“Once again, first rate” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Albuquerque, NM
“Once again, first rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

On a recent visit to JJ101, the menu coincidentally offered almost identical items to a meal I recently had at a bistro in Santa Fe. How often may one make such a direct and immediate comparison? The steak tartare and pot-au-feu at JJ101 were seasoned with finesse and perfectly prepared; the offerings were delicious. For dessert I had their mouthwatering lemon pot du crème. To my taste, JJ101 continues to be first rate.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

NC
“Excellent dining in Albuquerque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Okay, I have to say I cannot believe that so many places rank higher than JJ101, particularly all the chain restaurants. This has easily been my best dining experience in this city.

I called to make reservations on a Thursday and was able to book spots at the shared table. I spoke to a live person, btw. With one call. And once we arrived, we received excellent and extremely attentive service throughout our dinner.

I had the deviled eggs. They did have a strong horseradish flavor, but they certainly weren't inedible. I also tried a lemon dark bread app that wasn't my favorite. However, they were both interesting and quite affordable. I might just try something else when I go back.

On Thursdays, JJ101 offers a special dinner at $25 for a salad, entree, and dessert. I ordered this, as it included a spicy shrimp and grits. The meal was rich and delightful. The portions were surprisingly substantial. The salad was light with lots of diced veggies and a light dressing. Shrimp and grits is one of my favorite dishes, and both my dining partner and I enjoyed this variation. It was a rich buttery sauce - a beautiful yellow in color, not a mushroom or bacon component that I noticed - with noticeable spicy additions from jalapenos. We also had no complaints about the pecan pie included in the meal.

Granted, eating from the typical menu would be a bit pricier, but if this meal was an indicator? The combination of food quality, atmosphere, and service are worth it. The standard menu changes about 8 times a year, and there are a few offerings to complement the standard menu as well. I was only disappointed that it took me two years to actually try this restaurant. I'll certainly be back, and I'd recommend it to any of my friends who appreciate great food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My friend's birthday dinner was fabulous. From the moment we walked in we felt welcome. Small space and you can see the spotless kitchen. Unusual dishes from starters to dessert. The buffalo steak was incredible.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Too much ego for such little skill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Let me start by telling that if you are vegetarian this is not the place where you want to be. My husband and I treated ourselves to dinner on our anniversary to JJ101, hoping for a great experience. What a disappointment. I ordered her version of devil eggs, which tasted only like horseradish/ Dijon mustard with egg yolk texture. So overwhelming it was impossible to taste the other ingredients. Then we ordered sauté vegetables with harissa, which can be described better as harissa with some vegetables. One more time overwhelming seasoning, no texture no layer of ingredients to be tasted. We inform our server that this dish was so hot it was impossible to eat, the answer we got was that we could have one free dessert. A professional chef would offer to make something else, since you are a guest on her kitchen, but this was not the case. I think Ms. James should have her money back from culinary school, because who ever told her she was a Chef, lied bluntly to her. What we ate could be made by anyone with a much smaller price tag. No cooking experience needed to make such poorly designed dishes. Of course you can give her the benefit of the doubt, but consider your self warned...

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Dont let the fancy name fool you”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went in expecting or hoping for a great experience. But... The choices for a vegetarian are slim to none the one main dish that was roasted vegetables with a Harissa coating on them that overpowered the dish. I enjoy a spice but when that is all you taste something is wrong. As an appetizer we tried the reviled egg and it was loads with horseradish. At least the bread was good. I guess I should have known better when I called and left a message and no one returned the call. I had to call three times before I reached a live person.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere