added Sahara Motel to your Saves list
5915 Gibson Blvd. SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108   |
Ranked #126 of 146 hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Guests Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I strongly advise guests to go elsewhere. You cant walk to close convienient stores without a bunch of drunk or high guests stopping and harrassing you.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a safe quiet place to rest, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT. my family packed up...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

This place is in one of the highest crime zones in the city of Albuquerque. There are constant drug deals, prostitution, and violence in this motel.

Customers are shady and criminal. The rooms are disgusting, filthy, and one has to be careful with drug needles and such from previous occupants. Prostitution is common and people staying at the Sahara will most likely be leaving with some sort of sexually transmitted disease. Beware of previous occupants returning to your room to retrieve their 'stash'. They're likely to be carrying firearms and won't like the fact that you're in their 'office'.

We leave nearby this place and there isn't a week that goes by where there isn't a swat team, police car, ambulance, or firetruck on the premises. The owners are an odd couple and the man is often seen driving around the neighborhood in his van "running errands" at 2AM. The citizens in the area would love for this place to just be torn down in order to reduce the crime in the area. Giving these criminals and transients a cheap place to do their business is a detriment to the community and brings down the whole area. We hate this place and we fear for the safety of anyone staying at this disgusting motel.

Stay as far away from this place as possible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

Rated above average for location, beds, and price. Conditions are still similar to my previous review under a similar title. There is still "stuff" piled all over the property. Owner is almost done replacing beds. Most everything else is well worn. Much of the property is still styled from the Route 66 era. Beds and bathrooms are clean. Other living areas and kitchen is grimy. I will again stay here the next time I go to the city. Swimming pool has been drained; "costs too much to maintain and no one used it"

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

Based on reviews here I made reservations. I told the front desk clerk, who barely spoke English, that I would be arriving at 10pm. I ended up arriving at 10 minutes after 10pm expecting to have my room reserved by my credit card, which I gave to the clerk over the phone. She told me in her best English that she gave my room to someone else 5 minutes before I arrived. I stood there in total disbelief as she kept repeating "I sorry... I give discount the next time you come... I sorry... I sorry... I sorry." It just didn't make any sense. I had my wife and my 18-month old baby with me and we were left searching for a place to sleep at 10pm. I wouldn't recommend this motel not just because of this experience, though. I also would not recommend it based on my first overall impressions. The front desk area had the feel of a family operated business that lived on the premises. That probably has its advantages especially with regard to the cost of your stay, but in this case I saw it as a disadvantage because the operation seemed unorganized and unkempt. It was obvious that the owners weren’t concerned about making a good first impression. Plus, I really didn't feel comfortable with the type of people who seemed to be loitering in the area. They seemed to match the impression left by the front desk. In the end, although my wife and I were very upset, we soon came to realize that based on our first overall impressions it was probably better that this happened. So, believe it or not, we ended up thanking God that it worked out the way it did. We found a clean hotel operated by a chain about an hour later and had a good night's sleep.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

I have stayed in many hotels in Albuquerque and this is by far the one with the most comfortable beds. They also have a kitchen with stove, refrigerator and a small dining table in each room. The rooms are clean with large closets. Also have bathtubs with showers for those that like to soak. The new owners are very nice. It is located near the Hospital district and other attractions including the state fair site. Their rates are very reasonable.

They are doing some work on the pool so it will be ready for the summer. I would say if you want a comfortable room in Albuquerque this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2003

Presbyterian Medical Services put me at the Sahara Hotel because of my new baby, and I thought it was excellent. The people there were decent and the room was very clean. The kitchenettes also were nice and so was the garden and pool. I recommend this motel a lot.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2002

Reservation were made by Cimarron Salude-Travel my granddaughter's Medicaid provider for she and I to stay at the Sahara Motel in Albuquerque on the night of Thursday September 5th, 2002. (My granddaughter had an appointment at Carrie Tingley Hospital. The Sahara was selected because they have Kitchenettes. We needed a refrigerator for my granddaughter's Pedisure. We arrived at approximately 8:00pm. I was told by the owner after he gave me the key to our room to be sure and lock the deadbolt because the person who had been living there did not return the key to him. I was uncomfortable with this information but I felt I had no other choice but to take the room. I was in Albuquerque with no vehicle and only enough money to provide meals for the next day. The rooms on the bottom level have a back door and a front door. THE FRONT DOOR HAD NO DEADBOLT and someone had a key to the room. The person living in the room before our stay had abandoned his "Cadilac Lowrider" in the parking space provided at the back door. At approximately 11:00pm there was knocking at the back door. I called the front desk and voiced to the owner that there was someone at the back door. He said he see who it was. He called me back and said it was a cousin to the person who had been living in the room and that it was nothing serious. He gave me his personal room ext. number to dial if anything else happen. I was unable to sleep and felt very unsafe in this motel. The next morning at approximately 7:30am someone was knocking at the back door again. I called the front desk and no one answered the phone, I dialed the ext. number given me and someone picked up the phone and hung up on me. I do not recommend this motel.

Been to Sahara Motel? Share your experiences!