“This might be our new fave hotel near ABQ airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport

You added Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Sunport Boulevard Southeast, Albuquerque, NM 87106   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #29 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport, RI
“This might be our new fave hotel near ABQ airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We arrived on one of the last flights in to the ABQ airport one recent evening and opted to stay in the city rather than drive for hours to get home. While waiting for our bags, I checked a couple discount hotel sites and happened upon the Hyatt Place. We gave it a try after checking TA, and seeing that it ranked relatively high among ABQ hotels.

It was indeed hard to get to the front door, despite being able to see the hotel from the airport highway ramp and University Blvd. Hey Hyatt, you need at least two signs to distinguish your driveway from those of the 2 or 3 neighboring hotels!

We found it was worth the effort, though, when we made it inside. We liked the modern, well-lit lobby. We were warmly greeted by the front desk guy. We wanted to pre-pay in cash, to minimize the infamous debit card hold, and he obliged.

In our third-floor room, we loved the L-shaped sofabed, the built-ins, as well as the overall design of the space (and my guys loved the very large flat screen TV!) The desk is simple, but the lighting good. The TV is large but in a decent location and offers the easiest, best labeled, most accessible set of inputs I have ever seen. It was late when we arrived, or we might have tried them out, so I cannot speak to whether the front desk charges for cables as another reviewer said (although, since they charge for everything else at the front desk, I would not be surprised).

The sink is in the same area as the bed/s, which I don't like, but many hotels use this style, so whatever. The space for the bed/s seemed small, as did the floorspace in the lav, but there is plenty of other space, so it didn't seem claustrophobic.

The beds, (which are arguably the most important part of any hotel room) were pretty comfortable, and rank just below Sheraton in terms of overall comfort (not as comfy as Marriott, but way better than Holiday Inn). I did remove the coverlet and throw pillows first thing as I do with any hotel that still uses them- sorry, Hyatt, but we want all of the linens to be changed between each guest; when will you get on board?

The room had a minifridge, coffee maker and setup with ceramic mugs, and a small sink, but lacked a microwave; we thought that was stupid. Another thing the room lacked was was a phone book; we ended up cracking open the laptop to find the restaurant info, maps and phone numbers we needed. This seemed like an oversight at the time, but upon reading more reviews here, we realize it is by design, and it is a bad idea. This is an (incredibly) easy fix, Hyatt!

Another easy fix would be to install vending machines, even the luxury chains have them, and as anyone who has traveled with teenagers can attest, sometimes a vending machine means the difference between a reasonable human and an ornery sulker.

The free breakfast was neither the best nor worst we have had. It should have had hard-boiled eggs at least. I expected a make-your-own waffle machine, but they didn't have that either. They did have pretty melamine plates and full-size 'real' flatware, which I really liked. They also had fruit salad which I loved. Our breakfast of english muffin, fruit salad and yogurt was probably healthier than the would-be waffles and scrambled eggs I missed. I understand that they want to steer folks to their paid breakfast options, but they seemed overpriced to me (priced more like room service).

As far as cleanliness goes, it was above average. I would say that it is average for carpets to be imperfectly vacuumed, and grout to be spotty. I hope for the best and expect the worst, don't you? I bring hand wipes into each hotel room and wipe down every surface I'll touch (telephone, door handles, remotes, light switches, fridge handle... everything I think I will handle). I do it without regard for how clean the room seems, and across all brands, even the most luxurious; so far, this method has kept me pretty healthy.

This particular room was pretty darn clean, (although I am glad, after reading the account of one reviewer who questioned the cleanliness of the glasses) that I did not use them.

I checked out the pool and fitness areas (but did not have time to use them) and they both seemed just fine to me. The fitness room has 4 machines, 2 are treadmills. It had a water cooler and towels. The pool also had a couple of towels on the rack.

Having stayed here and having read the TA reviews, I can understand the beefs some folks have with the place, although, some of the issues seem minor to me. Some have asked how the place gets such high reviews; let me try to answer. Good design makes you feel good, and when a hotel feels dated, or is poorly designed, it makes you feel bad. Walk into a Super 8 lobby, and you can tell the difference.

We really liked it and will be going back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bologna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Very very good. A bit "frozen" in the lobby, but very nice and comfortable. Great complimentary breakfast. Very good. The Room is awesome. You can find great deals on internet.
You will love the ice basket and the 40" TV.

Bad only: find the place... you can see it, but you cannot reach it :-) I spent a couple of rounds by car before understand to get in (there's a sort of very large Hotel-lot)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is our second stay in 4 months. The front desk girl this time seemed a little blah otherwise I have found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful. I love that the rooms have a "suite" feel, the soaps are nice and the towels are plenty. There are many breakfast items , though I would maybe like to see another protein, perhaps hard boiled eggs, many carbs to choose from. Otherwise this is definately the best place to stay in ABQ.

Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We returned into ABQ from a trip to Mexico and our incoming flight was late, so decided to overnight near the airport. From the time we walked in to the time we left, my husband and I were both impressed with everything about this hotel. The lobby and eating area are welcoming, attractive and functional and the guest room was the same. The complimentary breakfast in the morning isn't lavish, but it is stocked with healthy and basic foods and was plenty for us. Francine at the front desk was fantastic; even though they appeared to be short staffed the evening we were there she was friendly and attentive, serving as both front desk clerk and barista at the bar/eating area. All around good experience - we will return again!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators when you make your reservation.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed at the hotel because we needed to catch an early flight. We found the staff courteous and efficient. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the rental car port (will pick up when you call), restaurants within 5 miles (will drop and pick up), and the airport. The room was spacious and included a sectional sofa and a desk. The two beds seemed to be smaller than two standard queen beds. The surfaces in the room were clean as were the linens and the towels. The bathroom on the other hand, was not. The bottom of the tub was dark gray- could be a sign of age, but still quite unpleasant. The grout was not much better where it met the tub. The shower curtain did not seal well, so the bathroom flooded no matter in what direction the shower head was pointing. The input panel for the TV/Computer, hung loose from the wall. This was quite a different room than what we experienced in other Hyatt Place hotels. We will not stay again unless we are sure that the rooms/bathrooms are updated.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Booked this room through hotwire $61 for king room. Hotel across road from airport. Modern, clean and good service. Continental breakfast had good variety of food and was all very fresh. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2011
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Our room in this hotel had a refigerator, a coffee maker, a sitting area with a large couch, a desk and work area, and a large screen tv with digital inputs. Our only disappointment in the room was that it also had one of the smallest closests that we've ever seen in a hotel. There is free wireless throughout the hotel and the lobby has several nice areas for talking, meeting and working. To the credit of the management, the staff tried to be pleasant and worked hard every moning trying to keep the free breakfast buffet full and the dining area clean. However, when we received our express checkout as Hyatt Gold members, the bill was $ 50 too high. The desk clerk and another staff member did not know how to correct the error and we were told that no manager was on duty. After 3 days and too many emails to the hotel and Hyatt customer service, we finally received the credit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport? Share your experiences!