“No professionalism” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ragland Mansion

Ragland Mansion
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Petersburg
Ragland Mansion
205 S. Sycamore St, Petersburg, VA   |
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Petersburg
South Chesterfield
“No professionalism”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Claudia Bezeka needs more experience in the hospitality side of running a B&B. Ragland Mansion offers the first floor for party's. I called all three numbers on the website with no answer but a man returned my call and told me to email Claudia but not the email on the website. I told her I was wanted to have a party on September 7th for my mothers 90th birthday and my mother was actually the great great granddaughter of the original owner of the mansion. I gave her a date got a reply that she always looked forward to meeting the owner's descendants. She asked what time I wanted the party to start and end and how many people. We discussed whether I needed a caterer and she said she could recommend some and she would provide tables and serve ware. I gave her the start and end time and asked what her max was and I was going to have the max. I requested to meet to finalize the arrangements and put a down payment on the party because we were beyond email. I got a reply she had just booked my date with another party.........and for me to advise her what to do next! Why did she book someone else. She could have told them that date wasn't available. So I decided to forget it and try for the next day, Sunday afternoon and make it a tea. I asked in the email for a response but got none. I called the B&B and stated I was trying to get in touch with Claudia and the person on the phone just said, "Okay." .....And silence. So I asked how to do that and he said he'd take my message. I told him I wanted to meet with her so I could put a down payment on the party and sign a contract. I didn't want to lose another date to someone else. Well, I've heard nothing, no phone call, no email, nothing. I then see on these reviews that others have gotten the silent treatment as well. Not good. Shame on Claudia for posing as an Innkeeper and leaving people in a lurch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I wanted to visit some of the history of Petersburg and stayed at the Ragland Mansion just on an impromptu weekend. We were greeted by a friendly face, Ernest who spent some time talking with us about our plans and provided us with a printout for a Civil War demonstration and provided several great suggestions for places to eat which we tried and enjoyed. The whole stay was wonderful. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing. The breakfast was terrific with fresh fruit and all of the extra touches on a beautifully set table. We were not disappointed and will recommend your B&B to all our friends. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Evelyn room. Very large with king size comfortable bed for a great nights sleep. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The mansion is beautiful and the accommodations were excellent. The house itself could use some tender loving care but, when one considers the cost of maintaining a home of that size and age, the simple fact that it is being preserved is exciting. Ernest made the stay wonderful, he went out of his way to help in anyway he could. One of the best bed and breakfast places I've stayed in the South. Also, probably the best accommodations to be had in Petersburg, Va.

Room Tip: My family had 3 rooms and they were all good. The 3rd floor is a climb if you don't like stairs...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Estero, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were uncertain when we arrived, but the caretaker did in fact take care of us. Probably your best shot in Petersburg for overnight accommodation. And hey, Joseph Cotton lived here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stopped over for the night and stayed over mid week. The mansion was spacious with beautiful furniture. The caretaker was nice and friendly.
Our room had everything you needed and compared to other B&B's that we stayed in, it was more then enough space. The price was right and we had a nice stay.

We did notice in a house that size and the age of the house that it does need some TLC but I would expect that from a house of this size and age. I would also work on upgrading the the shower in the room we stayed in because it was slightly difficult in getting it to work. But, this would not cause us not to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

After reading the other reviews, I was hesitant but decided to give it a try. Wasn't impressed with the outside because it does need some TLC but once we were inside, I thought it was beautiful! We stayed in the Ragland Suite and for the price it was much better than expected! Beautiful bedroom and sitting room w/TV and lovely furniture. Period bathroom with stained glass window was lovely. The price was different on the website but I'd rather verify with a phone call, especially at a B&B. Marva promptly answered the phone every time I called and was very nice and accommodating with all my questions. The breakfast was much better than expected. I was also concerned that the room would be hot when we arrived but she had turned on the A/C earlier in the day and it was nice and cold when we arrived. It's the little things that make it nice and I would recommend this to anyone. Yes, it's in need of some paint and fix-up but it was built in in the 1780's and it's a huge house to maintain.

• Liked — Beautiful interior, large room and reasonable price
  • Disliked — In need of some outside maintenance
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

The words that come to mind to describe the Ragland Mansion B&B are : unloved, uncared-for.
The home is operated like a hotel: the owner doesn't live there, there is a (moderately warm and welcoming) hired manager on site, who had problems contacting the owner when there were probems with our booking. The problem we had was with the price: their website ([--]) gives a price $40 lower than the price we were charged when we arrived. The owner explained this by saying that she had no control over the prices listed on the website. We received no notification of this discrepancy when reserving the room. The owner was not particularly accomodating.
The breakfasts were mediocre. Guests are given a form with a small number of breakfast options to fill out in the evening.
Our room was relatively clean. It was decorated with a mix of cheap furnishings and appointments and nice antiques. The room, and the rest of the house, was in an advancing state of disrepair, with peeling paint, shoddily-done repairs, no windows that could be opened..
All in all, this was one of our most disappointing B&B experiences, and I can find no reason to recommend the Ragland Mansion.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ragland Mansion? Share your experiences!