“Southern Cooking” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Buffet
Ottawa
“Southern Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Home-style tastes in the buffet and options on the menu if you didn;t want the buffet. . Service was quick. There were lots of locals eating there, a sign we look for when travelling as well as it not being fast food! I tasted some pull pork and southern fried chicken to die for, vegetables that were tasty and the famous rice with beans. My husband had a soup and sandwich and was happy with that.This was a hearty lunch with friendly staff. Worth the stop!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“best food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

My son and I are down here on vacation. We just had lunch at Nanny's. They have the best food ever, I definitely recommend this place to anyone. The wait staff were really friendly. The service was excellent.

Visited April 2014
Hampton Roads
“i hurt myself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

came half way across the state for a class and discovered NANNY'S we ate there 2 nights in a row and walked away hurtin.the food was cooked perfect,the smoked brisket was fantastik and the chicken my god this chicken made my tongue slap my face ,this place was packed out 2 nights in a row ,come here and find out for yourself why

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nanny's is an average restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We visited Nanny's on my way to my parents home from Maryland. I am from Petersburg originally and come from a family of excellent cooks. I was not impressed with the taste of the food. I thought the food was a little bland. The restaurant was of average size and was very crowded and cramped (not enough table or floor room). It appears that the cooks are trying to imitate southern cooking but fail the test. The overall rating is a 5.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, MD
“Cheap and filling but taste wasn't as good as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a casual country-style diner that offers a buffet as well as a la carte menu. We stopped here on our way from Maryland to North Carolina. Based on the reviews my husband and I had the buffet, and I can see why it is popular since there are a variety of dishes, the food is filling, and it is cheap. But most of the items were disappointing in taste, though that may just be because we are not used to this kind of food. Most of the stuff did not look that appealing, and what I did taste was fairly bland--although the pork was pretty good. I was looking forward to trying the fried chicken but the buffet only had white meat parts, and the piece I took was dry. If I had known it would only be white meat on the buffet, I would have ordered a dark meat plate off the menu instead of getting the buffet.
I doubt we would stop here again if we are traveling that route. When you go to a buffet you tend to eat a lot more than you really want or need, and with the heaviness and fattiness of this food I kept imagining my arteries clogging while we were eating! But if you like this type of food, you will probably like this place.

• Visited February 2014