“Disgusting and should be knocked down” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Petersburg
Marietta, Georgia
“Disgusting and should be knocked down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Trip Advisor wouldn't allow me to leave no stars. I have traveled to many, many places and by far, this was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. I am normally not a complainer because I select hotels based upon my needs at the time and thus, I will change my expectations based upon that. In this instance, I needed to stop in Petersburg on my way to NY and we had our yorkies with us. So, we needed hotel that accepted pets. Having traveled with pets before, I understand that either the hotels are high end or substandard. This hotel was way below substandard. We changed rooms three times. The first has nasty rust, etc. around the toilet and shower, the second had dirty sheets, and the third (where we ended up staying) had a broken piece of furniture in it that was left there after it was replaced by a different piece. There were no pillow cases on the pillows and the toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in some time. We slept in our clothes and used a second set of clothes for pillow and used the toilet as if it were a port a potty. The kids showered with their flip flops on with the shower curtain open.

Literally, this hotel must be closing. The grounds are nasty and there were about 3 cars in the parking lot.

I am normally too busy to take the time to write reviews, but I am not only writing this review, I am contacting the corporate office as well as AAA, who had their signage in the location.

Just plain Nasty!!!! You have been warned!!!

Room Tip: None Stay Away
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hopewell, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

In would give negative stars if possible it was to terrible. This was the most disgusting hotel I have ever been in in my life. Everything about it was dirty, even the water smelled awful. I still get queasy thinking about it. I wouldn't stay there for free!!!! And on top of that they over charged me greatly never to be resolved.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SeaTac, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

If I could give this place a 0 star I would!!! We were taking a trip down to Savannah GA and we just needed to stop off for the night. We went into the room and just as we started to settle down and pull off the covers to one of the beds, we noticed on one the the sheets a thick white crusty stain (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) !!! It was disguesting! We soon discovered that there was the SAME TYPE of "stain" on the other bedspread AND also on the CHAIR in the room! I have NEVER been so disgusted in my life!!!!! don't they at least clean there rooms?!?! and when we asked for a refund they didnt give it to us!! they just switched our room. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just AVOID this hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Oshawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

There were cockroaches running across the comforter on the bed. There were left over potato chips and other food remnants on the floor.
There was mold growing in the bathtub and on the bathroom floor.
We only stayed because we had already prepaid for the room and we had driven for 12 hours that day.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I Recently stayed over at howard johnson in petersburg va and did not notice that the matress was soiled with brown stains peeled paint cigarette butts and brace yourself for this bedbug eggs and skins also on the box springs i woke up at 5am in the morning and the bed and head board on the right side where I was asleep was infested with bedbugs they were crawling on me and bit me so many times from my lips to my toes the bb bites started as pink spots that itched like poison oak and began to turn into inflamed big bumps that eventually turned into big black soars that left me permanently scard with big physical scars I have been severely scard not only mentally but physically by the way my husband told the owner the same day no sympathy or a sorry or a call or visit or anything was received from him until 2or3 months later when i contacted hojo.com the worldwide site and filed a report about the incident and he still didnt contact me so after the second time he contacted me and I have been suffering panic attacks since then omg those are the most disgusting looking bugs but everyone take this post into consideration and no i would not reccomend my dog or leave him there they actually changed the mattresses but not the headborf carpet or chairs bed bugs have to be exterminated that does not get rid of them i know that there probably are eggs and bedbugs still t

• Stayed June 2010
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Worst room I've ever stayed in my life got a smoking room here soon as I got to d door I saw a group of men who were drinking right outside my room. They stayed outside my room all day very loud and very drunk Not to mention the overwhelming smell of marijuana as soon as I came across the corner. There were no outlets close to d bed so I couldn't keep my phone close to me to answer it. The cofee maker had no pot the bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned for weeks the beds had for lack of softer term sperm stains on it luckily I had brought my own bedding just n case. Definitely not a place I. Would ever recommend to anyone

• Stayed October 2010
Brigham City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This place was filthy and disgusting. It is nothing like what is pictured. I will never stay at another HJ ever again. I should have read the reviews. Nothing worked... not even the ice machine or washer and dryer. The food place was closed. The Bathrooms were moldy, and there wasn't any source of ventilation. There was pubic hair all over the bathroom. I opened my sheets and found what looked like bread crumbs all over in them. I don't even want to know what the hell it was. I think bedbug skins. Even my bed was full of pubic hair. They gave us another room that wasn't much better, but at least the bed looked clean. We stayed for 5 days and each day our room key got locked out. It was the worst place I have ever been. I took my daughter, and I was afraid to let her touch anything!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Petersburg? Share your experiences!