“Excellent building and tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Attractions in Petersburg
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
Harlow, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
“Excellent building and tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Centre Hill and its occupants were central to the economic development of Petersburg. It was also Union HQ as the Civil War ended and Abraham Lincoln visited the house, as did President Taft 50 years later.

The turning for the house is hard to find but it is a easy walk from anywhere in the historic area. We bought a triple ticket for $11 which included the house, seige museum and Tiffany glass church.

Visited April 2013

Stony Creek, Virginia
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Annual Ghost Tour of Centre Hill Mansion tonight was truly a delightful event even though there were no ghosts spotted during our tour! The Mansion itself is a precious jewel that Petersburg..., no, Virginia should be extremely proud!! To have this wonderfully preserved historic home available to be viewed by the public, and to have the knowledgeable staff to assist and answer questions is a privilege everyone should take advantage of as often as possible. There are few places where one can go and see such perfectly perserved part of history that displays such craftsmanship and detail in a variety of architectural styles. This is truly a beautiful, elegant home presented with many beautiful period antiques. I would highly recommend a visit and tour of this beautiful location.

Visited January 2013
N Yorkshire
69 attraction reviews
“Interesting tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We arrived on foot after touring other sites and were told tour would not be for half an hour must have took pity on us as she started talking about the photos on the walls after 10/15minutes then we realised the tour had begun. There are stairs to climb up and down in the house and steps down to enter the entrance of building not sure if you are disabled how you would manage. The photos and furniture and history are interesting although some of the rooms need restoration badly. No drinks or toilets available. We visited as part of the 3 museum pass from visitors centre. There was a tunnel of 300 feet from the house to the kitchens and they have a ghost night once a year.

Visited June 2012
alexandria
7 attraction reviews
“Wasn't allowed to tour”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I had purchased my ticket in advance, and arrived for the 3:30 tour. The door was locked, and a sign on the door said "Tour in progress: next tour at 3:30". So I waited outside-I was glad I had my coat on. At 3:42, the door finally opened and a woman stuck her head out the door and said "We're closing". I said, "Well, I saw your sign on the door for the 3:30 tour and was waiting for that one." and she said "We started that tour early, and now it's over". No I'm sorry, or sorry for the inconvenience-nothing. Very poor customer service. As I walked away, she said we're open tomorrow from 10 till 4. It wasn't even 4 today, yet they were closing. If you want to tour this attraction, I would arrive first thing in the morning to ensure that you're going to be allowed to tour. If this was the tour guide that talked to me, I'm not sure how good the tour will be, as there was no joy in her heart.

Visited December 2011
“Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The history of this place is not something that i imagined, lived here for 10 something years, I am going back.

Visited April 2011