“great little spot in downtown Petersburg” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Diner, Hot Dogs
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Charlottesville, Virginia
“great little spot in downtown Petersburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped in for lunch and the place was filled with locals--always a good sign. I had the bean and ham soup and a homemade pimento cheese sandwich. the soup was delicious--hot, creamy, filling and tastey. The pimento cheese reminded me of my grandmother. They have real sweet tea and they also make milkshakes the old fashioned way. We loved the food and will go back next time we are traveling through Petersburg.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. It is greatly appreciated! So glad to hear that the pimento cheese reminded you of your Grandmothers. Memories of my Gram are one of the big reasons why I enjoy the kitchen as much as I do. Come back soon!
Frannie

90% Recommend
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good food at good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

While touring Old Town section of Petersburg, stopped in at the Dixie Restaurant for lunch. It is a small, family owned place, which is only open from 7-3. The food ranged from the usual burgers and hotdogs to Cuban sandwiches and a crab bisque. The service was friendly, fast and efficient. I had a burger, which was thick and juicy, while my girlfriend had the grilled pamento cheese sandwich and navy bean soup, which was great. It is a nice place to grab a quick bite and we will be back when we are in the area again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for the nice review! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you come back soon.
Frannie
Richmond, Virginia
“Impressive and Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

While antiquing in Old Town Petersburg my wife and I stopped by for lunch and we were really impressed with the rustic building and especially the food. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, hours are from 7 AM to 3 PM but offer a variety of food options. We ordered from the mostly sandwich lunch menu. My wife chose the egg salad sandwich with potato salad while I ordered the Petersburg Club. We were both pleased with our meal. Service was second to none. The restaurant is very clean and inviting and we definitely will go back again real soon and try the breakfast menu. We recommend dining here to anyone in the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
frannier, Owner at Dixie Restaurant, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the review! My husband and I are glad you and your wife had a pleasant experience. It's what we and our staff work towards for all of our customers. I hope you'll come back soon and introduce yourselves! Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Frannie Rawlings
Petersburg, Virginia
“Everything I had hoped it would be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Long a Petersburg staple, the restaurant (and its loyal clientele) suffered greatly during a short stint when it was taken over by another person. I was delighted to find that the Dixie is back the way it is supposed to be. Millie took our orders and Bobby brought us our beverages and of course, Mary is back in the kitchen. Wonderful choices on the menu - regular restaurant fare and the Dixie's specials - chicken and dumplings, stuffed bell peppers, the Dixies meatloaf, baked chicken, yeast rolls and spoon bread. And save room for dessert - rice pudding, banana pudding with vanilla wafers, bread pudding, peach cobbler. The interior is all new though it stil harkens back to its 1950's roots (the booths are no longer lumpy!) Thank you Charlie and Frannie; I'll recommend you to all my friends.

• Visited January 2012