“Excellent Italian Food made me feel like I was back home in Sicily” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maria's Cafe & Italian Restaurant

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent Italian Food made me feel like I was back home in Sicily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was in Norfolk this past week and looking for a great Italian restaurant to take 6 business men and women for dinner. One of the group happened to mention a place he had eaten at and loved in Old Downtown Petersburg, VA (NOTE the WRONG STATE IN THE LISTING). With everyone's buy in, we made the 74 mile drive in one direction for what was one of the best Italian meals that I have eaten outside of my homeland of Sicily. We were met as we entered the restaurant by Maria, who I would later find out was the owner's (Enza and Giovanni) oldest daughter. When I started speaking Italian, I was greeted by a smile and a conversation in Italian (almost everyone spoke fluent Italian, so a perfect place to practice your language skills).. Maria's offers a full service bar including a small but nicely priced wine list and some great italian beer's including my favorite choices. They made a wonderful Antipasti platter for the table, followed by salads and soups that were all excellent. The group had a little bit of everything (we shared, just like the old family style days), from the fresh pasta's across the menu thru the seafood, chicken and veal dishes! All were prepared with care and served with the individual pasta of our choice along with wonderful different types of sauces (gravy). And, least you forget to save room for the desserts, which were all outstanding. Not only was this worth the 150 mile round trip, but I will also make the run next time I am in DC for one of my frequent visits. BTW, don't forget to ask for Enza and Giovanni when you are there (Giovanni is the master chef who runs the kitchen) and talk to them about Sicily and Southern Italian foods. If you don't see a southern Italian dish on the menu and they have the time and the ingredients, Giovanni and Enza will make it for you!!! Now, That's Italian!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Okinawa, Japan
“Marvelous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been to Maria's many times and I am never disappointed. The owners Gevonie and Enzo are . friednly down to earth people who take pride in what they do. I have had authentic Italian food in Italy and Germany and Maria's is on the same level on those restaraurants. Well worth the time and money, easy going relaxed atmosphere and they do lunch and weekly specials. Hungry for excellent food take a trip to Petersburg and go see Gevonie and Enzo.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kansas City, Missouri
“Food Great - Live Music Terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We love the food and the wait staff are really knowledgeable. Although the seating is not the most comfortable, it can be overlooked once you bite in to one of Maria's specialty dishes.
The music, however, is *TERRIBLE* when the live singer/musician is there. Too loud, cheesy songs that are sung poorly, it is enough to run us out of the place. We will return, but definitely not on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Visited January 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Midlothian, Virginia
“Superb, twice in a row!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We have eaten twice in the last month at Maria's, both times before a show at Sycamore Rouge across the street. Great food, fast service! Their daily chef specials are excellent. Relatives from Northern Virginia ate with us and raved about it.

Richmond, Virginia
“One time is good enough for me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

My husband and I went there for lunch today. We were pretty disappointed with our food and didn't even finish our meal. I had the lasagna which tasted like fast food italian and my husband had a panini that he also did not enjoy. We won't be going there again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere